PDA

View Full Version : Let it snow, let it sn-wait, no!

Rachael98
09-29-11, 04:21 PM
...or at least not yet.
The weather in the UK, where I am, is pretty erratic at times...
For instance, this year January has been snow, February is rain, March is rain, April is blazing sunshine, May is rain, June is rain, July is rain, August is mixed, early September is rain...and then, as we approach October (which the MET Office predict will see snow -.-), we've had a heatwave! It's so hot here, and set to get warmer!
So, it's made me want to ask 2 questions-

What is, in your opinion, the best way to keep cool in temperatures like this (and why)?
What's the weirdest thing that's happened to you where the weather's involved (this could be anything-not just heat in October)?

sterlingempire
09-29-11, 05:35 PM
1. Long sleeves with shorts and/or socks with sandals

2. 4.5 feet of snow here in the US!

tmh690
09-29-11, 05:46 PM
4 Florida hurricanes in 2004 and December snow in south west Florida are pretty unusual.

Rachael98
09-29-11, 11:22 PM
Morning guys...still sooo hot, and it's only half-seven:o!
I don't actually think I can personally match anything quite so dramatic as the two above. Although we did have the 1987 storm (Remember that? M. Fish: "Someone called in to say there's a hurricane in the way; this is not true". Way to go:p. Next day, complete destruction...)

sterlingempire
09-30-11, 03:55 AM
Oh oh! I have one! Hurricane in the Northeast, where water is cold.

sissy8
09-30-11, 04:03 AM
we have in holland at the moment also great weather lots of sun till tuesday at least i love it because our summer was just like winter

MiniLaura
09-30-11, 05:13 AM
1. You'll have to define hot. To me, "heat wave" means temperatures over 100 F (38 C). I'm guessing that it's not that hot there.

2. In late Aug 2008, we were preparing to leave on a 2 week trip to Australia. Hurricane Gustav was in the Gulf of Mexico, and I was worried that it would hit Houston (where we lived) while we were gone. EVERYONE laughed at me and said that hurricanes rarely hit Houston, and most hurricanes didn't do much damage anyway, blah, blah, blah. Two weeks later, Hurricane Ike (second costliest hurricane to hit the US: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Ike ) hit Houston while we were on our way home and flying over the Pacific Ocean.

We managed to get home by flying to Austin and driving to Houston, only to find chaos. Trees down everywhere, almost no electricity, roads still flooded, etc. We ended up living the next 12 days without electricity. yay. Thankfully, the temps did not get above 90 F (32 C) during those days.

mattdiner
09-30-11, 05:16 AM
1. Snow storm the first day.
2. 90 degree temperatures the next...

True story

sterlingempire
09-30-11, 04:48 PM
1. Snow storm the first day.
2. 90 degree temperatures the next...

True story

Yes thats happened to be once before... which area are you located in?

mattdiner
09-30-11, 05:10 PM
Yes thats happened to be once before... which area are you located in?

New York, US

Rachael98
10-01-11, 02:03 AM
OK...we just got the hottest Sept 30 in a century, and it's predicted that we're about to break the record for the hottest October day ever:(; Mini-I'm more startled that it's in October than anything else.
And we have snow predicted this month too!

Rachael98
10-02-11, 11:31 PM
15?c at 07:30...and time for a weather update.

This week, all of the UK will just about half its temperature (Scotland and N. England have done so already), and then parts of the north will have snow by Thursday. Which is ridiculous.