PDA

View Full Version : A profile that neighbors can access from your wall

meanmom3116
09-25-11, 07:07 PM
I'm sure there is a thread for this, but I couldn't find it. :) Could we have a tab on our wall where we could put a profile? I have neighbors ask where I'm from, how old I am, things like that. It would be easier if we could create a profile that everyone could see. Maybe an area that says... At work, on vacation, or sleeping would be nice too.. I've had people threaten to delete me because it took me a few hours to clear tips. As I have over 900 neighbors, I'm not really worried, but an icon at the top of our wall would be nice! :)

joyirene
09-25-11, 07:50 PM
I read about having a status message or something. I think it would be a great idea. We could announce when on vacation, post what materials we'd like to receive, etc.

queenrocks77
09-25-11, 08:23 PM
I don't think they will do this because of minors (tweens) who play the games. It's an issue of safety. Plus we can't even get TL to extend the song timer or add a collect all tips button. :p

meanmom3116
09-26-11, 08:08 AM
I do not see that being an issue... I have 4 kids that play online games. Most profiles are pretty generic. Parents and schools all teach Internet safety. I see crazier stuff on wall postings. One of my neighbors has about 20 posts about beating her up or even ****ing her. You can learn much more from facebook which all the kids seem to be on these days.

Rachael98
09-26-11, 08:12 AM
I do not see that being an issue... I have 4 kids that play online games. Most profiles are pretty generic. Parents and schools all teach Internet safety. I see crazier stuff on wall postings. One of my neighbors has about 20 posts about beating her up or even ****ing her. You can learn much more from facebook which all the kids seem to be on these days.

Inappropriate in-game content can be report (support@teamlava.com)ed.

I think that certainly a status message would be good. Alternately, a function to "Sticky" (like Sticky thread on this vB forum) might be even better-everyone coming to your wall could see it.
Regarding tip clearing and knowing if you're asleep, another thread was discussing dimming/brightening other places as a symbol of their real-time.

143Blue
09-26-11, 08:31 AM
hmm well idk cuz at school they tell us never to give out where we live wht age and stuff like tht online.... theres lots of kids ages 8-12 in da games so as u would think an 8 yr old might give out too much info sooo tht could b a huge problem

queenrocks77
09-26-11, 09:52 AM
hmm well idk cuz at school they tell us never to give out where we live wht age and stuff like tht online.... theres lots of kids ages 8-12 in da games so as u would think an 8 yr old might give out too much info sooo tht could b a huge problem

This is kind of what I was getting at. This age group.

greygull
09-26-11, 10:00 AM
Maybe if there was a list of basic, generic info? Example:

Age: (choice of younger, somewhere in the middle, older)

A drop down scroll menu, not a type in answer area, with predetermined basic info. This is just my thoughts as a player and a mother - I'm ok with my son saying he lives in the US, is younger, and is busy (for like at school).

meanmom3116
09-26-11, 01:48 PM

A drop down scroll menu, not a type in answer area, with predetermined basic info. This is just my thoughts as a player and a mother - I'm ok with my son saying he lives in the US, is younger, and is busy (for like at school)

Exactly.... It would also give people an idea of how to talk to someone. Some posts are completely inappropriate for younger players. Not everyone takes that into account when leaving messages. Also the country you live in would give an idea of when your likely to be playing (time zones, traditions, etc..)

Rachael98
09-26-11, 01:55 PM

A drop down scroll menu, not a type in answer area, with predetermined basic info. This is just my thoughts as a player and a mother - I'm ok with my son saying he lives in the US, is younger, and is busy (for like at school).

Yes, I see your point. I think that'd be good. TL could even put a SafeChat on...;).

xSnowyOwlx
09-26-11, 03:09 PM
You have neighbors asking where you live and how old you are? Sounds like pedophiles!

Rachael98
09-26-11, 03:19 PM
You have neighbors asking where you live and how old you are? [EDIT R98]!

There are many dangers on the Internet, which one has to be wary of, but I wouldn't assume that of everyone who asks any personal detail of you.

Hawaiianmomma
09-26-11, 04:42 PM
I Love GG's idea and Rachael's dimming/brightening/

Maybe just leave out age:younger....middle....older
It's a bit scary even at that because Ive seen some really wicked things on neighbors and community walls for the young ones...that age group is a target.

GG maybe different titles? A different venue with the similar intents.....without being specific.

Or anyone else with ideas? I love the concept but have some fears if this is ever considered.

I'm 38 with 4 adult children, they weren't allowed to have Facebook til they were 17....
I also have 2 new grandchildren that I intend to teach them basics using TL games...I want them to have a safe and thriving environment......many many of my mainland friends use TL as a learning tool for their own families and are constantly safe-guarding.....it is why any form of easy accessible security measures are desired and greatly appreciated....many of us have made large investments into TL....we want longevity with a Safe Neighborhood

A Profile Page is a Wonderful Concept....but Please Make It Safe for All Parties

greygull
09-26-11, 05:28 PM
I listed those ages to be generic, though I could see there could be a problem if someone put "younger". Maybe something more like : not a parent, parent, grandparent? Even those who are not parents but still adults would fit into the first one?

The more the ideas, the more TL could choose from if they were to implement something like this!

Hawaiianmomma
09-26-11, 05:44 PM
I like that GG

nmishii
09-26-11, 05:45 PM
I listed those ages to be generic, though I could see there could be a problem if someone put "younger". Maybe something more like : not a parent, parent, grandparent? Even those who are not parents but still adults would fit into the first one?

The more the ideas, the more TL could choose from if they were to implement something like this!

How about the Generations: Veterans, Baby Boomers, Gen X, Gen Y, Gen Z?

keviPad
09-26-11, 06:21 PM
Wow. I think this is one of the better ideas introduced in a long time. This is one of those ideas most of us can agree on as oppose to the many many other suggestions for the game. Even if it were only a status and thats it no personal info etc. Maybe drop down choice only no custom message, at the very least (vacation, away, etc).

Off topic: How neat would it be to have a countdown timer for each neighbor for gifting.

meanmom3116
09-27-11, 01:15 AM
Reply to the "pedofile comment" I think they were just looking for age appropriate things to discuss. I have some neighbors that get pretty x-rated in their posts, of which I delete as quick as possible, and others that you can tell are school age based on their language. That's where I thought the profile would come in handy. People are going to post whatever they want on your wall anyway. A general age group may make people more aware of their content. It may be a good idea to have a content filter that parents can turn on for their kids, some websites can block personal info like addresses & phone numbers. Not sure how difficult that is... As far as where your from, I have neighbors all over the world. One lives in Austraila and is always a day ahead of me on tips.. We joke about time travel and predicting the future. :)