PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on RS

revort
09-16-11, 06:27 PM
Hi everyone. I have often lurked the forums here but I thought that I would make a post commenting on some of the general trends and arguments that I have seen pop-up in forum discussions.

One issue that I see debated most commonly here related to the ethics of tipping and gifting. For many players the tipping/gifting system is not simply part of the economics of the game, but rather a system in which ethics and common manners are posited. This is not a radical assertion to make. These types of social games rely, obviously, on a particular social system (i.e. returning favors and providing support to your friends to build one anothers empire [so-to-speak]). Therefore it should be no surprise that certain members of the community react with fever whenever the topic of tipping comes up. To not tip back or maintain at least a one star rating can be seen as a greedy/selfish decision.

To those players who react negatively to non-tippers or the like, I would ask you to consider the numerous factors that might influence someone?s decision not to tip. Initially when I began to play RS I was highly appreciative of tips from my neighbors. Now that I am at level 87 I view tips as a hassle. The same goes for gifting food/parts. As a lower level player I preferred gifts of stew over an appliance part. Now that I have almost built every easy appliance, all that I care about is receiving parts. Soon, however, I will likely not care what type of gifts I receive because they will have little use for me.

That being said, I still tip/gift people even if it has no benefit to me simply because of social pressure. All that I ask of those individuals who are critical of non-tippers is that you try to see their actions from a different perspective.

How you react to someone?s actions in this game is likely due to how you perceive the goal of this game. As a player primarily concerned with leveling up, I have little desire for aesthetics (at least until I have nothing else to do). Another person who is cares more about the decoration of his or her restaurant might react differently. Likewise, someone who plays this game for its social connections will view tipping/gifting as highly important.

The second issue that I want to address is the issue of gems and TL?s approach to game design. Sometimes I hear people complain about the accidental use of gems and their desire for TL to add confirmation screens when making gem purchases. I do not believe that TL has an incentive to fix these game dynamics. TL makes money by selling gems, therefore it is in their interest to make it easy for you to spend those gems. While I admit it is frustrating, to me, it is simply the nature of social games with paid extras.

Furthermore, the question of adding buttons for automation (for example, picking up tips or sending gifts) is often asked but I do not think that it is in the interest of TL to implement these features (to do so would simply lead to an autonomous game and a disinterested player base). For many players, the act of tipping/gifting may not simply a chore but a way to create social connections and produce their own karma.

That is all that I have to say now. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

JennyWuzHere
09-16-11, 06:34 PM
That is all that I have to say now. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

No Problem! ;)

Anyway. These are very common issues and complaints. Which I will admit, I am involved in.
But I do not think this would be in this category of RS.

A Moderator should move this to General Discussion. It shouldn't just be involved in RS.

xokay
09-16-11, 06:36 PM
Well said :)

revort
09-16-11, 07:15 PM
I posted in the RS forum because it is the only TL game that I play but if a moderator thinks it should be moved please do so.

Mindslicer
09-16-11, 07:20 PM
Yes I agree those functions would not benefit TL so I wouldn't expect them to update those.

GroupMagma
09-16-11, 07:29 PM
No Problem! ;)

Anyway. These are very common issues and complaints. Which I will admit, I am involved in.
But I do not think this would be in this category of RS.

A Moderator should move this to General Discussion. It shouldn't just be involved in RS.

Well, the thread is titled Thoughts on RS, so I think it should remain here. But if someone wants to make an assenting thread in General, they're free to do so.

3squares
09-17-11, 03:56 PM
@revort, thanks for your thoughts. I try to consider goals when interacting with neighbors. E.g., I'll always send lower level players gifts of stew, and alternate between food and parts for players over a certain level.

My philosophy for my involvement with RS includes these principles:

1. I want to "level up", but I want to earn it. This precludes buying gems or coins. This makes the game more challenging for me. (I may change my tune after my next expansion, though. We'll see.)

2. I don't freak out about having too many neighbors. I can't tip every neighbor every day without developing tendinitis, and I don't care how often they tip me, as long as they pay me a little attention. I have neighbors who never tip, but they send gifts. I have to be ignored for a long time before I drop someone. After all, even if they don't tip, I still get coins and/or XP by visiting THEM, and can consider their choices in decor, get ideas for my own restaurant, and see what an item looks like in situ before risking my own coins/gems.

3. I don't care what gifts my neighbors send. A gift is a gift. Even French Toast earns you coins. Parts can be stockpiled until you want to build something. Sometimes I get tired of looking at stew. If I don't want a gift, I can always decline it, and make room for a gift I do want.

4. Aesthetics matter. This is why I'm not cramming every available space with tables, or "buying" floor and wall decorations willy nilly, just so I can get badges. Empty space is just as important as content. I'm willing to wait until I have enough room for items I want.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Thanks for your thoughts.

ultrafrog
09-17-11, 05:45 PM
I just tip back whomever tips me as a common courtesy. I don't bother trying to maintain a 4 star rating anymore because it's too much trouble.

Gifting everyone is easy, but actually tipping everyone takes foreverrr.

Cassykins
09-17-11, 08:19 PM
2. I don't freak out about having too many neighbors. I can't tip every neighbor every day without developing tendinitis, and I don't care how often they tip me, as long as they pay me a little attention. I have neighbors who never tip, but they send gifts. I have to be ignored for a long time before I drop someone. After all, even if they don't tip, I still get coins and/or XP by visiting THEM, and can consider their choices in decor, get ideas for my own restaurant, and see what an item looks like in situ before risking my own coins/gems.

I agree with everything you said, but especially point #2. I just did a purge of neighbors that have had the same rotted food sitting there for -months- now, but everyone else pretty much stayed. So long as I still recognize the names as people who tip/gift now and again (and I'm pretty lax, it could have been within the last month for all I care) then it's cool. Especially since most of my neighbors seem to keep me around even though I am not able to tip every day, I feel like it's a mutual respect. I have a full time job, family, friends and other commitments irl that come before the game (as I'm sure others do as well). I guess my point is still just that I agree with you and thank you to you and to the op for sharing.