PDA

View Full Version : Rules for Posting in Off-Topic -- UPDATED 2/1/12

GroupMagma
08-30-11, 12:21 PM
Hey guys,

I realize that the forum games are reallllly popular at the moment. Which is good; I'm glad you guys are having fun.

However, right now, the volume of posting in OT is so high that it's actually drowning out some of the posts in the What's New feed. That's bad, since it means I and others can't see users' posts who need help.

Soooooo, let's impose some guidelines.

1) No double-posting. No posting twice in a row (or more than twice in a row).

2) After posting in a thread, hold off until at least four other people have posted. This is more for variety's sake, and to keep threads from getting spammy or stale.

3) No forum games lasting longer than 50 Pages. After Page 50, we lock the thread and move on.

4) After a Forum Game has been locked for going over the post limit, please wait one week (i.e. seven full days) before posting it again. Anyone can start up the new game; not just the original poster.

Also, please note the Forum Game prefix will be removed, as we now have a forum for it. :)

I may add on more later, but these are the OT rules from now on. If you guys notice any threads in need of moderation, please contact myself or any of the mods (http://forums.teamlava.com/showthread.php?16558-Need-Help-Moderator-List).

myweedpatch
08-30-11, 12:41 PM
Can you make a FORUM GAMES section and move all those to it. There are just SOOOO many and they are very popular.

bawpotter
08-30-11, 02:10 PM
That really is a good idea. A sub-forum for forum games.

GroupMagma
08-30-11, 02:26 PM
K, subforum created. Redirects for all existing Forum Games will expire in one day.

bawpotter
08-30-11, 02:50 PM
Awesome! Thank you so much GM!

Mogwai4111
08-30-11, 02:53 PM
Thanks GM! Forum games will still show up under "what's new", and this change doesn't really accomplish anything, but I understand why you did it ;)

bawpotter
08-30-11, 02:54 PM
That way there is a place for forum games, and there is a place for Off Topic.

GroupMagma
08-30-11, 03:05 PM
Thanks GM! Forum games will still show up under "what's new", and this change doesn't really accomplish anything, but I understand why you did it ;)

Well, if I could fix that, I would. :/

bawpotter
08-30-11, 03:07 PM
There isn't any way I know of, and I know the vBulliten admin control panel pretty well.

sterlingempire
08-30-11, 03:42 PM
There isn't any way I know of, and I know the vBulliten admin control panel pretty well.

Now how do you know all that? :p

Rachael98
08-31-11, 02:06 PM
Firstly, thanks for this, GM.

Secondly, it was my idea first! Sorry...I just wanted to point that out:p.

Mog, it's because I nagged him...and because, obviously, it was an excellent idea:D.

You probably want to get VB to look at it or get someone else to go into Developer and rescript (or certainly add a script) to sort it out. Tricky, but possible.

I also have to second Sterling's question. BAW, how to you know about the admin panel? And guys, I'm being good (and now kinda spoiling it;)) by not adding "I wish I did, but sadly I don't":p!

bawpotter
09-17-11, 06:11 AM
@Rachael, I have created a few forums of my own, and I have been an admin on a different one that I didn't create. So, I know my way around admin control panels.

Also, I am sort of bummed about the 50 page thing. We are going to lose some good forum games(: But why hasn't anybody closed the forum games that are over 50 pages?

Rachael98
09-17-11, 06:49 AM
@Rachael, I have created a few forums of my own, and I have been an admin on a different one that I didn't create. So, I know my way around admin control panels.

Also, I am sort of bummed about the 50 page thing. We are going to lose some good forum games(: But why hasn't anybody closed the forum games that are over 50 pages?

I see:).
Good question...maybe Monday;).

kooky panda
09-17-11, 07:20 AM

If you feel that a forum game should be closed, you can send the link to GM to look at.

bawpotter
09-17-11, 06:06 PM
Well, he said that forum games over 50 pages should be closed...

kooky panda
09-17-11, 07:05 PM
Well, he said that forum games over 50 pages should be closed...
If you see one over 50 pages, send me the link and I will go check to see if he wants to close it.

hectorloch
09-18-11, 12:39 AM
If you see one over 50 pages, send me the link and I will go check to see if he wants to close it.

They're not hard to spot from the page numbers given each page will have 10/12 entries.

But if it's the case that they'll only be shut when someone reports it, ask GM to add "Shut at the Special Request of X" so that the players can know who to thank.

bawpotter
09-20-11, 12:34 PM
Oh, cool. So we can remake old forum games.

joyirene
09-20-11, 12:45 PM
Secondly, it was my idea first! Sorry...I just wanted to point that out:p.

Mog, it's because I nagged him...and because, obviously, it was an excellent idea:D.

What was your idea first? Just wondering lol that post confused me a little.

And bawpotter, I'm excited as well that we can add them back after a week, however I am glad that it forced us to make some NEW forum games. At least something good came out of it!

bawpotter
09-20-11, 12:51 PM
Very true! And a few more have almost reached their limit.

Also, I will be responsible for recreating the defunct forum games, since some people who created them are no longer here. I will definitely cite the original creator though.

sterlingempire
10-01-11, 03:29 PM
Are we allowed to bump forum games? Its not like there is any important info, and some of those dead games are pretty cool...

kooky panda
10-01-11, 03:46 PM
Are we allowed to bump forum games? Its not like there is any important info, and some of those dead games are pretty cool...

Not sure, I can ask GM what are the one you want to bump?

Rachael98
03-10-12, 09:16 AM
Incidentally, I presume that the Big Panda Game is exempt from these rules? (otherwise I'm banned:p)

kooky panda
03-10-12, 09:20 AM
Incidentally, I presume that the Big Panda Game is exempt from these rules? (otherwise I'm banned:p)

thanks for reminding me. I will go get exception from CMs for the game(I think we may go over 50 pages).

pinkster73
03-10-12, 01:00 PM

Omg rachael wants to break rules! It's the apocalypse! The world as we know it is ending!!

Rachael98
03-10-12, 03:58 PM
Omg rachael wants to break rules! It's the apocalypse! The world as we know it is ending!!

No, that's on Storm8:p.

I never said I wanted to break the rules, anyway. I wanted to make sure I wasn't!

thanks for reminding me. I will go get exception from CMs for the game(I think we may go over 50 pages).

And the posters in between posts rule;). But you can just whizz around with your fancy Moderator panel and fix anything anyway:p.

mattyboo1
04-28-12, 06:46 PM
What does bumping threads mean

pinkster73
04-28-12, 06:52 PM
What does bumping threads mean

Bump (Internet)

To bump a thread on an internet forum is to post a reply to it purely in order to raise the thread's profile. This will typically return it to the top of the list of active threads. It has been suggested that "bump" is an acronym of "bring up my post"; [1]

however, this is almost certainly a backronym and the usage is entirely consistent with the verb "bump" which means "to knock to a new position".

ThorVII
06-19-12, 08:56 PM
Bump (Internet)

To bump a thread on an internet forum is to post a reply to it purely in order to raise the thread's profile. This will typically return it to the top of the list of active threads. It has been suggested that "bump" is an acronym of "bring up my post"; [1]

however, this is almost certainly a backronym and the usage is entirely consistent with the verb "bump" which means "to knock to a new position".Perfect

sterlingempire
11-04-12, 06:27 AM
I suggest that when re posting a game that has been locked due to the thread limit, then if a new person restarts the game then they should cite the original creator of that game.

jellypie200
03-26-13, 12:27 PM
Wow those are a lot of rules one question why can't we have over the page limit 50?

kooky panda
03-26-13, 01:57 PM
Wow those are a lot of rules one question why can't we have over the page limit 50?
This keeps the games fresh. Once a game reaches 50 pages then it is closed so a new game can be started.

cherryberry9
04-06-13, 10:26 PM

It also gets hard to navigate.

montrianmaster
06-25-13, 01:23 PM
I like to make a forum game

kooky panda
06-25-13, 02:21 PM
I like to make a forum game
When you start new thread under the forum games, it will not post until it has been approved.

You may want to check through the other current games, to make sure there is not already the same or similar game running.

If your game is approved, it will be posted. If it is declined you will receive a PM letting your know why.

Thanks!

mattyboo1
06-28-13, 09:14 AM
When you start new thread under the forum games, it will not post until it has been approved.

You may want to check through the other current games, to make sure there is not already the same or similar game running.

If your game is approved, it will be posted. If it is declined you will receive a PM letting your know why.

Thanks!
why do we have to have our game approved now? we never used to get it approved.

kooky panda
06-28-13, 12:19 PM
why do we have to have our game approved now? we never used to get it approved.
Too many members were starting up similar games that are already running, or starting games that were not really forum games.
This gives us chance to review the game before it gets posted. :)

lollipop_rp
07-03-13, 05:59 PM

Thanks!

Its good that we can get a pm to tell us why our game was denied!
Nice idea

cherryberry9
07-04-13, 12:36 PM
Its good that we can get a pm to tell us why our game was denied!
Nice idea

Otherwise we'd just be wondering...