PDA

View Full Version : cant read the symbols

localyocal2
08-29-11, 05:10 PM
My nbr send me messages with symbols is there a way to read them

greygull
08-29-11, 05:12 PM
Are you on Android? The symbols are most likely Emoji, which isn't available yet for Android. They just appear as empty boxes.

Rachael98
08-29-11, 05:15 PM
Unless the player is very considerate and spends 69p upgrading to a form of Emoji that all devices (including PCs) can see.

localyocal2
08-29-11, 05:21 PM
Yep and I have emoji and still can't read it as matter of fact I have the pro version

greygull
08-29-11, 05:22 PM
Can you take a screen shot and post it on here? Could it be Chinese?

pinkster73
08-29-11, 05:28 PM
No it looks like Chinese but its what happens when people on an idevice use emojis to message an Android.

localyocal2
08-29-11, 05:30 PM
Ok know I understand can't we get one basic symbol program

pinkster73
08-29-11, 05:39 PM
Ok know I understand can't we get one basic symbol program

Well I don't know about that. But I do know that if you play long enough soon you will be able to recognize and understand most of the "Chinese" symbols. Ha ha I can

localyocal2
08-29-11, 06:27 PM
Well please enlighten me

JennyWuzHere
08-29-11, 06:30 PM
if your device can't read emoji, like computers, they show up with rectangular boxes.

nmishii
08-29-11, 06:56 PM
I see mostly rectangles, and some symbols. Every once in a while I can read some of the text. None of it looks like Chinese.

I see the same message on common neighbors' walls. I "read" all the rectangles as "Watered your farm. Have a nice day." or "Tipped. Have a nice day."

For those who can read emoji, in general am I reading the messages correctly? Or what kinds of things are people saying?

JennyWuzHere
08-29-11, 07:00 PM
I see mostly rectangles, and some symbols. Every once in a while I can read some of the text. None of it looks like Chinese.

I see the same message on common neighbors' walls. I "read" all the rectangles as "Watered your farm. Have a nice day." or "Tipped. Have a nice day."

For those who can read emoji, in general am I reading the messages correctly? Or what kinds of things are people saying?

Oh emoji is just little pictures/images that show if you have a device like iPod, iPhone, iPad. I don't know about other devices but for example. I am using my iPad currently. And if I use emoji. They are like images of faces, food, miscellaneous, etc.

joyirene
08-29-11, 07:02 PM
Usually they are just little pictures. Like animals or faces or things along those lines. They can be sparkles for city or thumbs up for fashion or water drops for farms or money bags for restaurant.... There's a ton of them it really could be anything!

JennyWuzHere
08-29-11, 07:03 PM
Usually they are just little pictures. Like animals or faces or things along those lines. They can be sparkles for city or thumbs up for fashion or water drops for farms or money bags for restaurant.... There's a ton of them it really could be anything!

You can read emoji right?

pinkster73
08-29-11, 07:13 PM
For me I get a mix of rectangular boxes and "Chinese" looking symbols. My kids are on idevices so I was able to see the translations for the common phrases like watered etc. I believe a lot of people who post them don't realize you can't see them. If its your neighbors doing it just let them know, if its random people just guess :)

greygull
08-29-11, 07:14 PM
There are other iOS programs for keyboards too. I have one call "iconboard" which has math and Greek symbols, which look like letters in mixed up ways - here's an example - €∀∏ ϒθ∪ $εξ τΗι$ - ฿₡₩₦₥₪₫⊥∃⌡βΨψϒϑϖ. After the dash is just random letters. There are lots of different kinds of keyboards that can do things like that.

JennyWuzHere
08-29-11, 07:15 PM
For me I get a mix of rectangular boxes and "Chinese" looking symbols. My kids are on idevices so I was able to see the translations for the common phrases like watered etc. I believe a lot of people who post them don't realize you can't see them. If its your neighbors doing it just let them know, if its random people just guess :)

That's wierd. I've never saw a Chinese symbol representing emoji. Hmm. It's new to me. All I know is that some people cannot see emoji because of their device and it replaces the emoji and shows rectangles.

pinkster73
08-29-11, 07:26 PM
I'm on Android so I can't get a screenshot of my wall but seriously it looks like Chinese symbols. Even from people like kooky

casadolce
08-29-11, 08:10 PM
What's your storm ID? We can go look at your wall.

pinkster73
08-29-11, 08:20 PM
You'd never guess it. It's pinkster73. But you won't see my wall how I see it

pinkster73
08-29-11, 08:23 PM
Ps Dear whoever just read that: I'm not adding more neighbors, thanks for understanding :)

greygull
08-29-11, 08:35 PM
Your Android right? I can add you from mine, to see it like you see it.

greygull
08-29-11, 08:42 PM
I only saw the squares that Android gets from Emoji. Can you take a picture (with a camera, not a screenshot) and post it on here?

nmishii
08-29-11, 09:08 PM
I'm on Android so I can't get a screenshot of my wall but seriously it looks like Chinese symbols. Even from people like kooky

You can take screenshots with Friday's release. There's a camera button in the upper right. But it doesn't take pictures of walls.

I took a look at your wall, and saw mostly the same rectangles I see on my wall. There is one post there with symbols that look more like Greek than Chinese.

For all who described what emoji was, thanks. It helps.

I'm not at home now but will try to post an image later. The last time I tried to post a picture I really messed it up.

kooky panda
08-29-11, 09:12 PM

yes kooky does not know chinese(barely english at times..lol) my post to pinkster is emoji.

pinkster73
08-29-11, 09:14 PM
Your Android right? I can add you from mine, to see it like you see it.

Yes and I will try to post a picture

pinkster73
08-29-11, 09:22 PM
Oh apparently I'm the only one here with a camera ha ha. Can't get a picture of my Chinese symbols. But they're there for me! It's true! I'm not crazy!

casadolce
08-29-11, 09:29 PM
I checked your wall, lots of emoji. The only "Chinese character" I saw is from Hawaiian Hoji, which is also from emoji, a Chinese character in a square. 「割」which means "cut". don't know why though :)

greygull
08-29-11, 09:32 PM
Here, I took a pic from my Android RS. Sorry it's not the best, and really sorry to my neighbors - I couldn't edit my picture at all.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l581/Greygull42/a3ef1502.jpg

pinkster73
08-29-11, 09:38 PM
I checked your wall, lots of emoji. The only "Chinese character" I saw is from Hawaiian Hoji, which is also from emoji, a Chinese character in a square. 「割」which means "cut". don't know why though :)

Yes they look like that! Mostly Chinese symbols and the rare empty rectangle like greygull

nmishii
08-29-11, 10:50 PM
On pinkster's wall I don't see the Chinese character that casadolce posted and kooky's post was all rectangles, no Chinese characters.

Here's my wall. Mostly I see only rectangles but sometimes someone posts something with other characters

nmishii
08-29-11, 10:52 PM
Well, those images are worthless. The Farm.jpg attachment is readable. I'll try again in a bit.

greygull
08-29-11, 10:56 PM
Those are some of the other keyboards I've seen. I think since they're written in similar coding as basic letters, they show up on everything. I may be wrong - I never claimed to be overly tech savvy lol! Though I'm still not sure if Android has those kinds of keyboards. It's been a while since I searched, but I didn't find anything that could be used in these games, only texts and things.

pinkster73
08-29-11, 11:19 PM
Well, those images are worthless. The Farm.jpg attachment is readable. I'll try again in a bit.

Your pics are fine. They enlarge if you click on them. None of those are like what I see

pinkster73
08-29-11, 11:21 PM
Does anyone see mostly Chinese symbols like me?

nmishii
08-29-11, 11:22 PM
I tried to make the pictures bigger and hit the size limit. But the thumbnails show images okay on a computer and the two attachments look okay on my phone. So I'll leave it unless people can't read them.

Pinkster and I seem to be seeing the emoji different. She sees mostly Chinese characters and I see mostly rectangles. There was a thread a while back where people said they saw Chinese characters, and I really didn't understand what they were seeing since I saw rectangles. Now its making more sense.

nmishii
08-29-11, 11:25 PM
Your pics are fine. They enlarge if you click on them. None of those are like what I see

Okay, thanks.

The first image is your wall. I guess I see it totally different than you do.

pinkster73
08-30-11, 09:52 AM
I looked up my wall on my daughter's ipod and I got to see it with all the proper emoji shown. Very cool

kathym124
11-08-11, 12:07 PM
I'm having trouble seeing some of my nbrs emoji icons for the past month or so. Even with nbrs that I previously was able to see their icons. I'm using an iPod. Does anyone know why?

greygull
11-08-11, 12:08 PM
I'm having trouble seeing some of my nbrs emoji icons for the past month or so. Even with nbrs that I previously was able to see their icons. I'm using an iPod. Does anyone know why?

They've probably updated to iOS 5. I haven't yet, and I can't see some of them either. Have you done the update yet?

kathym124
11-08-11, 12:19 PM
I don't think I have done the update. Is there a way to see if I have? (Sorry, I feel like an idiot!) I have another bakery on a iPhone and I'm able to see all of the icons and I definitely know I haven't done an update on that.

greygull
11-08-11, 12:41 PM
The update was for iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch). From your home page (or whichever page it's on) go to Settings, General, About. On my iPad 2, the Version is the 7th down from the top. Mine is currently 4.3.5

kathym124
11-08-11, 01:29 PM
Thx!! I have version 4.1 so I guess I haven't done the update. Thank you for your help.
The update was for iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch). From your home page (or whichever page it's on) go to Settings, General, About. On my iPad 2, the Version is the 7th down from the top. Mine is currently 4.3.5

greygull
11-08-11, 01:31 PM
You're welcome! Sounds like you might be a few behind - I've been hearing this update can take 2 hours, so plan to be away from your device for a while ;)