PDA

View Full Version : Any Nice Authors?

sterlingempire
08-24-11, 04:20 PM
Quite a while ago I decided to become a bookworm. I read quite a few series. Now I don't know what to read :( Any suggestions?

kooky panda
08-24-11, 04:24 PM
I love scary suspense books. Stephen King has become a little strange for me ... My favorite is John Saul.
First book I read years ago of his was Suffer the Children..

pinkster73
08-24-11, 05:05 PM
My favorite book of all time is Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon. Hands down the best book EVER. And I've read A LOT of books. I've read this one 5 times.

Hawaiianmomma
08-24-11, 05:12 PM
The Pillars of the Earth~Ken Follett
East of Eden~John Steinbeck
A Passage To India~E.M. Forster
Water for Elephants~Sara Gruen

Hawaiianmomma
08-24-11, 05:22 PM
The Emperor's Children~ Claire Messud
The Last Empress Madame Chiang Kai-Shek And The Birth Of Modern China~Hannah Pakula
Gandhi~Autobiography
Island Beneath The Sea~Isabel Allende

di1975
08-24-11, 05:24 PM
What kind of books do you like? Fiction, nonfiction? Fantasy? Historical?

munchiez11
08-24-11, 05:27 PM
I'm a bookworm too and I started with Anne Rice. I love love love her vampire and witch chronicles. If you're a girl, and you like funny stuff, Janet Evanovich is a pretty funny author with her Plum series. Right now i'm reading "One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd" by Jim Fergus and I'm surprised by how quickly I read it. Very gripping. I also agree with Hawaiianmomma about "Water for Elephants." I also have some favorite sci-fi: Sharonn Shinn is amongs my favorite and for young adult, Tamora Pierce. What type of genre do you enjoy???

Hawaiianmomma
08-24-11, 05:34 PM
I loved Anne Rice's the Mummy, she's good.

munchiez11
08-24-11, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I love how her early works are so dark. The witch chronicles are excellent (if you're into that stuff).

Hawaiianmomma
08-24-11, 05:49 PM
The Bhagavad Gita~Paramahansa Yogananda(Most Excellent)
Brian Greene's The Fabric of the Cosmos is a Good read too.

Hawaiianmomma
08-24-11, 06:01 PM
Hawaii's Story By Hawaii's Queen~Queen Liliuokalani
Who Own's The Crown Lands Of Hawaii~Jon M. Van ****
The Colony~John Tayman

Happy Reading Hon

joyirene
08-24-11, 06:16 PM
Dean Koontz is my favorite. Every book I've read is amazing and he has tons. The first I read was Strangers. He's kind of like Stephen king, just not as descriptive. They're mostly horror and move really quickly.

di1975
08-24-11, 06:19 PM
Munchiez: I too luv the plum series...u Gil she stopped going anywhere after book 12! It would have been the top of my recommend list but now, I say avoid. 5 books have not advanced overall story at all!

If you like urban paranormal books, Patrricia Briggs is great! Her Mercy Thompson books are fabulous! Stories are amazing and go somewhere....While I can enjoy graphic scenes, it's nice to find a werewolf, vampire, fae story without graphic details, too! The Mercy books are a big hit with men and women, just great stories.

silver_dew
08-25-11, 02:29 AM
The Bhagavad Gita~Paramahansa Yogananda(Most Excellent)
Brian Greene's The Fabric of the Cosmos is a Good read too.

HM, you have read the Bhagvad Gita, im so impressed :) im a hindu and its one of our holy books.

Hawaiianmomma
08-25-11, 03:15 AM
HM, you have read the Bhagvad Gita, im so impressed :) im a hindu and its one of our holy books.
I Have Read All The Worlds Gnostics. We are All Part of One Rainbow.

Hawaiianmomma
08-25-11, 03:20 AM
May The Divine Light Shine Upon You

sterlingempire
08-25-11, 03:31 AM
What kind of books do you like? Fiction, nonfiction? Fantasy? Historical?

All. Maybe Fantasy :p

crystalrayn3
08-25-11, 08:29 AM
Do you like paranormal or paranormal romance genres?

bawpotter
08-25-11, 03:29 PM
I really like D.J. MacHale's Pendragon series, it is a 10 book series. The first is called: The Merchant of Death.

Phthon
08-25-11, 03:34 PM
David Eddings has several series out. The Belgariad (5 books), The Malloreon (5 books), The Elenium (3 books), The Tamuli(3 books). They are really good.

I also like anything by Terry Pratchett especially his Discworld series.

Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the olympians were very hard to put down as were the Harry Potter books.

Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern series I've reread until they are falling apart.

R. A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms series about a Drow elf named Drizzt Do'Urden are frickin' awesome.

sissy8
08-25-11, 03:40 PM
i have to read again but i am to buzy with the1153:)

elliejean
08-25-11, 03:42 PM
I like Carl Hiaasen (The Tourist Season, Strip Tease and many more) and Joanne Harris (Chocolate, Blackberry Wine and many more)

sterlingempire
08-25-11, 04:02 PM
Do you like paranormal or paranormal romance genres?

No paranormal romance for me. :p I guess this is just a general thread to find good reads. :D

Phthon
08-25-11, 04:03 PM
David Eddings has several series out. The Belgariad (5 books), The Malloreon (5 books), The Elenium (3 books), The Tamuli(3 books). They are really good.

I also like anything by Terry Pratchett especially his Discworld series.

Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the olympians were very hard to put down as were the Harry Potter books.

Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern series I've reread until they are falling apart.

R. A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms series about a Drow elf named Drizzt Do'Urden are frickin' awesome.

These are all good Fantasy Adventure.

Green4life1
02-22-12, 04:36 AM
Well I like Geronimo stilton and Rick riordan because of Percy Jackson and the red pyramid then I like Alexander c London because he wrote an accidental adventure we r not eaten by yaks and I like so many other authors

pops1972
02-24-12, 12:44 PM
James Rollings tells fantastic adventures including Indiana Jones! I've read every single book. He collaborates with many experts to create tales that are almost believable.

farmerpeaches
03-06-12, 12:43 AM
My all time favorite is Mary Higgins Clark...I have some others that I like also but she is my fav!!!!! Some of the others are True Crime writer William Phelps. Lisa Jackson is a good writer also....Wow..I guess I could keep going LOL...besides being on my iPad the next best thing is my kindle.

FarmerZionLion
03-06-12, 04:16 AM
All my friends are superheroes - andy kaufman (really quick and cute book)
Blindness - Jose Saramago (amazingly well written and one of the most impacting fiction books i have read)
Haruki Murakami is great too

and if you like style, Chuck Palahniuk's survivor is his best book

pinkster73
03-06-12, 08:23 AM
All my friends are superheroes - andy kaufman (really quick and cute book)
Blindness - Jose Saramago (amazingly well written and one of the most impacting fiction books i have read)
Haruki Murakami is great too

and if you like style, Chuck Palahniuk's survivor is his best book

Hey I just downloaded blindness yesterday!

Has anyone read Swan Song by Robert R. MacCammon? I've read it many times. Best book ever.

purpsandherb
03-08-12, 06:47 AM
hmmm don't reme er the author but the little house on the prairie books were awesome. and I don't read much. if I xant get in by the first chapter. it ain't ***na hapen. when I read I wanna be there. that series did it fir me. one mor I can read over and over is where the red fern grows. enuf said : )

pinkster73
03-08-12, 10:16 AM
hmmm don't reme er the author but the little house on the prairie books were awesome. and I don't read much. if I xant get in by the first chapter. it ain't ***na hapen. when I read I wanna be there. that series did it fir me. one mor I can read over and over is where the red fern grows. enuf said : )

Omg the spelling police are overwhelmed by this post :p

RealFarmer1222
03-08-12, 11:07 AM
hmmm don't reme er the author but the little house on the prairie books were awesome.

That would be Laura Ingalls Wilder

purpsandherb
03-09-12, 04:34 AM
lol! and thx for the author! hopefuly can find series for cheap now!

lylahmae
03-09-12, 03:12 PM
Jerry Eicher is a good one i came across as a free Friday offer on my nook. Also a book titled Listen I can't remember the author but it was good I will look it up and post it later

lylahmae
03-09-12, 04:39 PM
Rene Gutteridge