PDA

View Full Version : 5.9 Earthquake

sterlingempire
08-23-11, 01:34 PM
A 5.9 Earthquake hit the East Coast. Epicenter was Mineral, VA which is very close to where I live.

Bricks fell off of the Washington Monument. Now it is tilting dangerously.

This earthquake tied with the largest one in Virginia over 100 years ago.

The earthquake was felt all the way from North Carolina to Toronto, Canada.

bawpotter
08-23-11, 01:40 PM
Oh god... I hope I am okay... I live near NYC... I really hope I am okay...

5.9... that is crazy. This maybe the end of the Washington Monument(:

greygull
08-23-11, 01:41 PM
I do hope every one is safe!

bawpotter
08-23-11, 01:42 PM
Well, I am far enough away from DC, so I should be fine. I don't have much stuff on shelves, but I am still worried.

sterlingempire
08-23-11, 01:43 PM
I am close to DC. But my family and I are fine.

Phthon
08-23-11, 01:43 PM
Rock n roll...I grew up in LA. I now live in Oregon and many times I'll wake up at night when we have an earthquake and go "oh, an earthquake" and fall back asleep.

I guess living in LA made me a bit jaded. My hubby freaks out of course.

I hope everyone is ok.

mattdiner
08-23-11, 02:12 PM
I was eating lunch at a restaurant and I thought someone was shaking the bench I was on (a long cushion shared by all the other tables along the strip.) Then I saw that everything was shaking! :0

di1975
08-23-11, 02:14 PM
Yeah, they are saying it travels VERY well in our old, solid rock. Not like jello bowl in ca!

Scariest thing was how long it lasted! 40 seconds felt like forever! I swear, it was longer. But like SE, I am VERY close to it. Go boating all the time a couple miles away from center.

Great news is the nuclear reactor that is less than 5 miles from center is okay!

bawpotter
Was it scary? I have never been in an earthquake before.

GroupMagma
Rock n roll...I grew up in LA. I now live in Oregon and many times I'll wake up at night when we have an earthquake and go "oh, an earthquake" and fall back asleep.

I guess living in LA made me a bit jaded. My hubby freaks out of course.

I hope everyone is ok.

Same. I sleep through most earthquakes. But I hope you earthquake rookies are doing alright.

Hawaiianmomma
08-23-11, 02:15 PM
You can keep abreast of the current status at USGS. They are really Efficient in Updating. your able to watch the rise and fall of tremors.
NOAA if your on the coastline will compliment USGS readings to watch for tide surges.
Aloha and Safety To You Sterling And Any Others Who Are Effected By This.

pinkster73
08-23-11, 02:16 PM
Wow! (Rushes out to Google stuff about it)

Hawaiianmomma
08-23-11, 02:19 PM
Earthquake Details

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude
Date-Time
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 17:51:04 UTC
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 01:51:04 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Depth
6 km (3.7 miles)
Region
VIRGINIA
Distances
8 km (5 miles) SSW (195?) from Mineral, VA
11 km (7 miles) SSE (148?) from Louisa, VA
29 km (18 miles) NE (45?) from Columbia, VA
61 km (38 miles) NW (317?) from Richmond, VA
135 km (84 miles) SW (217?) from Washington, DC
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 2.3 km (1.4 miles); depth +/- 3.1 km (1.9 miles)
Parameters
NST= 22, Nph= 23, Dmin=50 km, Rmss=0.44 sec, Gp= 79?,
M-type=centroid moment magnitude (Mw), Version=B
Source
Southeast U.S. Seismic Network
Event ID
se082311a
Did you feel it? Report shaking and damage at your location. You can also view a map displaying accumulated data from your report and others.

di1975
08-23-11, 02:21 PM
Same. I sleep through most earthquakes. But I hope you earthquake rookies are doing alright.

I slept through my first....25 years ago. Not so much during the day....definitely a rookie and want to stay one!!! ;)

FYI Washington monument is fine, according to the national park service spokesman.

bawpotter
08-23-11, 02:21 PM
That is good. It would be horrible if something happened to it!!

Hawaiianmomma
08-23-11, 02:28 PM
Earthquake Summary

Tectonic Summary

EARTHQUAKES IN THE CENTRAL VIRGINIA SEISMIC ZONE
Since at least 1774, people in central Virginia have felt small earthquakes and suffered damage from infrequent larger ones. The largest damaging earthquake (magnitude 4.8) in the seismic zone occurred in 1875. Smaller earthquakes that cause little or no damage are felt each year or two.

Earthquakes in the central and eastern U.S., although less frequent than in the western U.S., are typically felt over a much broader region. East of the Rockies, an earthquake can be felt over an area as much as ten times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the west coast. A magnitude 4.0 eastern U.S. earthquake typically can be felt at many places as far as 100 km (60 mi) from where it occurred, and it infrequently causes damage near its source. A magnitude 5.5 eastern U.S. earthquake usually can be felt as far as 500 km (300 mi) from where it occurred, and sometimes causes damage as far away as 40 km (25 mi).

FAULTS
Earthquakes everywhere occur on faults within bedrock, usually miles deep. Most bedrock beneath central Virginia was assembled as continents collided to form a supercontinent about 500-300 million years ago, raising the Appalachian Mountains. Most of the rest of the bedrock formed when the supercontinent rifted apart about 200 million years ago to form what are now the northeastern U.S., the Atlantic Ocean, and Europe.

At well-studied plate boundaries like the San Andreas fault system in California, often scientists can determine the name of the specific fault that is responsible for an earthquake. In contrast, east of the Rocky Mountains this is rarely the case. The Central Virginia seismic zone is far from the nearest plate boundaries, which are in the center of the Atlantic Ocean and in the Caribbean Sea. The seismic zone is laced with known faults but numerous smaller or deeply buried faults remain undetected. Even the known faults are poorly located at earthquake depths. Accordingly, few, if any, earthquakes in the seismic zone can be linked to named faults. It is difficult to determine if a known fault is still active and could slip and cause an earthquake. As in most other areas east of the Rockies, the best guide to earthquake hazards in the seismic zone is the earthquakes themselves.

Earthquake Information for Virginia

di1975
08-23-11, 02:30 PM
Was it scary? I have never been in an earthquake before.

For me? Cuz started I didn't know what it was at first, mind jumping, was way too close to pentagon on 9-11, so mind jumps to explosions.....and quickly realized earthquake but it was getting stronger. Didn't know what to do....got family out of house...still shaking...seemed to go on forever. We stood outside on concrete and could still feel ground moving. But I was very close to center.

HATE not knowing how to react....medic in me. Probably did the wrong thing moving family outside instead of doorways? I hate not being prepared and not knowing best response. Didn't think I needed to know,

Hubby thinks "cool" cuz now he's been through many tornados, a hurricane and now earthquake. Needs to go visit HawaiianMomma and see volcano next!

sterlingempire
08-23-11, 02:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amvfA3gxAZM

Phthon
08-23-11, 02:34 PM
outside is good. if you can get out quick. Doorways if not. During grade school I remember having earthquake drills where we all had to get under our desks.

Hawaiianmomma
08-23-11, 02:46 PM
For me? Cuz started I didn't know what it was at first, mind jumping, was way too close to pentagon on 9-11, so mind jumps to explosions.....and quickly realized earthquake but it was getting stronger. Didn't know what to do....got family out of house...still shaking...seemed to go on forever. We stood outside on concrete and could still feel ground moving. But I was very close to center.

HATE not knowing how to react....medic in me. Probably did the wrong thing moving family outside instead of doorways? I hate not being prepared and not knowing best response. Didn't think I needed to know,

Hubby thinks "cool" cuz now he's been through many tornados, a hurricane and now earthquake. Needs to go visit HawaiianMomma and see volcano next!

Safety response for us in the islands is to find open clearing, our land mass is smaller, this method is easier to navigate where to run on foot.

*safety note don't collect the rocks on the beaches while visiting, we do a lot of scattering ashes in the oceans after funerals that rock might be a bone.*don't collect rocks at volcano, mainlanders call it "bad juju", For Us We Call It Pele's Property, We know better to touch what belongs to her.

*ocean currents are strong here, swim in populated areas where you see many locals and not just other tourists,
Kauai has a lot of drownings. Be Safe and Have Hawaiian fun when you reach here.

di1975
08-23-11, 03:01 PM
Thanks HM!

I have good family friend who is Hawaiian royalty....well grandma was, dad offered throne, But didnt want to move back and leave kids/grandkids here. He is not, i guess. Anyway, he often tells stories of Hawaii. I would luv to see.....and I believe in educating myself on local beliefs/customs before going! He always says to talk to him before planning!

The customs he talks about are fascinating....your people have rich and beautiful traditions! I wonder if it's wrong of me to want to go there and yet be sad what turism has done to your beautiful islands.....

di1975
08-23-11, 03:09 PM
Sorry! Just realized how very off topic I am.....

Hawaiianmomma
08-23-11, 03:18 PM
Respect For One Another, For The Land & Water is the Key To Our Affection. We are the Heart of The Pacific. All are welcome, Our Aloha is Never-ending, Me Ke Aloha Pumehana. Malama da Aina. Much Prayers For Your Family's Safety during this time of the Earthshake.

bigbux3
08-23-11, 03:19 PM
Oh gosh. However, I'm in California

silver_dew
08-23-11, 06:40 PM
Heard about it in the news. Hope everyone is ok!! I really don't know what's happening to the world.. Earthquakes, terrorism, violence ... It's a scary world!!!!

bigbux3
08-23-11, 06:48 PM
Heard about it in the news. Hope everyone is ok!! I really don't know what's happening to the world.. Earthquakes, terrorism, violence ... It's a scary world!!!!

Thats why we all gotta do our best and try our best. This world is too crazy. I hope you guys are okay also. Earthquakes there are very, I mean very rare

di1975
08-23-11, 06:51 PM
As a friend said," earthquake and now Irene! What will ya all do for an encore?"

I scared to find out....

ariesblu
08-23-11, 06:54 PM
I found it odd how people left work after it hit.

pinkster73
08-23-11, 07:25 PM

Nothing odd about that. Whenever someone gets a glimpse of their mortality no one ever thinks "gee I wish I had spent more time at work"

jovenal
08-23-11, 07:56 PM
hope everyone's ok!

here in NorCal we get them all the time that a small tremor doesn't move us anymore.

bigbux3
08-23-11, 07:57 PM
hope everyone's ok!

here in NorCal we get them all the time that a small tremor doesn't move us anymore.

Except for the "big one" which is "overdue"

JennyWuzHere
08-23-11, 07:58 PM
I've heard this on the news!
It most be horrible! :(

jovenal
08-23-11, 07:59 PM
Except for the "big one" which is "overdue"

yup! it's coming but I hope not anytime soon...

di1975
08-23-11, 08:02 PM

Oh, that part is hilarious! I don't get the decisions at all around here. I get closing school with little snow....cuz around here it always melts and then redressed....ice everywhere. However, the great old City of Alexandria sent all non essential personnel home. What?

The best part is that building inspectors are non-essential. So the only people who could actually look at a build to confirm it's safe are sent home?!! Id-iottttssss.

ariesblu
08-23-11, 11:37 PM
JUST had an earth quake in northern Cali.

Hawaiianmomma
08-23-11, 11:50 PM
JUST had an earth quake in northern Cali.
thanks Hon, Hope it was within normal range, God Bless You And Yours.

nonny2twins
08-24-11, 06:28 AM
Tks to everyone for prayers here in Charlotte it was shake rattle and roll but no damage just bad nerves

Hawaiianmomma
08-24-11, 09:57 AM
Tks to everyone for prayers here in Charlotte it was shake rattle and roll but no damage just bad nerves
God Bless You Mama. God Cover Your Ohana til He is Finished Moving Things Around.
 

bawpotter
08-24-11, 12:19 PM
Well, a least it is over. Have there been aftershocks?

Hawaiianmomma
08-24-11, 12:26 PM
Peru had a 7.0

redbites
08-24-11, 12:28 PM
In 1960 chile had a 9.5 earthquake which I would definitely not want to hang around for

bawpotter
08-24-11, 12:31 PM
Well, it was an 8.1 about a year and half ago.

bawpotter
08-24-11, 12:31 PM
In Chile, I mean.

Hawaiianmomma
08-24-11, 12:33 PM
Four aftershocks in wake of quake

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - Added 3 hours ago

Yesterday’s Virginia earthquake produced four aftershocks, as seismologists scrambled to learn if the unusually large rumbles that rattled the eastern seaboard yesterday will happen again.
Boston Herald

Hawaiianmomma
08-24-11, 12:35 PM
Washington Monument Stone Cracked, Yahoo front page

bawpotter
08-24-11, 12:39 PM
Oh yeah, that isn't good. I hope they get to fixing that...

joyirene
08-24-11, 01:07 PM
I'm in Connecticut and I know a lot of people that felt the shaking, I didn't feel anything though. One of Yales buildings had to be evacuated but I'm not sure about anything else.

bawpotter
08-24-11, 01:07 PM
Tons of buildings were evacuated, but everyone is still safe. I think.

jovenal
08-24-11, 02:39 PM
here is SF BayArea, we've had at least 4 small shakers. 2 last night and another 2 this morning. Just hoping it won't lead to a much larger one.

joyirene
08-24-11, 02:41 PM
Tons of buildings were evacuated, but everyone is still safe. I think.

In Connecticut?

bawpotter
08-24-11, 10:15 PM
I don't think so... But not quite sure.

di1975
08-24-11, 10:23 PM
Well, a least it is over. Have there been aftershocks?

Yup. Multiple. Didn't feel the 4.2 one last night but the preliminary 4.5 just took me (10 minutes ago) from sleepy to wide awake! Scared the he'll out of me again, shaking bed, the rumbling. Hubby in emergency work so not home. Hate being alone with kids during things I'm helpless against. Logic is not helping me right now. Im typing cuz I'm freaking out. I HATE THAT!!!! CALIFORNIA CAN KEEP EM!

Hawaiianmomma
08-24-11, 10:29 PM
Put the kids with you in a safe spot babe with you, make them climb in your bed if it's a safe spot for the moment
My Prayers With You And Your Family

di1975
08-24-11, 10:36 PM
Thanks HM! It soooooo nice to know someone's there. Kids slept through it. So I have to comfort myself. If kids needed me, I would be calm for them....they don't need me, so I am free to freak out, lol.

This is just unreal to me. Sure, I felt an earthquake once in Panama, but for the rest of my 29++ years, I've lived in Virginia. We are NOT supposed to get earthquakes here!

From you old hands....is it normal for the aftershocks to get stronger? We had 4 I think yesterday but they were 4.2 or below. Quiet all day then a 4.5?

Hawaiianmomma
08-24-11, 11:20 PM
I've lived all kine places in the world, tornados(Upper Georgia), mud rains(Texas&Oklahoma), earthquake(Seattle), Hurricanes(3), Samoa & Oahu & Kauai. One thing is always the same,whether your Seasoned or Novice,the mind reruns it over and over again thinking about how unprepared we truly are and how Precious and Valuable Our Lives truly are when it all comes down to it, in the end we realize how important we are to ourselves, kids, your man always forefront in daily life,but it's in times like these we remember are self.
have a freak feast,then throw it away, keep in tune with your inner alarm and don't self doubt,
When I was living abroad in Seattle I think it was like 5.8, anyway I was napping when it hit, I woke up thinking something's not right, everything's moving, i thought "oh oh I lost my cookies and my brain had snap, better go see a doc for medication" lol after a few more seconds I realized omg stupid RUN,lol, I dodged bookshelves racing out the door with my mini schnauzer like a quarter back going for the goal,lol ran across to the open field and then chilled out laughing.
But timing is everything. Be safe babe and if you really spooked call your man. sweet sweet hugs of Heavenly Protection over all that is yours.

Hawaiianmomma
08-24-11, 11:35 PM
Ok I'm 38 so I only can tell you from my small seniority in years of wisdom, as not for scare you, just being a realist,
When your done flipping out and collect your nerves back in stability go make at least 1 or 2 back packs, with a mini first aid kit, warm clothes, toilet paper, extra toothbrushes, non expiring food like granola bars, chips, some junk food is good for the adrenaline rush, ziplock your important documents unless you got one of those Suze Orman Super heavy duty cases, eat something, lay down thinking if I need to leave which is the fastest safest route, PRAY and Go Sleep.
God no go on our schedule, He do his thing when He like, keep your eyes open, Breathe it's all still okay, you know where everyone is and you know they're alive there is nothing more to do and if you overwork yourself you'll be worthless to the kids if you gotta ditch your house. Sometime the earth shake and sometime not, sometime other things like chain effect happens when He moves things around. Ho'onanea, be at Ease, these are the things of All Life, Chillax Mama

di1975
08-25-11, 08:40 AM
Thanks. I did calm down and finally got to sleep. Should have called hubby. It woke him out of sleep anyway. Both of us hoping other had slept through, lol.

I like your idea. Next time I freak, pack bags. Do something. Great idea.

All in God's hands anyway. Earth shakes just reminds me of this.

LanokaHarbor
08-25-11, 09:55 AM
Pffffft.......didn't feel a thing! And I'm in New Jersey.

Everyone else did, though, so I feel kinda ripped off!!

sterlingempire
08-25-11, 01:01 PM
Just wait till Hurrucane Irene comes to VA on Sunday...

di1975
08-25-11, 01:19 PM
Just wait till Hurrucane Irene comes to VA on Sunday...

Yup! Tornados on our side of storm, too. So, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados.....have we pissed off God?

bawpotter
08-25-11, 03:11 PM
This is not typical East Coast... Normally we are just worried about Wall Street...

sterlingempire
08-25-11, 04:00 PM
Yup! Tornados on our side of storm, too. So, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados.....have we pissed off God?

Maybe. This morning I saw two ravens. One was perched up and cawing. :( :( :( Now I am ssccaarreedd!

joyirene
08-25-11, 04:02 PM
Yeah Hurricane Irene is supposed to hit us Sunday :(

shakiba
08-25-11, 04:41 PM
When did this happen? Because i live in toronto and i felt nothing! Or is it going to happen???

di1975
08-25-11, 05:01 PM
When did this happen? Because i live in toronto and i felt nothing! Or is it going to happen???

It was In Mineral, Virginia, USA. It was felt all the way up to Ottawa, Canada and all the way down to Altanta, Georgia, USA.

I don't think the 4.5 aftershock was felt pass Maryland. Could be wrong. But I'm within 50 miles of the center. I felt it. Hubby was 15 miles away....woke him up.

shakiba
08-25-11, 05:09 PM
If it was felt all the way ottawa, why didnt i fell it. toronto is south of ottawa.

di1975
08-25-11, 05:30 PM
If it was felt all the way ottawa, why didnt i fell it. toronto is south of ottawa.

Well, at that distance, it was probably easy to miss.

sterlingempire
08-26-11, 04:44 PM
It was In Mineral, Virginia, USA. It was felt all the way up to Ottawa, Canada and all the way down to Altanta, Georgia, USA.

I don't think the 4.5 aftershock was felt pass Maryland. Could be wrong. But I'm within 50 miles of the center. I felt it. Hubby was 15 miles away....woke him up.

Who is 'Hubby'?

di1975
08-26-11, 06:35 PM
Who is 'Hubby'?

Sorry! My husband...hubby for short ;)

sterlingempire
08-27-11, 03:56 AM
Oh, ok. :D lol

sterlingempire
09-02-11, 02:12 PM
Looks like the aftershocks arent over... had some ceiling tiles fall of my basement. uh oh.

di1975
09-02-11, 08:02 PM
There was one yesterday. But not big. The new about three days ago said something about three aftershocks. I laughed. There have been 20 or so. Need to check facts.