PDA

View Full Version : Random Facts Anyone??

rr9149
08-16-11, 08:28 AM
I love random facts and useless information. Anyone have some good ones? Any strange laws all? Add to the list, (forum appropriate) here's mine.
Fact: [edit]
Fact: pearls melt in vinegar
Fact: the lifespan of a taste bud is 10 days
Fact: your body is creating and destroying 15 million red blood cells per second
Fact: most lipstick contains fish scales
Fact: bats always turn left when exiting a cave
Fact: a blue whales tongue weighs more than an elephant
Fact: you grow about 0.3 inches every night while you're asleep, but shrink to your former height the following day
Fact: Venus is the only planet in our solar system that rotates clockwise
Fact: by age 60, most people have lost half of their taste buds.
Fact: Avocados are toxic to birds
Fact: chocolate effects dog's heart and nervous system, a few ounces is enough to **** a small sized dog
Fact: an average humans intake of water is 2.9 pounds in 24 hours
Fact: there are as many chickens on earth as there are humans
Fact: roses may be red but violets are indeed violet
Fact: right handed people live longer than left handed people
Fact: polar bears fur is clear
Fact: cat urine glows under black light
Fact: rats can survive without water longer than camels.

woodlake123
08-17-11, 03:54 PM
Fact: I am awesome and nice

rr9149
08-17-11, 10:09 PM
Fact: I am awesome and nice

:-) oh really.

roxabelle
08-18-11, 02:19 PM
Fact: Residents in Edinburgh were once demanded to pay a tax on windows.
Fact: Eggs will float if you paint them blue
Fact: Tennis balls were traditionally black or white, until bright yellow ones were intoduced.
Fact: If you soak raisins in distilled water they will turn back into grapes.
Fact: Carrots are actually purple; the orange ones were produced from a genetic mutation.
Fact: China was invented in 1704 by Major Bowden Thistlethwaite.
Fact: Dolphins give other dolphins individual names. The first recorded incident of this was a dolphin called Brenda Finnegan in 1973.
Fact: Orange juice is actually more bitter-tasting than grapefruit juice, but your tastebuds prefer the colour orange.
Fact: Snow falls in the desert approximately every 108 years.
Fact: Although fish don't have feelings, they have very strong matters of opinion.
Fact: It is physically impossible to lick your own elbow.

greygull
08-18-11, 02:40 PM
Fact: Snow falls in the desert approximately every 108 years.

I have to ask - which desert? Where I live is called "The High Desert", and it snows every couple of years. ;)

roxabelle
08-18-11, 02:45 PM
I have to ask - which desert? Where I live is called "The High Desert", and it snows every couple of years. ;)

I meant to say "on average". In some deserts it is indeed more frequent, and some it is longer. Fact.

roxabelle
08-18-11, 02:52 PM
Fact: Fruit bats can pick up wi-fi connections.

hectorloch
08-18-11, 03:23 PM
Fact: potatoes are also purple but are modified to look a more acceptable colour.

Phthon
08-18-11, 03:28 PM
In Oregon it is illegal to get married in an ice skating rink.

rr9149
08-18-11, 08:36 PM
Fact: you die after 10 days without sleep.

pinkster73
08-18-11, 08:53 PM
Fact: potatoes are also purple but are modified to look a more acceptable colour.

Ha ha I made roasted purple potatoes once thinking that was the coolest potato thing ever and my kids who were little at the time were freaked out and refused to eat them. Tasted the same as "regular" color to me.

Is that one about eggs that are painted blue float? Are you pulling my leg?

rr9149
08-18-11, 09:31 PM
^ i don't know if that ones true.

roxabelle
08-19-11, 02:03 PM
Fact: Most paints use hexacyanoferrate in order to make the blue (cyan) colouration. This reacts very slightly with calcium carbonate (which eggs are mostly made from) causing just enough oxygen bubbles to form on the egg surface, which makes them float in water.

roxabelle
08-19-11, 02:19 PM
Fact: Mickey Mouse was originally going to be named Mortimer. Goofy was planned to be called Wingnut McGee, but had to be changed at the last minute due to copyright reasons.
Fact: Scientists tried on several attempts to breed 'unicorns' by crossbreeding rhinos with horses in the late 1930s.
Fact: Adding pineapple to jelly (jello) will prevent it from setting.
Fact: Cats prefer eating cheese more than mice do. Cats also prefer eating mice more than mice do.

linda_xxx
08-19-11, 03:48 PM
Fact: Adding pineapple to jelly (jello) will prevent it from setting.

So does kiwifruit.

Fact: Kiwifruit will tenderise tough meat, but left on too long the meat will turn to a pile of mush (found out the hard way)
Fact: There are no weapons of mass destruction. Just Chuck Norris :cool:

hectorloch
08-19-11, 04:02 PM
In 1932, Francis De Groot, a retired cavalry officer, managed to get himself selected as part of the honour guard at the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. When the ribbon was about to be cut, he galloped forward on his horse and slashed the ribbon with his sword, declaring the bridge open in the name of 'the decent citizens of New South Wales'. The ribbon was then tied back together and the ceremony continued. De Groot was carried off to a mental hospital, declared insane and later fined for the replacement cost of one ribbon.

There, you didn't know that, did you ?

rr9149
08-19-11, 05:21 PM
In 1932, Francis De Groot, a retired cavalry officer, managed to get himself selected as part of the honour guard at the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. When the ribbon was about to be cut, he galloped forward on his horse and slashed the ribbon with his sword, declaring the bridge open in the name of 'the decent citizens of New South Wales'. The ribbon was then tied back together and the ceremony continued. De Groot was carried off to a mental hospital, declared insane and later fined for the replacement cost of one ribbon.

There, you didn't know that, did you ?

i can't say i knew that. :-) very interesting.

sterlingempire
08-19-11, 06:42 PM
In the average lifetime, a person will walk the equivalent of 5 times around the equator.

Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump.

American car horns beep in the tone of F.

joyirene
08-19-11, 09:02 PM
In the early days of the telephone, operators would pick up a call and use the phrase, "Well, are you there?". It wasn't until 1895 that someone suggested answering the phone with the phrase "number please?"

The roar that we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear is not the ocean, but rather the sound of blood surging through the veins in the ear. Any cup-shaped object placed over the ear produces the same effect.

Every human spent about half an hour as a single cell.

The elephant is the only animal with 4 knees.

roxabelle
08-20-11, 10:11 AM
Fact: 2 identical snowflakes were found in 1986 by Charles M. Schubert. The find was documented but the snowflakes had melted before they could be properly photographed.

roxabelle
08-20-11, 10:12 AM
Fact: Camels originated from Australia

hectorloch
08-20-11, 11:14 AM
Human fingers do not contain any muscles other than the small muscles attached to each hair follicle, which contract to make the hairs stand on end, causing goose bumps.

[PS what our fingers are doing now on our screens is controlled by muscles in the palm and forearm]

JennyWuzHere
08-20-11, 11:23 AM
... Hmm . I'm learning a lot.
Apples have 25% air in them, which makes them float in water

hectorloch
08-20-11, 11:24 AM
Fact: Camels were first manufactured in America in 1913. They were the first cigarettes to be machine pre-rolled and made R J Reynolds much dinero. The name was chosen because the paper used was Turkish - presumably on the supposition that Turkey was full of camels.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/hectorloch/200px-Pack_of_camel.jpg

pinkster73
08-20-11, 12:30 PM
Cats have 3 eyelids

pinkster73
08-20-11, 12:30 PM
The average person farts 15 times during the night in their sleep

JennyWuzHere
08-20-11, 01:50 PM
The average person farts 15 times during the night in their sleep

Ewww. That makes me feel nasty! Ahaha.

Oranges are considered to be the in Berry family

JennyWuzHere
08-20-11, 01:52 PM
The inside of a banana peel is used to polish leather shoes!

pinkster73
08-20-11, 03:21 PM
You are always within 10 feet of a spider. Even right now :O

JennyWuzHere
08-20-11, 03:23 PM

OOOHH !! I'm TERRIFIED of spiders! seriously!!!!!

hectorloch
08-20-11, 03:39 PM
Artichoke is a fruit - no wait, we did that to death a month or so back :)

rr9149
08-20-11, 04:49 PM

Im bigger than them though. :)

rr9149
08-20-11, 04:50 PM
Lemon peel whitens your teeth.

linda_xxx
08-20-11, 05:00 PM

I've got a huntsman living in the spare room, she keeps the other nasties away :cool:

Did you know it takes more energy to make a paraffin wax candle, and it produces more greenhouse gases, that an energy efficient light bulb.

joyirene
08-20-11, 05:47 PM
Fruits are defined as having seeds. So even cucumbers, pickles and tomatoes are considered fruit. I think pumpkins too but that might be a gourd.

linda_xxx
08-20-11, 05:57 PM
Fruits are defined as having seeds.

That would make pineapple and banana a veggie :eek:

ariesblu
08-20-11, 06:00 PM
If you have 3 quarters, 4 dimes, and 4 pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.

The numbers '172' can be found on the back of the U.S. $5 dollar bill in the bushes at the base of the Lincoln Memorial.

President Kennedy was the fastest random speaker in the world with upwards of 350 words per minute.

According to suicide statistics, Monday is the favored day for self-destruction.

Odontophobia is the fear of teeth.

The 57 on Heinz ketchup bottles represents the number of varieties of pickles the company once had.

joyirene
08-20-11, 06:03 PM

Bananas have seeds they're just really small and you can't grow from them, and some pineapples have seeds as well! I think they do something to get rid of them in most pineapples but I'm not totally sure.

ariesblu
08-20-11, 06:04 PM
This is a really complicated question in reality. It seems to be that a banana can be classified as an herb, or a fruit depending on what category you are using. The actual banana plant is not a tree because it lacks woody tissue, so it is an herb. However the banana is still a fruit because it contains seeds and grows from the ovary of the flower.

And pineapples are classified as fruit, I believe, because they spawn from flowers.

Hawaiianmomma
08-20-11, 06:05 PM
The Great Pacific Garbage Patch

Did you know that 100 million tons of the World's trash floats endlessly around The Hawaiian Islands. It consists of laundry baskets,tv's,shoes,tires,kayaks,plastics of all sorts and the list goes on.It ****s a large number of land,air and sea life daily.It is the size of Texas and is still growing larger each and everyday.

ariesblu
08-20-11, 06:07 PM
Cats sleep 16 to 18 hours per day.

Karoke means "empty orchestra" in Japanese.

The most common name in the world is Mohammed.

The most money ever paid for a cow in an auction was $1.3 million.

When you die your hair still grows for a couple of months.

1 in 5,000 north Atlantic lobsters are born bright blue.

ariesblu
08-20-11, 06:09 PM
There are 10 human body parts that are only 3 letters long (eye hip arm leg ear toe jaw rib lip gum).

A skunk's smell can be detected by a human a mile away.

The word "lethologica" describes the state of not being able to remember the word you want.

Every year about 98% of the atoms in your body are replaced.

When snakes are born with two heads, they fight each other for food.

Stressed is Desserts spelled backwards.

ariesblu
08-20-11, 06:12 PM
Kansas state law requires pedestrians crossing the highways at night to wear tail lights.

7.5 million toothpicks can be created from a cord of wood.

The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.

Minus 40 degrees Celsius is exactly the same as minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

The Baby Ruth candy bar was actually named after Grover Cleveland's baby daughter, Ruth.

linda_xxx
08-20-11, 06:12 PM
The Great Pacific Garbage Patch

Watched a doco about that, very distressing.

ariesblu
08-20-11, 06:18 PM
Dentists have recommended that a toothbrush be kept at least 6 feet (2 m) away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush.

Charlie Brown's father was a barber.

The citrus soda 7-UP was created in 1929; "7" was selected because the original containers were 7 ounces. "UP" indicated the direction of the bubbles.

The largest number of children born to one woman is recorded at 69. From 1725-1765, a Russian peasant woman gave birth to 16 sets of twins, 7 sets of triplets, and 4 sets of quadruplets.

In ancient Rome, it was considered a sign of leadership to be born with a crooked nose.

The word "nerd" was first coined by Dr. Seuss in "If I Ran the Zoo."

Ok, I am getting addicted, lol.

Hawaiianmomma
08-20-11, 06:22 PM
Watched a doco about that, very distressing.
Its even worse first hand, dolphins struggling in the surf because a plastic bottle,bag,cans stuck in their breathing holes, turtles with 6 pack plastic rings stuck on their heads choking them....Hawaiians and Many Others Do what they can daily. It's just so massive and never-ending.

Hawaiianmomma
08-20-11, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=ariesblu;114935][FONT=Century Gothic,Technical,Tempus Sans ITC,Gaze,Kids,Comic Sans MS,Verdana]Dentists have recommended that a toothbrush be kept at least 6 feet (2 m) away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush.

 I better move my toothbrush.

pinkster73
08-20-11, 06:30 PM
The keep your toothbrush 6 feet away from the toilet rule: it must be even further if men live there :p

joyirene
08-20-11, 06:53 PM
I looked it up and pumpkins are fruit! Also bell peppers because they have seeds.

JennyWuzHere
08-20-11, 07:35 PM
Limes have Vitamin C in them

JennyWuzHere
08-20-11, 07:35 PM
Limes have Vitamin C in them

I THINK, not sure...

Phthon
08-21-11, 09:34 AM
a cat will blink when hit with a hammer

rr9149
08-22-11, 03:46 PM
a cat will blink when hit with a hammer

Oh my how did they figure this one out? Did they go around hitting cats with hammers?

sissy8
08-22-11, 03:47 PM
fact a goose ia a goose:rolleyes:

kooky panda
08-22-11, 04:03 PM
Sausages are made of pork and chicken, and the 'skin' is made of intestines.

pinkster73
08-22-11, 04:46 PM

Wieners are made out of old phone books. (Ok I made that one up :))

rr9149
08-22-11, 06:44 PM

Oh my. =S Fact: the foamy bubbles in a hot tub are dead skin cells.

kooky panda
08-22-11, 06:47 PM
crocodiles have two eyelids

rr9149
08-22-11, 07:12 PM
You never "make up" a face in your dreams.

bawpotter
08-23-11, 01:23 PM
You can't sneeze with your eyes open.

sissy8
08-23-11, 02:18 PM
Fact: Camels were first manufactured in America in 1913. They were the first cigarettes to be machine pre-rolled and made R J Reynolds much dinero. The name was chosen because the paper used was Turkish - presumably on the supposition that Turkey was full of camels.

did you know that in the pic of the camel you can see manneke pis;) a statue that stands in Brussels:rolleyes:

rr9149
08-26-11, 02:47 PM
Celery and cold water has negative calories.

pinkster73
08-26-11, 02:50 PM
Celery and cold water has negative calories.

Water has no calories

pinkster73
08-26-11, 02:51 PM
Oh nevermind, I get it ha ha. Pretend I didn't say anything :O

elliejean
08-26-11, 03:00 PM
Wow 69 kids...how would you come up with that many names?

rr9149
08-26-11, 10:16 PM
Oh nevermind, I get it ha ha. Pretend I didn't say anything :O

Sorry i shouldve explained. You burn more calories eating celery than it has and water has no calories and you burn 10 or so calories drinking a cold glass of water heating it up.

pinkster73
08-26-11, 10:49 PM
Sorry i shouldve explained. You burn more calories eating celery than it has and water has no calories and you burn 10 or so calories drinking a cold glass of water heating it up.

Yes I knew that I was having a duh moment. Asparagus is also a negative calorie food

pinkster73
08-26-11, 10:55 PM
The can opener was invented 48 years after the can was invented

sourlicorice2
08-27-11, 10:23 AM
{{GM Edit}}

hectorloch
08-27-11, 11:58 AM
There are mermaids on players' farms.

rr9149
08-27-11, 01:27 PM
[gm edit -- nope, it was me]

And apes. But im not too sure if that's forum appropriate so im sure trenea is gonna edit it out.

rr9149
08-27-11, 01:28 PM
There are mermaids on players' farms.

Mermaids? Do you have a picture? :)

hectorloch
08-27-11, 02:21 PM
Mermaids? Do you have a picture? :)

http://forums.teamlava.com/showthread.php?16846-Farm-weekly-Update-8-26/page8

sourlicorice2
08-28-11, 07:54 AM
And apes. But im not too sure if that's forum appropriate so im sure trenea is gonna edit it out.

Oops I hope it's ok. If not sorry won't do it again.

rr9149
08-29-11, 03:40 PM
Oops I hope it's ok. If not sorry won't do it again.

That's ok. :) i put that human contraceptive pills work on gorillas and she edited it out.

rr9149
09-02-11, 12:42 PM
Yep it got edited out but this time by group magma. Hm. Fact: i can't have a baby. :(

xcellent
09-03-11, 10:23 PM
Yep it got edited out but this time by group magma. Hm. Fact: i can't have a baby. :(

Awwww... Sorry to read that... :-(

Fact: Mr. Perfect/Ms. Perfect comes only 1 in a million...... And usually taken! :-p
Fact: There is no such thing as perfect...but God gave us the brain to make something perfect! :-)
Fact: There is no permanent thing in this world except change..... ;-)

pinkster73
09-03-11, 10:30 PM

Fact: neither can I

Hawaiianmomma
09-05-11, 10:08 PM
Fact jellyfish sleep on their sides

casadolce
09-05-11, 10:20 PM
Fact: The Chinese invented the compass.

angelkayann
09-06-11, 03:47 AM
So how long would you say to leave it on ? And do you just squeeze the juice on it and then rinse off or do you put the fruit on and rinse off ?
Great tip thanks

mrstoney
09-10-11, 02:49 PM
Fact- the fortune cookie was invented in San Francisco.

mrstoney
09-10-11, 03:26 PM
Fact- you have virtually no taste in the center of your tongue
Fact- More than 10 people are ****ed by vending machines every year
Fact- hippo milk is pink
Fact- women have a better sense of smell than men
Fact- ice cream is Chinese food
Fact- brain scans show that when viewing a photo of a beloved, experience activation of the caudate.( the part of the brain involving cravings)

Phthon
09-10-11, 03:26 PM
9 out of 10 doctors agree...1 out of 10 doctors is an idiot.

Hawaiianmomma
09-10-11, 03:29 PM
fact: Pink Dolphins live in the Amazon

mrstoney
09-10-11, 03:44 PM
Fact- cherophobia is a fear of fun
Fact- if the enitire population of china were to walk past you in a straight line the line would never end due to the rate of reproduction
Fact- a donkey will sink in quicksand but a mule won't

casadolce
09-19-11, 10:37 PM
Fact: Some pigs are afraid of mud (Source: National Geographic)

joyirene
09-19-11, 10:51 PM
1 out of 20 people have an extra rib.
The name Wendy was made up for the book Peter Pan.
Humans are born with 300 bones in their body, however when a person reaches adulthood they only have 206 bones. This occurs because many of them join together to make a single bone.

pinkster73
09-19-11, 11:05 PM
1 out of 20 people have an extra rib.
The name Wendy was made up for the book Peter Pan.
Humans are born with 300 bones in their body, however when a person reaches adulthood they only have 206 bones. This occurs because many of them join together to make a single bone.

Fact: I was born missing one rib. Apparently one of those 1 In 20 people has it!

ariesblu
09-19-11, 11:17 PM
A Crocodiles tongue is attached to the roof of its mouth. A group of larks is called an exaltation.

A group of owls is called a parliament.
A Penny whistle has six finger holes.

A sizable oak tree, during the typical growing season, gives off 28,000 gallons of moisture.
A snail can have about 25,000 teeth
A group of toads is called a knot.
About 3,500 gallons if water is needed to produce one pound of beef.

mushroom79
09-20-11, 12:05 AM
here is one about mushroom from mushroom79

Ancient Egyptians considered mushrooms to be food for the royals.