PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings: What do you know?

bawpotter
08-08-11, 07:46 PM
I was thinking of starting a game about LOTR, but first I need to know who knows what.

greygull
08-08-11, 08:17 PM
I personally think you should have separated the books and movies. I've seen the movies, but I just could not get into the book. Which is saying a lot for me, 95% of the time I can get through a book, even if I'm not caring for it.

bawpotter
08-08-11, 08:20 PM
Well, unlike Harry Potter, the movies don't leave out that much stuff. In TFOTR, they leave out Tom Bombadil and a bit near the beginning. In TTT, they leave out almost nothing. In TROTK, they leave out the end with "Sharky" in the shire.

GroupMagma
08-08-11, 08:28 PM
Ugh, but TT also adds stuff that's infuriating. It makes Faramir an anti-villain. It adds a completely unnecessary "omg strider is dead" in a misguided attempt to pull the audience (when everyone knows he'll be alive in Return of the King). And it didn't even have Gandalf + army of angry trees in Helm's Deep. The only thing it improved on the books was ending it at the natural point.

I mean... Forums. Must moderate...

driftboutique
08-08-11, 08:43 PM
I broke the first movie down into episodes so I could watch it, but after three times falling asleep at the same point in the second movie I called it quits :( I could never get into the books either. And I don't understand why people get romantic feelings about hobbits. And since I'm confessing, I don't like Star Wars either.

I'm gonna get my nerd card revoked now.

bawpotter
08-08-11, 08:44 PM
That is true. I forgot about Gandalf and the trees at Helms Deep. Truth be told, a few thousand Rohirm isn't so bad either...:)

crystalrayn3
08-09-11, 09:14 AM
I've been a LOTR junkie since I first read The Hobbit in 2nd grade. Yes, the books are deep & require a large amount of dedication to get through, but it's worth it once you reach the finish line. The world within LOTR is vast & I find it a welcome respite from reality's rude intrusions into life, i. e. 2 teen boys bent on making their mom looney

bawpotter
08-09-11, 11:30 AM
Well, you got me beat. I read it in 4th Grade.