PDA

View Full Version : Yummy Real Recipes

greygull
08-01-11, 02:00 PM
I know there were recipe contests, but I think they've all been locked. How about we all share some of our favorites?

greygull
08-01-11, 02:05 PM
My most requested food - meatloaf. Yes, I know, most people think ugh, but trust me on this.
This is the basic recipe, you can expand. Go to your local grocery store, in the soup ailse there should be Liptons Onion Soup Mix. On the back is a recipe for meatloaf. Don't add the water, and use a 3rd egg. I promise you won't be disappointed!

Easiest dessert ever - Strawberry Banana Pie
I use 1 can of Comstock Strawberry pie filling one to two bananas, and a reduced fat Graham cracker pie crust. Cut bananas into bite size pieces, mix with pie filling, pour into crust. Done! Whipped cream on individual servings, only for those that want it.

sterlingempire
08-01-11, 02:07 PM
Ocean Fruit Smoothie

1/2 cup coconut milk
1 mango - peeled
1 pear - quartered, seeded
1 tsp sugar
1 bannana - peeled, cut in half
1 cup ice

Place ingredients into blender. Blend until ready :D

kooky panda
08-01-11, 02:11 PM
WHIPPED CREAM CAKE

2 Sticks oleo(or butter)
2 Cups Sugar
6 eggs (separate whites and yokes and let stand to reach room temp)
3 cups flour
1/2 pint whipping cream(do not whip)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar

1. cake batter: cream butter and sugar (real well )
2. add egg yolks one at a time to cake batter
3. mix together flour, whipping cream and vanilla in a separate bowl.
4. add this flour mixture slowly to to cake batter. mix well
5. beat egg whites in a bowl until stiff, then add 1 cup sugar slowly to egg whites.
6. fold egg whites/sugar mixture into cake batter.

Grease angel food pan- I spray with Pam then coat with flour
Pour complete cake batter into pan.
Cook 1 1/2 at 325

When cooked, pull out tube part of pan and set on wire rack until cool.
When cooled, remove from pan. ( note: if hard to remove, use knife around sides to loosen )

This cake can be frozen and kept for a long time .

Wrap in saran wrap then heavy alumnimum foil.

Before serving- take of freezer the night before.
you can then frost if you would like with any kind of frosting or glaze.

kooky panda
08-01-11, 02:12 PM
Best Punch!(for showers and parties!!!) Sugar Time!!!

serves 24

two 6oz cans orange juice concentrate
one 6 oz can frozen lemonade concentrate
one cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup cherry juice
two quarts gingerale
chilled ice

Mix fruit juices- let stand 12 or more hours in frig
add cold gingerale to juices just before serving.

serve over crushed ice, or freeze 1/2 of gingerale in ice cube trays.

sissy8
08-01-11, 02:39 PM
does anyone knows peperkoek????? i don t know the english word for it, but i know a delicious recepee with it:o

greygull
08-01-11, 02:46 PM
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peperkoek&ei=bh43TtOACfTXiALl4LnrDg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCoQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpeperkoek%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari %26tbo%3Dd%26prmd%3Divnse

I googled it, and used their translated version. Hope this is what you meant!

swiep07
08-01-11, 02:47 PM
Gingerbread toch?

driftboutique
08-01-11, 03:00 PM
My most requested food - meatloaf. Yes, I know, most people think ugh, but trust me on this.
This is the basic recipe, you can expand. Go to your local grocery store, in the soup ailse there should be Liptons Onion Soup Mix. On the back is a recipe for meatloaf. Don't add the water, and use a 3rd egg. I promise you won't be disappointed!

We make the Lipton soup meatloaf too! I never liked meatloaf before this but it's really good. We also lay bacon across the top of it and peel it off when the meatloaf is cooked. All the bacon fat soaks into the loaf... mmmm :)

One time for a dinner party we made individual-size meatloafs stuffed with cheddar chive mashed potatoes, using a pan for making homemade twinkies. Most successful dinner party ever.

driftboutique
08-01-11, 03:03 PM
Also, this is my specialty. (http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/chicken-saltimbocca.html?cm_src=RECIPESEARCH) I use basil instead of sage. It is amazing.

greygull
08-01-11, 03:04 PM
Ohhhh, that sounds yummy drift! I don't use the mix anymore, I looked up the ingredients one time because I was out of the mix, but I had everything. So now it's dashes of this, pinches of that, and even better! I love my spice shelf, and FYI to all - parsley is better then oj for Vitamun C! Almost tasteless, I add it to almost everything! (not desserts though)

sterlingempire
08-01-11, 03:04 PM
We make the Lipton soup meatloaf too! I never liked meatloaf before this but it's really good. We also lay bacon across the top of it and peel it off when the meatloaf is cooked. All the bacon fat soaks into the loaf... mmmm :)

One time for a dinner party we made individual-size meatloafs stuffed with cheddar chive mashed potatoes, using a pan for making homemade twinkies. Most successful dinner party ever.

Sounds good.

Superyalda
08-01-11, 03:23 PM
OMG! Reality is setting in! Greygull, this is awesome!

Just to get my foot on the door heres a great summer dessert ...

Strawberries and cream

Simple, easy and delicious

1 box of strawberries
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1 pint of whipping cream
1 t good vanilla extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar
Optional: 1/4 cup of gran marnier or other fruit liquor or dark chocolate shavings (use a peeler)

Slice the strawberries and combine with sugar. Gently mix to coat the strawberries with the sugar. Put aside (this can be done the night before. The longer the strawberries sit, the more strawberry syrup you'll have. If you want it "fresher" then do the strawberries about 30 minutes before serving.)

Beat the whipping cream until almost ready. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar. Continue to whip until stiff.

You can keep this in the fridge for a couple of hours until ready to serve.

In glasses, layer the strawberries (with the syrup) and whipped cream. Drizzle some of the liquor over the top or sprinkle some chocolate shavings on it.

sterlingempire
08-01-11, 03:25 PM
OMG! Reality is setting in! Greygull, this is awesome!

Just to get my foot on the door heres a great summer dessert ...

Strawberries and cream

Simple, easy and delicious

1 box of strawberries
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1 pint of whipping cream
1 t good vanilla extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar
Optional: 1/4 cup of gran marnier or other fruit liquor or dark chocolate shavings (use a peeler)

Slice the strawberries and combine with sugar. Gently mix to coat the strawberries with the sugar. Put aside (this can be done the night before. The longer the strawberries sit, the more strawberry syrup you'll have. If you want it "fresher" then do the strawberries about 30 minutes before serving.)

Beat the whipping cream until almost ready. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar. Continue to whip until stiff.

You can keep this in the fridge for a couple of hours until ready to serve.

In glasses, layer the strawberries (with the syrup) and whipped cream. Drizzle some of the liquor over the top or sprinkle some chocolate shavings on it.

Oooohh....... I have tried something similar. Soo good!

Superyalda
08-01-11, 03:28 PM
You can adjust the sugar in both the strawberries and the whipped cream according to taste

sissy8
08-01-11, 03:37 PM
oke tomorrow comes my recepeee:rolleyes: but not with cups and spoons just enjoy yourself kee:o

sterlingempire
08-01-11, 03:41 PM
You can adjust the sugar in both the strawberries and the whipped cream according to taste

Try it with multiple fruits. Healthy! :D

greygull
08-01-11, 03:43 PM
Ok, pulling out the book now...

Taco Salad
1 lb Hamburger meat
1/2 head of Lettuce (for iceberg, I've switched to Butter Lettuce, and I use a whole one)
Tomatoes - I use a small package of cherry quartered
1 can Kidney Beans
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese (or more, if wanted)

Sauce:
1 cup Mayo mixed with 1/4 cup Milk (do this before mixing the rest of the sauce together)
1/4 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup Taco Sauce

Cook and drain hamburger meat and kidney beans separately. Mix sauce in a bowl, set aside. After mixing all other ingredients, pour sauce and mix well.
Nacho Cheese Doritos go very well, either crumbled into it, or used as a scoop.
Side note, if there will be leftovers, don't mix in the lettuce. For reheating, I use a microwave just to heat it, and the lettuce doesn't nuke well.

Cheesy Chichen Mix (Actually named High Fiber Chicken Casserole, but it tends to scare people, so we changed it)

3 Chicken Breasts, cubed and cooked (I boil until done)
2 Celery stalks chopped
1 small onion chopped (I use pearl onions instead)
1 1/2 tsp Olive Oil
1 16oz can Kidney Beans (rinsed and drained)
1 tbsp Chili Powder
2 tsp Cumin
1 14 1/2oz can Diced Tomatoes (do not drain)
1 10 3/4oz can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese

Preheat oven to 350

In a large s****et, saut? celery and onion in olive oil. Stir in chicken, kidney beans, chili powder, and cumin, heat through. In a 2 1/2 quart baking dish, spray with cooking spray, place everything from s****et. Mix tomatoes and soup in a bowl, pour over dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle cheese, bake another 5 minutes.

silver_dew
08-02-11, 12:36 AM
My fav recipe ; I have a sweet tooth ;)

Microwave chocolate cake ( just takes 2.5 mins )

Ingredients;
4 cups all purpose flour
4 cups sugar
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 egg
3 Tbsp oil
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
Handful of choco chips
1/2 tsp baking powder

Combine these ingredients and mix it really really well . Microwave on high foe 2min 30 sec and u have a delicious chocolate cake :)

sissy8
08-02-11, 03:22 AM
oke, you take chicken , put it in vinegar for 24 hours together with raw onion
aftyer a day you take it out and bake it softly together with the onions gingerbread and maple syrup, the last 2 will melt and then you have a delicious dish
i think you can make the same dish with a907:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Superyalda
08-04-11, 03:46 AM
Has anyone here heard of SALT CHICKEN?

I learned this from my Moroccan mother-in-law (may she rest in peace). I make this when I need a hot meal with practically no fuss. It always comes our delicious, with crispy skin and juicy meat; even the breast and everyone loves it. Great cold as leftovers, too.

1 whole chicken
2 cups of salt, preferably rock or kosher

You'll need a roasting tray with a grilling rack which holds the chicken about 1/2 an inch off the tray.

Pour the salt into the roasting tray, mostly around the sides
Put the chicken in the middle if the tray. Don't let it touch the salt
Roast at 325F (350 is also good) for 45 minutes or until done.

I know it sounds crazy, but you won't believe how yummy it is until you try it.

I've tried this with adding spices, lemon, garlic, etc inside the chicken which is ok but the original recipe is always the best.

Another cool trick is to put quartered potatoes and onions on the rack too. They also come out yummy.

driftboutique
08-04-11, 07:49 AM
Has anyone here heard of SALT CHICKEN?

I learned this from my Moroccan mother-in-law (may she rest in peace). I make this when I need a hot meal with practically no fuss. It always comes our delicious, with crispy skin and juicy meat; even the breast and everyone loves it. Great cold as leftovers, too.

1 whole chicken
2 cups of salt, preferably rock or kosher

You'll need a roasting tray with a grilling rack which holds the chicken about 1/2 an inch off the tray.

Pour the salt into the roasting tray, mostly around the sides
Put the chicken in the middle if the tray. Don't let it touch the salt
Roast at 325F (350 is also good) for 45 minutes or until done.

I know it sounds crazy, but you won't believe how yummy it is until you try it.

I've tried this with adding spices, lemon, garlic, etc inside the chicken which is ok but the original recipe is always the best.

Another cool trick is to put quartered potatoes and onions on the rack too. They also come out yummy.

Ooh, I've heard of this dish but with a whole roasted fish. It sounds really good. We have a salt plate which I would imagine gives a similar flavor. It's excellent.

Superyalda
08-04-11, 08:37 AM
oke, you take chicken , put it in vinegar for 24 hours together with raw onion
aftyer a day you take it out and bake it softly together with the onions gingerbread and maple syrup, the last 2 will melt and then you have a delicious dish
i think you can make the same dish with a907:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This sounds like something I'd like to try ... I got the marinating part. What do I do with the gingerbread and maple syrup?

Superyalda
08-04-11, 08:39 AM
I'm originally from the States, but don't live there now so recipes with prepared powdered and canned stuff isn't available to me :(

I'd love to make a meatloaf! But without the soup mix. Help?

Superyalda
08-04-11, 08:46 AM
On the up side, I've learned to be quite resourceful! If you like making things from scratch, let me know.

Examples of stuff I've learned to make:
Pumpkin pie from real pumpkins ( I was horrified to find out that the world does not have canned pumpkin!)
Olives from fresh picked olives (because they grow everywhere here)
Roasted pecans from fresh picked pecans (ditto)
Homemade ricotta cheese! I HAD to make lasagna!

I'm still looking for a recipe to make my own sweet Italian sausage! And really good hot dogs.

bawpotter
08-04-11, 08:58 AM
Hallah French Toast with Crushed Cornflakes

Ingredients:

1 Hallah or loaf of Texas Style Bread
7 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
Pinch of salt
Tablespoon of sugar
Cinamon to taste
2 cups of cornflakes (You may need more, but it all depends.)

Directions:

1. Heat up griddle and grease with butter
2. Slice Bread into 1" thick pieces.
3. Crush Cornflakes and put into a bowl
4. Crack 7 eggs into a seperate bowl and whisk for about 2 minutes.
5. Add milk, sugar, salt, and cinamon.
6. Mix until mixture turns brown.
7. Dip bread in egg, then cornflakes. Put bread on griddle.
8. Cook for about 7 minutes on each side.
9. Serve with powdered sugar and cinamon.

This is one of my favorite things to do for a weekend breakfast!

greygull
08-04-11, 09:00 AM
Ok, the mix of ingredients for meatloaf:
Garlic granules, onion powder, minced onions (fresh or freeze dried), parsley, chives, worcestershire sauce, Mrs. Dash, ground pepper. I don't have measurements though, I've become a "sprinkle of this, dash of that" cooker. I think I copied this right, otherwise I'll try again. http://www.makinglifebetter.com/Resources/Images/RS-ONION-Dip54-16655.jpg these are the ingredients. Below is a link to the recipe.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1726,157162-239201,00.html

silver_dew
08-04-11, 09:54 AM
Also, this is my specialty. (http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/chicken-saltimbocca.html?cm_src=RECIPESEARCH) I use basil instead of sage. It is amazing.

I just love basil ESP in pasta. It's so delicious!

Superyalda
08-04-11, 10:05 AM

Ingredients:

7 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
Pinch of salt
Tablespoon of sugar
Cinamon to taste

Directions:

I can't wait to make this!

Superyalda
08-04-11, 10:14 AM
One of my favorites. Classic, clean and natural chicken soup!

Might want to wait for winter, but sometimes a light soup like this is a nice change.

I tried opening an account in AllRecipes, but they have some weird regulations so I gave up on it. Anyway, I still have two recipes on their site. Here's a link to my chicken soup which has repave reviews whenever I make it, I think because it's so simple and delicious.

http://allrecipes.com/personalrecipe/62671085/classic-chicken-soup/detail.aspx

Superyalda
08-04-11, 10:39 AM
I just love basil ESP in pasta. It's so delicious!

This is definitely something I'm going to try!

And yes, with the basil.

driftboutique
08-04-11, 11:29 AM
On the up side, I've learned to be quite resourceful! If you like making things from scratch, let me know.

Examples of stuff I've learned to make:
Pumpkin pie from real pumpkins ( I was horrified to find out that the world does not have canned pumpkin!)
Olives from fresh picked olives (because they grow everywhere here)
Roasted pecans from fresh picked pecans (ditto)
Homemade ricotta cheese! I HAD to make lasagna!

I'm still looking for a recipe to make my own sweet Italian sausage! And really good hot dogs.

!!!!

Dinner at Superyalda's tonight, everybody :D

bawpotter
08-04-11, 12:07 PM
Directions please!

Superyalda
08-04-11, 11:45 PM
!!!!

Dinner at Superyalda's tonight, everybody :D

LOL! Which one?

bawpotter
08-05-11, 05:13 AM
You can make it all!

Superyalda
08-05-11, 05:51 PM
Kinda disappointed I didn't win the last FB caption contest :( I stayed up late and all! It was fun though.

We did a BBQ today. I found some ginger jam in ikea! Amazing on pork chops! Just added a little crushed garlic, ocean salt and coarsely grated black pepper. Fantastic! Wanna try it on salmon next time.

On the side I made broccoli and cauliflower in a cheese sauce.

A bunch of broccoli, cut into pieces
A head of cauliflower, cut into pieces
1 onion, chopped medium fine
1/4 cup white flour
1/4 cup butter
Grated cheese, about 2 cups I guess. I used whatever I had in the fridge
Milk
Salt and pepper
Nutmeg

Put the broccoli, cauliflower and onions in a covered casserole dish with some salt. Cover and put in the oven at about 400F. While that's heating up ...

Melt the butter in a medium size saucepan and add the flour. Saut? a bit until the roux thickens and there are no lumps. Add about a cup of milk and the cheese.

Keep mixing as the cheese sauce cooks, it will thicken and become smooth and silky. Add milk as necessary to obtain a nice creamy but not too thin consistency. Add salt pepper and nutmeg to taste.

Now pour the cheese sauce over the veggies. Toss it well to mix the sauce around but gently so as not to make a mushy mess.

Cover and bake until it starts bubbling then take off the cover and bake until slightly golden on top.

Came out really good. Can't wait to try it with potatoes! Maybe potatoes and peas for color?

I think I'll add some turmeric next time since the cheeses I used were all white (not yellow) and cheese sauce aesthetically should be yellow in my mind. :)

silver_dew
08-05-11, 11:40 PM
Sounds yum ! Btw u mentioned IkeA , are u in Singapore ?

bawpotter
08-06-11, 05:15 AM
Ikea is in US...

Superyalda
08-06-11, 01:44 PM
Ikea is EVERYWHERE!

greygull
08-06-11, 01:59 PM
Ikea is EVERYWHERE!

It's a global conspiracy! Lol

silver_dew
08-06-11, 09:59 PM
Hehe. Lol :D ok ok people, my bad, IKEA is everywhere!!

gobblies
08-06-11, 10:00 PM
Hehe. Lol :D ok ok people, my bad, IKEA is everywhere!!

Hahahahaha

Superyalda
08-07-11, 11:34 AM
So everyone can go get some of their ginger preserves!

Superyalda
08-07-11, 11:36 AM
How ambitious are you guys, anyway? Does anyone know what mezze is? If you do and want recipes for lovely dishes, let me know and I'll post some.

Superyalda
08-10-11, 03:19 AM
WHIPPED CREAM CAKE

2 Sticks oleo(or butter)
2 Cups Sugar
6 eggs (separate whites and yokes and let stand to reach room temp)
3 cups flour
1/2 pint whipping cream(do not whip)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar

1. cake batter: cream butter and sugar (real well )
2. add egg yolks one at a time to cake batter
3. mix together flour, whipping cream and vanilla in a separate bowl.
4. add this flour mixture slowly to to cake batter. mix well
5. beat egg whites in a bowl until stiff, then add 1 cup sugar slowly to egg whites.
6. fold egg whites/sugar mixture into cake batter.

Grease angel food pan- I spray with Pam then coat with flour
Pour complete cake batter into pan.
Cook 1 1/2 at 325

When cooked, pull out tube part of pan and set on wire rack until cool.
When cooled, remove from pan. ( note: if hard to remove, use knife around sides to loosen )

This cake can be frozen and kept for a long time .

Wrap in saran wrap then heavy alumnimum foil.

Before serving- take of freezer the night before.
you can then frost if you would like with any kind of frosting or glaze.

Why is this called whipped cream cake? I'd like to try it but have no idea what it is

Superyalda
08-10-11, 03:26 AM

Ingredients:

7 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
Pinch of salt
Tablespoon of sugar
Cinamon to taste

Directions:

I can only imagine that it would be good on chicken cutlets too. Have you ever tried it?

Superyalda
08-10-11, 03:31 AM

Ingredients:

7 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
Pinch of salt
Tablespoon of sugar
Cinamon to taste

Directions:

I can only imagine that it would be good on chicken cutlets too. Have you ever tried it?

bawpotter
08-10-11, 05:13 AM
No, never tried that on chicken cutlets. I think I will though, thanks!

greygull
08-10-11, 10:13 AM
bawpotter has also started a cookbook just for recipes in RS. If you have any, please post here and at http://forums.teamlava.com/showthread.php?16113-Restaurant-Story-Cookbook!