PDA

View Full Version : Why Isn't there more diversity for avatars

sennyy
07-18-11, 04:20 PM
None of the avatars are black or even brown. Try to be a little more inclusive. People especially children need to see themselves represented.

clover56
08-10-11, 05:44 PM
Great suggestion!

blondhorse
08-10-11, 08:36 PM
i love the idea!! I would love to see more "diverse" crowd in my bakery! :-) Ability to modify how our avatar looks is a great idea.

PassionUnleashed
08-11-11, 02:16 AM
Yes please!! I find it totally unacceptable that the only avatar choices are white! Team lava, get with it already!

pipthecat
08-11-11, 02:18 AM
I agree completely!

LanokaHarbor
08-11-11, 06:12 PM
Let me put an end to this by posting a pic of my bakery story customers.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/Bodacious1966/0d0b91db.jpg

briguynv
08-11-11, 06:18 PM
Why would that pic 'put an end' to anything? I see white and dark "pink'ish" people, who to me look like badly tanned white people. I still don't see other races represented, like black/brown, etc.

Plus they were asking for avatars... which I took that to mean the person working the podium/registers... letting them choose that person as another skin color.

LanokaHarbor
08-11-11, 06:29 PM
Would you prefer if the faces were literally black? One of the posters said they wanted to see a more "diverse" crowd in the bakery. Everyone is represented. I looked. Asian, white, blondes, brunettes, redheads, black, women and men. The only thing missing are handicapped people.

As for the avatar behind the register, I don't have an answer to that and I apologize because I did not understand what that meant until now, and I thank you for clarifying it. However, to claim there are no blacks or diversity in the bakery crowd is incorrect, as my photo indicates.

Furthermore, you would not be alone in assessing that the avatar choices are limited. If there is going to be a request for avatars, your thread title should have included everyone, not just blacks. Why ask only about blacks? Why not Asian? Why not Italians? Why not someone in a wheelchair?

briguynv
08-11-11, 06:47 PM
Personally, it doesn't affect me either way... I could maybe see some of the pinkish colored people, with certain hairstyles and eyes, etc, be considered Asian... but I don't see anyone that appears to be Brown/Black, or African American, or whatever you want to call them.
As for the avatars... the original poster asked for brown/black... they shouldn't have to ask for everyone... I would guess others would add their request to it... if I asked for something to be updated/changed, I wouldn't sit and think "what are ALL the possible options I can ask for?"... I would ask for the one or two things I'd like to ask for, and then I would guess other people would add to my request with their choices as well.

LanokaHarbor
08-11-11, 07:00 PM
Well said. Thus, I'd like to see someone in a wheelchair.

briguynv
08-11-11, 07:34 PM
Well said. Thus, I'd like to see someone in a wheelchair.

haha, yah... I would too... I am disabled, so why not see "myself" represented! lol Although, then we'd have to make the whole place accessible, wider paths, etc... LOL

pinkster73
08-11-11, 08:03 PM
Ramps, only available for gems. Just kidding, my bad :)

myweedpatch
08-11-11, 08:10 PM
I have a couple friends that won't play just because the game avatar choices are white female or white male.

Maybe TL could give more options. Even older games have options for skin color, hair color, and I've seen ones that let you chose facial expressions.

And maybe, just maybe if they did that...they could add outfits your icon can wear for purchase or level up or mastering or something of the like????

talyon
08-11-11, 08:38 PM
Lol. I'm bald, so I feel discriminated against, why is there no BALD people shopping??? Scalp Gifted Baby.

LanokaHarbor
08-11-11, 10:25 PM
OMG, LOL, can you imagine...to get the wheelchair to navigate around the place, the paths would have to be TWICE as large, and we would need to space the tables more too! The podium would have to be lowered to accommodate.

And ramps for city cash!! LOL!

And there should be separate seating for bald people because the shine on their heads can make me go blind.....
I'm just sayin'......

And now that I think about it, there are no OLD people. Or men with beards.....

talyon
08-11-11, 11:20 PM
Lmao, good one. Um I'll wear a hat.

LanokaHarbor
08-11-11, 11:21 PM
There are no men with hats.

pinkster73
08-11-11, 11:35 PM
What about the gnomes? There's no gnomes shopping.

talyon
08-11-11, 11:39 PM
What about the gnomes? There's no gnomes shopping.

Ummm there Statues. Lol. No men at all shopping, and I know I get dragged into many women's shops by the GF.

pinkster73
08-11-11, 11:44 PM
Ummm there Statues. Lol. No men at all shopping, and I know I get dragged into many women's shops by the GF.

Don't even joke about that. Everyone knows gnomes are real. But they only move when no one is looking. And too bad about your getting dragged to the mall. My husband is very happy that I hate shopping. So fashion story needs chairs outside the changerooms for the purse holding husbands/boyfriends.

PassionUnleashed
08-12-11, 02:24 AM
appreciate the humor, but let's not forget the point of this post :) how can we get team lava to notice a request for diverse avatar choices?

gmlaster
08-12-11, 07:25 AM
Imagine the game if there were only black avatars and all the customers were black. That wouldn't seem weird to you? Wouldn't you wonder where all the white people were? Would that glaring omission put you off a little? Wouldn't you expect to be able to choose an avatar that at least somewhat looked like you?!! As to the picture posted, a tanned character with straight red hair doesn't look like a black person to me. Really how hard would it be to draw a couple of black characters?

What does TeamLava have against ethnic diversity?

Jbug2116
08-12-11, 07:55 AM
Imagine the game if there were only black avatars and all the customers were black. That wouldn't seem weird to you? Wouldn't you wonder where all the white people were? Would that glaring omission put you off a little? Wouldn't you expect to be able to choose an avatar that at least somewhat looked like you?!! As to the picture posted, a tanned character with straight red hair doesn't look like a black person to me. Really how hard would it be to draw a couple of black characters?

What does TeamLava have against ethnic diversity?

I totally agree with you...the only thing I don't get is how they have African American avatars on Fashion...

LanokaHarbor
08-12-11, 10:37 AM
There is clearly a dark skinned person as customers.

And to answer you, I am put off, everyday, worse than you, that I never, ever, see a person in a wheelchair in any of these games. But you don't see me making a stink about it. it's ridiculous.

It's a game. I like playing it.

PassionUnleashed
08-12-11, 11:08 AM
LanokaHarbor,

I'm glad that you are not bothered by the current choice of avatar, but the people who are bothered by it have the right to say so :) If you think this thread is riculous, then by all means feel free to ignore it.

xokay
08-12-11, 11:34 AM
I find this discussion kind of funny. It reminds me of middle school, when the science textbooks always had a child representing several races and had a kid in a wheelchair. Inclusivity is appreciated, but I have to agree with LanokaHarbor, if you don't fight to include every possible combination, and just the one that represents you, it isn't really fair either, is it?

PassionUnleashed
08-12-11, 11:59 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't find a discussion about lack of diversity funny at all. Everyone has a right to be represented and to voice their opinion. The purpose of this section of the forum is to leave feedback for TeamLava. Please allow people to do that without implying that their feedback is invalid.

xokay
08-12-11, 12:03 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't find a discussion about lack of diversity funny at all. Everyone has a right to be represented and to voice their opinion. The purpose of this section of the forum is to leave feedback for TeamLava. Please allow people to do that without implying that their feedback is invalid.

I didn't mean ha-ha funny and wasn't making fun of the suggestion. I don't understand why you're being defensive towards me when I'm in complete agreement that everyone should be represented. I simply said it isn't fair to push for one while not pushing for the others.

driftboutique
08-12-11, 12:09 PM

I tend to agree. The thing about disabilities is this: we aren't all in wheelchairs. There are a lot of ways to be disabled that aren't immediately apparent to a casual observer. Skin color doesn't work that way.

Maybe people who think this is a silly discussion don't really realize how many people of color play Team Lava games. Take a peek around the avatars in the Fashion community sometime and you'll see just how large a group is being swept under the rug.

I think fashion does a great job of representing diversity in avatars and there is nothing unreasonable about asking TL to offer the same consideration in their other games.

PassionUnleashed
08-12-11, 12:12 PM
I didn't mean ha-ha funny and wasn't making fun of the suggestion. I don't understand why you're being defensive towards me when I'm in complete agreement that everyone should be represented. I simply said it isn't fair to push for one while not pushing for the others.

I apologize if I sounded defensive. I'm just trying to point out that the person who started this thread had every right to. And I think that it's perfectly fair for an African American person to request that they be represented in a game. If others would like to see themselves represented as well, then it is their right to request that too.

xokay
08-12-11, 12:18 PM
I apologize if I sounded defensive. I'm just trying to point out that the person who started this thread had every right to. And I think that it's perfectly fair for an African American person to request that they be represented in a game. If others would like to see themselves represented as well, then it is their right to request that too.

I couldn't agree more.

LanokaHarbor
08-12-11, 12:59 PM
You know what, I am just going to put this out there, despite knowing that I am going to get slack for this. This thread is the most racist thing I have ever seen on this forum. It is demeaning. It is insulting.

The title of the thread is "Why are there no BLACK people?" This thread focused on why there aren't any BLACK people, why aren't there BLACK avatars, how come there aren't any BLACK customers. This wasn't a thread about adding different ethnicities to avatar selection. If it was, the thread should have taken this direction, and had the title respectfully requesting a greater selection of avatars.

I tried to bring the topoc around so that the subject could bring about a greater appreciation for all races and the handicapped.

Instead, I am reading from posters who apparently feel that one race is more entitled than another. That is absolutely unacceptable.

And saying that other races could start their own thread is just absurd.

There are two avatars. Both white. No one who created the game surely intended to leave out BLACK people, or Asians, or American Indian, or Hispanic, or Eskimo, or Jewish, or German, or Italian, or any other race OR handicapped, short, tall, fat, skinny, bald, or otherwise. No one else feels the need to complain about their race representation...not because they do not speak up, but because it is simply absurd and ridiculous to think one race is superior and more entitled than another.

LanokaHarbor
08-12-11, 01:05 PM
Well, someone came in and edited the title.....thank god. We can finally have a real discussion.

trenae
08-12-11, 01:06 PM
You know what, I am just going to put this out there, despite knowing that I am going to get slack for this. This thread is the most racist thing I have ever seen on this forum. It is demeaning. It is insulting.

The title of the thread is "Why are there no BLACK people?" This thread focused on why there aren't any BLACK people, why aren't there BLACK avatars, how come there aren't any BLACK customers. This wasn't a thread about adding different ethnicities to avatar selection. If it was, the thread should have taken this direction, and had the title respectfully requesting a greater selection of avatars.

I tried to bring the topoc around so that the subject could bring about a greater appreciation for all races and the handicapped.

Instead, I am reading from posters who apparently feel that one race is more entitled than another. That is absolutely unacceptable.

And saying that other races could start their own thread is just absurd.

There are two avatars. Both white. No one who created the game surely intended to leave out BLACK people, or Asians, or American Indian, or Hispanic, or Eskimo, or Jewish, or German, or Italian, or any other race OR handicapped, short, tall, fat, skinny, bald, or otherwise. No one else feels the need to complain about their race representation...not because they do not speak up, but because it is simply absurd and ridiculous to think one race is superior and more entitled than another.

I have changed the title of the thread - so it's not offensive to anyone - and allows for more conversation on the topic of diversity for avatars in the games.

Keep in mind every poster is free to post their feedback, which not all need to agree with, but it does need to be respected, which does include but not limited to feedback on diversity of avatars in the games. The thread is not racist, it's feedback which is allowed.

Lets please not turn this into a "black" vs "non black" thread.

LanokaHarbor
08-12-11, 01:12 PM
Thank you, trenae, I really really really appreciate the change, as I am sure others do as well. This being said, sure, I would like to see different choices for avatars. But until it happens, I am comfortable with the choices. The game is just fun to play, to me, who cares who is standing behind the cash register. Of course if they do add more choices, it will only make it better.

PassionUnleashed
08-12-11, 01:13 PM
Wow. I almost don't know how to respond anymore. I can't see for the life of me how the title of this thread was offensive or how this discussion was racist. A person was voicing their opinion about something specific. It would be nice if people stopped hijacking the discussion. Make you your own thread if you want but allow people to have a voice for god's sake.

driftboutique
08-12-11, 01:18 PM
Thank you, trenae, I really really really appreciate the change, as I am sure others do as well. This being said, sure, I would like to see different choices for avatars. But until it happens, I am comfortable with the choices. The game is just fun to play, to me, who cares who is standing behind the cash register. Of course if they do add more choices, it will only make it better.

Obviously, some people do care. I don't know if you are a PoC but if you're not, saying this is pretty dismissive.

driftboutique
08-12-11, 01:21 PM
BTW, "black" and "brown" cover a lot of races and ethnicities. I don't see how it's in any way implying some kind of superiority. The OP doesn't even name a race. (Black's not a race. Neither is German or Hispanic, for the record.)

trenae
08-12-11, 01:21 PM
Wow. I almost don't know how to respond anymore. I can't see for the life of me how the title of this thread was offensive or how this discussion was racist. A person was voicing their opinion about something specific. It would be nice if people stopped hijacking the discussion. Make you your own thread if you want but allow people to have a voice for god's sake.

The title change is to allow for a more open discussion on a general topic of having more diversity for avatars in the games - this allows for more to participate in the conversation without it singling out one person/nationality/race - and will help more in the long run if more of the community is able to contribute to a topic. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM.

LanokaHarbor
08-12-11, 01:33 PM
So I am dismissive if I am not a person of color.

PassionUnleashed
08-12-11, 01:35 PM
The title change is to allow for a more open discussion on a general topic of having more diversity for avatars in the games - this allows for more to participate in the conversation without it singling out one person/nationality/race - and will help more in the long run if more of the community is able to contribute to a topic. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM.

My concern is that you reinforced the idea that the thread title "why are there no black people" was offensive.

LanokaHarbor
08-12-11, 01:37 PM
Ok, enough. I agree with trenae. I have said my piece, spoke out, and effectuated change that benefited the entire forum community. Yes more avatar selection is welcomed. Until then, I am ok with the game. My race is not represented and I am ok with that, too.

ToastyRock
08-12-11, 01:55 PM
My thoughts from this thread:

More diversity in avatars is a very good and welcome request. In fact, it's such a good request that that's why I'm leaving this thread open.

This topic does tend to create intense and passionate conversation. The topic title change was wise, even though I think the original got the point across. To answer Passion's point specifically, while "Why are there no black people" isn't offensive per s?, changing the title helps make the conversation as a whole more productive, rather than focusing on the title itself.

One thing I'd like to point out is that the goal would be increased diversity in general, and that this isn't a zero-sum game. Adding one avatar doesn't prevent adding another :) there are limited resources, of course, and it can be tough to incorporate everyone. But when adding more diverse options, having new people write in saying "what about ____" is a very good thing. Hopefully that number gets smaller and smaller as time goes on.

PassionUnleashed
08-12-11, 01:56 PM
Yes LanokaHarbor, I think we all heard you loud and clear. You're happy with the game as is. Good for you. Now that we've eatablished how content LanokaHarbor is, I'd like to hear from the OP again or from other players who have something to say on the matter.

PassionUnleashed
08-12-11, 02:01 PM

More diversity in avatars is a very good and welcome request. In fact, it's such a good request that that's why I'm leaving this thread open.

This topic does tend to create intense and passionate conversation. The topic title change was wise, even though I think the original got the point across. To answer Passion's point specifically, while "Why are there no black people" isn't offensive per s?, changing the title helps make the conversation as a whole more productive, rather than focusing on the title itself.

One thing I'd like to point out is that the goal would be increased diversity in general, and that this isn't a zero-sum game. Adding one avatar doesn't prevent adding another :) there are limited resources, of course, and it can be tough to incorporate everyone. But when adding more diverse options, having new people write in saying "what about ____" is a very good thing. Hopefully that number gets smaller and smaller as time goes on.

Thank you.

driftboutique
08-12-11, 02:18 PM
So I am dismissive if I am not a person of color.

Yes, I think that a white person saying they are satisfied with the level of diversity represented would be dismissive. Obviously if you are a PoC it changes the context of your comment.

LanokaHarbor
08-12-11, 02:38 PM
Black single mother veteran with a handicap?

I don't think any voice should carry more or less weight if from a different race. We are all created equal, aren't we? And I am satisfied. Is that really so hard to believe? Obviously there are those that are not. But that doesn't mean we ALL feel that way.

driftboutique
08-12-11, 02:44 PM
Black single mother veteran with a handicap?

I don't think any voice should carry more or less weight if from a different race. We are all created equal, aren't we? And I am satisfied. Is that really so hard to believe? Obviously there are those that are not. But that doesn't mean we ALL feel that way.

I think that a person of a given race is more qualified than someone not of that race to speak out on issues that affect them, yes. I think it's great that you're satisfied. But that doesn't cancel out the feelings of someone who is dissatisfied.

LanokaHarbor
08-12-11, 02:50 PM
And for the record, I am white and Italian, and I don't mind the representation that all Italians are in the mafia.

driftboutique
08-12-11, 02:51 PM
And for the record, I am white and Italian, and I don't mind the representation that all Italians are in the mafia.

If you are white, your race is represented.

LanokaHarbor
08-12-11, 02:51 PM
Ok drift, I concede, you are right and I am wrong. Let's move on.

PassionUnleashed
08-12-11, 03:22 PM

So if it's true like others have said that other TeamLava games have some avatar diversity, then it shouldn't be too hard to add some to Bakery Story, right?

ariesblu
08-12-11, 11:25 PM
I think it would be fabulous if there were were diversity in tl games. I don't see it as unnecessary or asking for too much. And reading through the pages, I personally thought it was counterproductive for people to disseminate the idea or concern of the original poster, while advocating overall inclusivity. I also do not think it is fair to compare racial/ethnic diversity with that of inclusivity of those with disabilities.

And to xokay, I thought it was a tad bit unfair to shoulder every new idea on the original poster. His concern was honest and realistic. To further this with an example, for the past two weeks, there has been a huge showing for the return of gnomes in farmstory for the short period that the 4th step mastery was switched out for a gem, yet I didn't read anyone saying to those who championed the return of gnomes to include the river mastery from city story in their efforts. I think the op's post is relatively the same in nature.

ariesblu
08-12-11, 11:30 PM

I tend to agree. The thing about disabilities is this: we aren't all in wheelchairs. There are a lot of ways to be disabled that aren't immediately apparent to a casual observer. Skin color doesn't work that way.

Maybe people who think this is a silly discussion don't really realize how many people of color play Team Lava games. Take a peek around the avatars in the Fashion community sometime and you'll see just how large a group is being swept under the rug.

I think fashion does a great job of representing diversity in avatars and there is nothing unreasonable about asking TL to offer the same consideration in their other games.
Wholeheartedly agree with both statements.

Hawaiianmomma
08-13-11, 12:07 AM

 Beautiful ToastyMe and my other 808'z would like to see Hawaiians Represented As I Do. My Polynesian Cousinshave been waiting too. But we all give Propz to little braddahin the red Aloha shirt(only us get that petroglyph for turtle)cruising around zooit the closest we gotlol

Hawaiianmomma
08-13-11, 12:21 AM
Green Farm has a wonderful example of complete diversityit would be nice if I could have dreads and a darker skin tone here too at the TL series. Hoping this gets put up front along with stabilizing the games better and providing the block button, Sure would be a Peaceful Christmas

PassionUnleashed
08-14-11, 05:59 PM
bump. ToastyRock, please respond to my question. thanks :)

ariesblu
08-15-11, 11:34 PM
Hopefully diversity will be included in more tl games soon.

VidaGrey
08-17-11, 07:04 AM
I hope so.
I have to say that only having the option to play as a light skinned character to be really, really weird and kind of disturbing. What year is this? It's not 1950! The character is supposed to be you, and even though we are all more than our skin color, it's still very odd that we are all expected to, well, look white...I mean EVERYONE is white. There are some vague looking tan people thrown in there but they honestly just look like they've been rolling in Mystic Tan.

Do people really not think this is an issue? I guess if you are the "default race" it may not bother you that much...but for the rest of us... :-/ I thought Fashion Story was very good about this. Honestly, it was the first one I played. When I downloaded the others I was pretty shocked to see that you really didn't have a choice in customizing your character. It's pretty boring when everyone looks the same!

PassionUnleashed
08-17-11, 10:58 PM
well said, Vida Grey :) I'm hoping for a response soon! If Fashion Story is good about it then Team Lava should be able to add more avatar choices to Bakery Story.

GroupMagma
08-17-11, 11:07 PM
well said, Vida Grey :) I'm hoping for a response soon! If Fashion Story is good about it then Team Lava should be able to add more avatar choices to Bakery Story.

Not necessarily; Bakery might not have the ability to support more than two avatar choices, since it was created long before Fashion Story. I'll definitely pass this onto our dev team for further discussion, though.

Hawaiianmomma
08-18-11, 01:00 AM
Thank You Very Much

PassionUnleashed
08-18-11, 01:49 AM
Thank you for passing this on to the development team. If there are only two choices though, I don't see why they both have to be white. White skin is in the minority throughout the world after all :)