PDA

View Full Version : Holiday destinations 2011

Rachael98
07-13-11, 03:12 PM
Time for another Rachael98 off-topic poll:p! Yes, I can already hear...cheers?

Well, it's summertime (although I must say that the British weather disagrees;)) and I want to know where you're going on holiday!
Please also post what you'll do there and how long you're staying for (or any other details you wish to share: who you're going with etc.) below!

Happy holidays:D!

Rachael98
07-13-11, 03:16 PM
Just about everywhere in the UK...

Phthon
07-13-11, 03:17 PM
staying home...migrating upstairs then downstairs then upstairs then downstairs then...get the picture?

redbites
07-13-11, 03:17 PM
I'm going to canada!

Rachael98
07-13-11, 03:18 PM
staying home...migrating upstairs then downstairs then upstairs then downstairs then...get the picture?

Then emigrating to the garden:p?

Phthon
07-13-11, 03:21 PM
Then emigrating to the garden:p?

nah...there are BIG, nasty, hairy spiders out there. None in the house cause the cat eats 'em.

Rachael98
07-13-11, 03:23 PM
nah...there are BIG, nasty, hairy spiders out there. None in the house cause the cat eats 'em.

[No comment]:p

driftboutique
07-13-11, 03:25 PM

Clearly my brain is still a little bit fuzzy because I initially read this as "no one in the house but the cat eats them." and I thought, well, that makes sense. Which it does, sort of.

greygull
07-13-11, 03:27 PM
Live in California, know hubby, kids and I will be going to Arizona next month, we do every summer. Family, friends, kids dentist. I know, long way to drive for a dentist, but with no dental insurance, we might as well have the best place! They really know how to treat kids there, even my 2 year old! And if it's ever needed again, there an Ear Nose Throat doc out there that's the BEST!

Might also go upstate Cali too, visit family up there. Wish we could visit family in Ohio too, but not happening this year. Hopeful for next year!

driftboutique
07-13-11, 03:27 PM
I wish I had a glamorous vacation planned, but I don't even have a valid passport (for shame.) Looks like I'll be going to Florida twice and North Carolina once this summer, and then Buffalo/Rochester in October. None of it's booked though, so who knows.

Rachael98
07-13-11, 03:29 PM
I wish I had a glamorous vacation planned, but I don't even have a valid passport (for shame.) Looks like I'll be going to Florida twice and North Carolina once this summer, and then Buffalo/Rochester in October. None of it's booked though, so who knows.

I haven't had a valid passport for about 6 years...

Rachael98
07-13-11, 03:30 PM
Clearly my brain is still a little bit fuzzy because I initially read this as "no one in the house but the cat eats them." and I thought, well, that makes sense. Which it does, sort of.

Except that it probably wasn't quite meant to be interpreted that way.

Rachael98
07-13-11, 03:30 PM
Live in California, know hubby, kids and I will be going to Arizona next month, we do every summer. Family, friends, kids dentist. I know, long way to drive for a dentist, but with no dental insurance, we might as well have the best place! They really know how to treat kids there, even my 2 year old! And if it's ever needed again, there an Ear Nose Throat doc out there that's the BEST!

Might also go upstate Cali too, visit family up there. Wish we could visit family in Ohio too, but not happening this year. Hopeful for next year!

Wow, you're going to be busy!

Rachael98
07-13-11, 03:32 PM
50% of us in the USA at present...

driftboutique
07-13-11, 03:33 PM
I haven't had a valid passport for about 6 years...

Got you beat... Fifteen  I had a passport as a minor that automatically expired when I turned 18 (everyone stop doing math this minute!) I've been to Canada and Puerto Rico in the interim (before passports or passport cards were necessary) but that's still sad. I guess it's because I mostly travel to visit family and they're all in the US.

We were supposed to be going to the UK this fall -- I've never been -- but that trip is getting pushed to next year.

driftboutique
07-13-11, 03:35 PM
Except that it probably wasn't quite meant to be interpreted that way.

I think we can all agree that the important thing is that Phthon isn't personally eating the spiders :p

redbites
07-13-11, 03:38 PM
I think we can all agree that the important thing is that Phthon isn't personally eating the spiders :p
Hey I sometimes eat spiders! Only for survival out in the bush of course!

Phthon
07-13-11, 03:40 PM

You won't catch me out in the bush...too many frickin' spiders. And no cat.

redbites
07-13-11, 03:42 PM
There is snakes as well and they aren't so bad, do your cats eat snakes?

Rachael98
07-13-11, 03:42 PM

Isn't it lucky that this is an off-topic thread;)?

Rachael98
07-13-11, 03:44 PM
Got you beat... Fifteen  I had a passport as a minor that automatically expired when I turned 18 (everyone stop doing math this minute!) I've been to Canada and Puerto Rico in the interim (before passports or passport cards were necessary) but that's still sad. I guess it's because I mostly travel to visit family and they're all in the US.

We were supposed to be going to the UK this fall -- I've never been -- but that trip is getting pushed to next year.

Well, I hope you enjoy your stat when it comes. But get a passport. We have pretty strict border control as some people might have noticed.

Phthon
07-13-11, 03:44 PM
yeah, I forget that sometimes. :D

sterlingempire
07-13-11, 03:56 PM
3 day cruise to Nassau. ( Carnival )

driftboutique
07-13-11, 04:04 PM
Well, I hope you enjoy your stat when it comes. But get a passport. We have pretty strict border control as some people might have noticed.

Well, I wasnt planning to sneak in :p :D

I do need to figure out where we'll be going. London, obviously, but I'd like to go somewhere else as well, maybe even up to Scotland. I think I've talked my boyfriend out of Manchester. I've heard it's not much of a place to visit.

driftboutique
07-13-11, 04:05 PM

Eating spiders is one thing, but eating Australian spiders seems like a special feat. I've seen pictures. You can feed a whole family on one of those!

Rachael98
07-13-11, 04:09 PM
Well, I wasnt planning to sneak in :p :D

I do need to figure out where we'll be going. London, obviously, but I'd like to go somewhere else as well, maybe even up to Scotland. I think I've talked my boyfriend out of Manchester. I've heard it's not much of a place to visit.

If you were trying to sneak in, chances are that you wouldn't get very far. But any possible hiccup could get you lifted.

Moving swiftly on, London's good. I'd recommend 2 other places (more really, but these are fairly significant) that you haven't mentioned. Blackpool. The illuminations, the pleasure beach, quite somewhere to behold. And then the Cotswolds. They are beautiful. They're also quite near Stonehenge, Avebury, the Landsdowne Monument and the Wiltshire White horses. Which of those have you heard of before (the WHS, not Blackpool, The Cotwolds and Wiltshire:p)?

Rachael98
07-13-11, 04:10 PM
Eating spiders is one thing, but eating Australian spiders seems like a special feat. I've seen pictures. You can feed a whole family on one of those!

Ewww...I really want to become vegetarian now...and I'm not even afraid of spiders!

driftboutique
07-13-11, 04:14 PM
If you were trying to sneak in, chances are that you wouldn't get very far. But any possible hiccup could get you lifted.

Moving swiftly on, London's good. I'd recommend 2 other places (more really, but these are fairly significant) that you haven't mentioned. Blackpool. The illuminations, the pleasure beach, quite somewhere to behold. And then the Cotswolds. They are beautiful. They're also quite near Stonehenge, Avebury, the Landsdowne Monument and the Wiltshire White horses. Which of those have you heard of before (the WHS, not Blackpool, The Cotwolds and Wiltshire:p)?

I'm embarrassed to admit that the only one of those things I know is Stonehenge, but I am going to google them all because even the names are beautiful and I really want to go to all of them now, even without knowing anything about them! Thank you for the reccpommendations. I'm saving this post now for reference :)

Rachael98
07-13-11, 04:21 PM
I'm embarrassed to admit that the only one of those things I know is Stonehenge, but I am going to google them all because even the names are beautiful and I really want to go to all of them now, even without knowing anything about them! Thank you for the reccpommendations. I'm saving this post now for reference :)

I've kind of mucked up my e-safety now, haven't I. Avebury and Stonehenge are World Heritage Sites and WWH and LM well known, but Wiltshire's in the SW of England. And you know that I live in the SW. Ah well. No one planning to mount an attack on me, I hope?
The Cotswolds (http://www.the-cotswolds.org/) are really, really picturesque. They're an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. And you can see why. They also have a really nice Wildlife Park (http://www.the-cotswolds.org/) (ZS:p!)

Phthon
07-13-11, 04:23 PM
Avast ye scurvy scoundrel! Prepare fer imminent attack!

ARR!

greygull
07-13-11, 04:24 PM
Wow, you're going to be busy!

Not too busy. Arizona will be a long weekend, Friday leaving Monday coming back. If we can get upstate, that will probably also be a long weekend.

We were hoping to go to Seaworld San Diego, but have been hearing things like - no more tickets, they use your fingerprint? Anyone else know anything about this?

redbites
07-13-11, 04:28 PM
I've always wanted to go to Arizona and see the Grand Canyon

Rachael98
07-13-11, 04:31 PM
Avast ye scurvy scoundrel! Prepare fer imminent attack!

ARR!

No, really, Customs and Immigration are extremely competent.

Rachael98
07-13-11, 04:32 PM
Drift, we also have Lacock Abbey. It's a NT village. Bits of the Harry Potter films were shot there (you'll recognise it if you have seen the films).

greygull
07-13-11, 04:35 PM
I've always wanted to go to Arizona and see the Grand Canyon

How about we trade? I've seen the Grand Canyon, but would love to go to Australia. LOL  :) ;)

Mogwai4111
07-13-11, 04:36 PM
We were hoping to go to Seaworld San Diego, but have been hearing things like - no more tickets, they use your fingerprint? Anyone else know anything about this?

As far as I know you can still buy passes online and print them out, I did to get into Seaworld San Antonio a couple years ago. They use the fingerprinting for season pass holders.

greygull
07-13-11, 04:38 PM
As far as I know you can still buy passes online and print them out, I did to get into Seaworld San Antonio a couple years ago. They use the fingerprinting for season pass holders.

Thanks! I just heard about it, that they started it this year. Maybe I should actually try to contact them? lol

Rachael98
07-13-11, 04:39 PM
Thanks! I just heard about it, that they started it this year. Maybe I should actually try to contact them? lol

There's no harm in trying.

Mogwai4111
07-13-11, 04:47 PM

Yea or just go online and check out their website. If it's that new then it's something I hadn't heard of, but I can't imagine not being able to buy tickets online, they need the revenue, have you seen how much fish Shamu eats? Buckets upon buckets everyday, that is one mighty food bill!

nmishii
07-13-11, 04:57 PM
They have tickets and fingerprint scanners. I went to Sea World San Diego over the Easter break. Got a season pass at Costco for $86.xx and it includes parking, which is $15 a day I think. The first time you use your ticket or season pass the fingerprint scanner will register your fingerprint. If the ticket is for more than one day then you use the same ticket/pass, and the fingerprint scanner will verify that you are the same person who started using the ticket/pass on the first day. The scanner doesn't work that well with kids fingerprints though.

I live in Southern California, 11 miles from Disneyland, and the theme parks here that I have gone to recently have gone to fingerprint scanners. I went to the Disney parks in Orlando last year and they also use fingerprint scanners.

Anyway, went on a 7-day Mexican Riveria cruise in March (Cabo San Lucas, Puerta Vallerta). Plan to go to Orlando in Aug to go to Universal Islands of Adventure, which has the Harry Potter area. Las Vegas in Sept.

driftboutique
07-13-11, 05:10 PM
I've kind of mucked up my e-safety now, haven't I. Avebury and Stonehenge are World Heritage Sites and WWH and LM well known, but Wiltshire's in the SW of England. And you know that I live in the SW. Ah well. No one planning to mount an attack on me, I hope?
The Cotswolds (http://www.the-cotswolds.org/) are really, really picturesque. They're an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. And you can see why. They also have a really nice Wildlife Park (http://www.the-cotswolds.org/) (ZS:p!)

Haha, I'm going to show up at your door to get my irradiated chocolate cake ;)

The Cotswolds look PERFECT. Thank you so much! That's exactly the kind of place I want to go to. And looking it up, I realized I have heard of Avebury, as it's often grouped with Stonehenge. I like henges. I've never seen one, though.

Rachael98
07-13-11, 11:44 PM
Haha, I'm going to show up at your door to get my irradiated chocolate cake ;)

The Cotswolds look PERFECT. Thank you so much! That's exactly the kind of place I want to go to. And looking it up, I realized I have heard of Avebury, as it's often grouped with Stonehenge. I like henges. I've never seen one, though.

Only if I get some cake too:p:D!
Yes, Avebury and Stonehenge are the stones. As for henge, the actual definition means that you could get some chocolate bars (anything) and position them. That would then be a chocolate bar henge:)! The Monument is quite local, and the WWH are because of our soil type.
The Cotswold are very nice. Make sure you take suitable clothing for paddling! If it's a nice day, then there's a beautiful stream running through many of the villages. Everyone just goes in;).