PDA

View Full Version : Android Users Shouldn't Be Dismissed And Left Out Of Game-Functionality Updates

Xtian
07-02-11, 02:06 PM
:mad: Wake up, TeamLava -- Android users are a big part of the smart-phone / tablet device market, and this segment is growing rapidly all the time. In fact, I ditched my iPhone because Android phones are simply bettter, hands down. The specs speak for themselves.

It is absolutely ridiculous the Android versions of the games don't have the same functionality as iDevice games do. I'm growing tired of seeing requests from my neighbors for 'parts,' and not being able to send them anything but treats and tips in this game; I didn't even know what part-requests meant or what parts were for and had to come here to figure that out. Why am I getting requests for parts if I can't even respond to them?? Stupid, seriously. :confused:

I won't install any of your other simGames unless you fix them to work the same way, cross-platform. Stop dissing your Android users - our high-end Android phones and tablets cost just as much as the iDevices do, and we want to play your games the same way. :mad:

Rachael98
07-02-11, 05:30 PM
The combined iDevice Market makes up more than Android. Logically, that means that TL will update iDevice users first, then (if at all) move onto the Android codes, which are very different. Patience is a virtue...

Xtian
07-03-11, 03:18 PM
Rachael98, I didn't state there were more Android Device users than iDevice Users out there, I only stated the Android User segment of the smart-device market is very sizable and should be recognized as such. Further, my comment is about the functionality of the Android game being fundamentally different than the iDevice version, and I'm sure it must be very nice for iDevice users (like yourself? sounds like it) who are slaves to popular trends to have their wonderful little iDevices and thereby feel entitled to getting updated first because they bought the popular (but not better, just more commonplace) device over an Android device. Your comment comes off quite smarmy, Rachael98, and that's kind of my point in posting this. Logically, that means you're being a bit of a troll. I don't think Android users need to be content with "(if at all)" updates; the Android segment of smart-device users is much too large for that. Go troll somewhere else, thanks.

Rachael98
07-03-11, 03:29 PM
*deep breath*. If you respond like that again, I will leave this thread because I'll end up losing my cool.
I am an iDevice user, but not iPhone. I did not want a phone. I wanted a music player, and luckily it included TL games. If I actually did troll, which I would have thought in this context is unlikely, sorry.
I was merely stating that, as iDevices make up a larger (not the whole, but larger) part of the Market, then it would therefore make logical sense to update them first, as most agree.
As above, I am not a
slave to a popular trend. I bought it because it's what I was looking for. Personally, I in no way feel "entitled" to updates first. Of course though, I'm not going to complain about it.
Also, the 'if at all' is pretty much a quote. TeamLavs haven't guaranteed that they will release these updates to Android (though, for their sake as well as Droid user's, I hope they do). Therefore, you might not ever get it. Now, it's likely that you will if TL can for the reason that you stated which is that, though the Droid market is smaller than the Apple, it is still sizeable.
I think that's all.

trenae
07-03-11, 03:30 PM
Alrighty, a flame/device vs. device war is not necessary.

Xtian, unfortunately there are some differences playing on the different platforms. The games are continuously worked on and new features are added. The features offered may not be the same at this time, but hopefully will be something that is more of an even playing field in the future. As the coding is a bit different for the different platforms, it may take longer to implement some features while easier to implement on another. Unfortunately, the devices do offer some different abilities in terms of what they are able to do, so will likely have some variations, but that's not to say that it can't or won't be more even in the time to come.

I understand what you are saying though, while I am an iOS user, my sister is using an Android device, and is one of my neighbors. It would be nice for her to be able to gift me parts, and hopefully that will happen. I don't think that TeamLava tries to slight any of their user base, or do things intentionally different on the different platform. Maybe someday soon we'll all see and be able to use the new features in the game regardless of what platform we're using.

Rachael98
07-03-11, 03:35 PM
Alrighty, a flame/device vs. device war is not necessary.

I know it isn't. I was trying not to have one:p. But, it seems that I failed.
Your answer is good, although it still probably won't satisfy all Droid users. But that's just their choice I suppose. I personally wholeheartedly agree with you. Wow, that's a mouthful:D.

nmishii
07-03-11, 04:04 PM
I understand there are differences in the coding of both devices, but for functionality that requires interaction from neighbors, TL could come up with a feature that would work well on each, and implement in parallel. They may work slightly different due to device differences, but should be close. Then release to all devices at the same time.

If the release was something that the person did on their own, like the quests (I think) or coins for visiting/tipping, then there could be a delay in releases between devices. But I get annoying popup requests for parts that I have no idea who sent, I am constantly replying back to people's request for parts for gifts that I am on android and can't, I lost a couple of neighbors because I can't send parts, at least one neighbor quit because he was on android and didn't get the appliances, and I think I am being sent parts for gifts from neighbors since I am not getting gifts from them anymore, and they were daily gifters. It wasn't that bad when the easy appliances came out since not all neighbors did that, but the ice cream makers and drink machines are new and people want those, so the requests for parts vs food has increased dramatically since those appliances were released.

Before the easy appliances I didn't know or care what device people were on. The forum posts have not been as friendly since the constructables were released, whether it be specifically on the constructables or other topics, and I hope TL considers this in planning future releases.

Also kind of applies to releases based a holiday observed in only one country.

pinkster73
07-03-11, 04:20 PM
One word: wow

Rachael98
07-03-11, 04:23 PM
One word: wow

I wish that I could say that. Frankly, I think that this is ridiculous (I hope I'm not going have to pay for saying that). iDevices are updated first and that's the end of it. It's unfair, apparently, on Droid users even if logical and perhaps that should be changed. But that needs one request. Not the whole of the Android Community.

nmishii
07-03-11, 05:05 PM
Rachael98, I'm not exactly sure what part of my post was ridiculous so can you point out the ridiculous parts? I don't think it's ridiculous that a feature that has interactions from both android and idevice users be released at the same time. TL has opened their games to Android users since last Nov, and while it can take awhile to port all their stories to android, there has been plenty of time to treat the users of their supported devices a little more equally.

"iDevices are updated first and that's the end of it." Can you point me to the post from TL where this is said? I know this has been your stance in your posts to other android users, but I am wondering if it was because of something TL said. It would weigh more heavily coming from TL than just another forum poster.

Koukla99
07-03-11, 05:15 PM
Well TL accepts Android's users money so we are as customers as any IP customerss. we are nor 2nd class customers and it is normal to express our feelings related to this treatment we have been receiving. Every single Friday One or two of the stories games did not work and I Must wait 3 to 5 days to. get the updatings . No to mention the Easy. Appliances.

Rachael98
07-03-11, 11:41 PM
Right, I'm just blanking this thread now. Sorry, but this is far too heated.

ariesblu
07-04-11, 01:22 AM
There are more Android serviced phones in the market than there are Apple, so Teamlava should recognize this and work accordingly. The Android market has continued to become bigger and bigger, and there is no logical explanation for the disparities between the platform. I don't think it's fair to expect Android users to become complacent with the lack of access we have, and ok with the severe technical issues. As long as this game is available for download on the android market, it should be fully functional, no question.

mels7
07-04-11, 10:00 AM
Team lava ok i have the best of both worlds sort of,my son and daughter are apple users i devices iam android. So at least do get to c the,stuff but i must say iam so jealous and it's just not fair please hurry and try to get us the icecream maker and soda machine they are so awesome i really want one ..also i think after a certian # u cut us off from getting any mire appliances i think u should allow us to get some of the new ones please without turning in our ovens that would be great !,mels 7

Xtian
07-04-11, 11:07 AM
Rachael98, I have read through all of the comments on this thread and I find it interesting how frequently you are commenting on your emotional state, stating the thread is 'too heated' and you are 'about to lose your cool' and 'you need to take a deep breath' the like. Aside from the admittedly snarky comment I made *in response* to the *definitely* snarky comments you made, no one else has said anything I would consider out of line or out and out rude.

I think you're just getting all upset because you don't seem to understand how frustrating it is for those of us left out of a large part of the gameplay simply because of the choice of device we made, especially when we have to contend with numerous and frequent alerts about / requests for parts we can't comply with from our neighbors, and regularly having to explain our limited gameplay to them.

Why exactly do you find us expressing our feelings so over-the-top heated? I think that's *very* interesting. Perhaps it's best after all you 'blanked this thread,' whatever that means, so that you don't explode! Goodbye, Rachael98! *waves happily*

pinkster73
07-04-11, 12:34 PM
My "wow" was directed at how personal and aggressive some people get. Everyone relax and deep breathe. I am an Android user myself so I understand your frustrations but no need to get all worked up. All good things come to those who wait. (Or something like that ha ha)

driftboutique
07-04-11, 01:25 PM
There are more Android serviced phones in the market than there are Apple, so Teamlava should recognize this and work accordingly. The Android market has continued to become bigger and bigger, and there is no logical explanation for the disparities between the platform. I don't think it's fair to expect Android users to become complacent with the lack of access we have, and ok with the severe technical issues. As long as this game is available for download on the android market, it should be fully functional, no question.

It's not an apples-to-apples comparison. This is true for smartphones but not true when comparing iOS devices (including ipod touch and ipad) against Android devices.

driftboutique
07-04-11, 01:32 PM
My "wow" was directed at how personal and aggressive some people get. Everyone relax and deep breathe. I am an Android user myself so I understand your frustrations but no need to get all worked up. All good things come to those who wait. (Or something like that ha ha)

Well said! I do get frustrated myself because I keep seeing people perpetuating inaccurate information, but this is really out of hand. I personally do not like the Android OS, but I certainly don't look down on people who prefer it. There are plenty of valid reasons for choosing an Android device -- let's start with the desire to have a carrier other than AT&T or Verizon! Likewise, while Apple may have a cultish fan base, there are a lotttt of people out there with iPods and even iPhones who don't give a **** about the brand and just care about the looks and the functionality.

greygull
07-04-11, 01:48 PM

Nice!
Ok, I'm not on BS, but am on RS. And I'm on both platforms. When RS first came out on Android, it only had 1/4 of the items. I did download it, but didn't start playing until it caught up. From what I've been seeing around different threads, it looks like the constructible items are being worked on to be available for Android.
I don't know if there are more people on one platform or another, so I'm not even going to guess. I know here are lots of players, and no one can please everyone all of the time. For my Android, I just deal with it for now, and hope that the new stuff will be here soon!

fatty420
07-04-11, 09:30 PM
*deep breath*. If you respond like that again, I will leave this thread because I'll end up losing my cool.
I am an iDevice user, but not iPhone. I did not want a phone. I wanted a music player, and luckily it included TL games. If I actually did troll, which I would have thought in this context is unlikely, sorry.
I was merely stating that, as iDevices make up a larger (not the whole, but larger) part of the Market, then it would therefore make logical sense to update them first, as most agree.
As above, I am not a . I bought it because it's what I was looking for. Personally, I in no way feel "entitled" to updates first. Of course though, I'm not going to complain about it.
Also, the 'if at all' is pretty much a quote. TeamLavs haven't guaranteed that they will release these updates to Android (though, for their sake as well as Droid user's, I hope they do). Therefore, you might not ever get it. Now, it's likely that you will if TL can for the reason that you stated which is that, though the Droid market is smaller than the Apple, it is still sizeable.
I think that's all.

Isn't this about android phones go to your wonder iPad/iPhone forum why are you even on here? By the way how is your service oh yeah you need WiFi to use that overpriced pad lol

pinkster73
07-04-11, 10:15 PM
Hey now, no need to get nasty.

ariesblu
07-04-11, 10:53 PM
It's not an apples-to-apples comparison. This is true for smartphones but not true when comparing iOS devices (including ipod touch and ipad) against Android devices.

I was referring to smartphones in this instance.

driftboutique
07-04-11, 10:56 PM
I was referring to smartphones in this instance.

But the smartphone market share is not relevant since TL games are playable on devices other than smartphones.

ariesblu
07-04-11, 11:10 PM
But the smartphone market share is not relevant since TL games are playable on devices other than smartphones.
How is it not relevant? A lot of people utilize apps from their smartphones, like I did and continue to do after I purchased mine. I know plenty of people, including myself, who utilize apps and play games on devices that are not ipads or iphone touches (i.e. smartphones)

ariesblu
07-04-11, 11:11 PM
How is it not relevant? A lot of people utilize apps from their smartphones, like I did and continue to do after I purchased mine. I know plenty of people, including myself, who utilize apps and play games on devices that are not ipads or iphone touches (i.e. smartphones)
*Ipod touches. Too bad some of us cannot edit :p

driftboutique
07-04-11, 11:15 PM

Yes, I understand that. But it makes no difference to TL what device someone is using*, only what platform they're using. So it doesn't matter in regards to the situation at hand what the smartphone market shares are, because they develop for the platform, not the device.

*it makes a difference in some regards, but not in terms of identifying audience segments.

driftboutique
07-04-11, 11:16 PM
Too bad some of us cannot edit :p

Another victory for the Android conspiracy!

ariesblu
07-04-11, 11:28 PM
Another victory for the Android conspiracy!
No conspiracy, it's fact. I couldn't edit my post, which is why I corrected in another one...

ariesblu
07-04-11, 11:38 PM
Yes, I understand that. But it makes no difference to TL what device someone is using*, only what platform they're using. So it doesn't matter in regards to the situation at hand what the smartphone market shares are, because they develop for the platform, not the device.

*it makes a difference in some regards, but not in terms of identifying audience segments.

I still say it is not irrelevant, when teamlava tries to make their games available to as many people on the android platform. I remember going through the forums earlier on, and reading a post from Norman speaking on unsupported devices, and teamlava's move to have their game on as many as possible. So they care about what devices android users are using, so they can play as well. Especially when you are asked what device you have before you're asked what os system you are running, when you send support an email.

driftboutique
07-04-11, 11:58 PM
I still say it is not irrelevant, when teamlava tries to make their games available to as many people on the android platform. I remember going through the forums earlier on, and reading a post from Norman speaking on unsupported devices, and teamlava's move to have their game on as many as possible. So they care about what devices android users are using, so they can play as well. Especially when you are asked what device you have before you're asked what os system you are running, when you send support an email.

That's not why they ask at all, and the rest of your comment doesn't make much sense to me.

nmishii
07-05-11, 12:22 AM
I don't think it matters which device/platform has more of the marketshare. TL is a company that has been developing iDevice software for a long time, and their staff is most likely more proficient at developing for an iDevice over an Android device. So to say that it is logical to deploy to iDevice first because there is a larger marketshare is the opinion of some iDevice posters, but may or may not be the reason. TL would need to answer why they are releasing to iDevices first, and they've been relatively quiet on this issue and on when/if the releases will be on Android. To say it is delayed on Android because there is a problem with the Android codes is not accurate either (I recall a post telling us to complain to the Android manufacturers or something like that); I think it could be a problem with their staff not being as proficient developing for an Android. But they saw the advantage of expanding to Android and opened their games to Android users over 7 months ago. By now they should have developed or hired a staff that can design and port their applications to Android proficiently so they can grow in that market. This is my opinion.

If a company specialized in Android applications and recenlty ported their code to iDevice, would they then release updates to iDevice first because iDevice has the larger marketshare (assuming that is true)?

Anyway, there weren't as many posts for other iDevice-only releases that were standalone, and they weren't as emotional on any of the Android or iDevice poster's part. But this one requies interactions from neighbors and not all neighbors can interact, and besides being a more desirable release, it is impacting the play of Android users, as you can read from posts from different people on different threads. This release really shouldn't have occurred until available to both platforms supported.

TL really needs to answer to the Android users, and not put the burden on other forum posters who do not know all of what is going on in the TL office.

driftboutique
07-05-11, 11:10 AM
If a company specialized in Android applications and recenlty ported their code to iDevice, would they then release updates to iDevice first because iDevice has the larger marketshare (assuming that is true)?

This is a good post. I just wanted to share a couple of things in reply:

1. It's true that I cannot speak for TL and my opinions are my own. That said, I have worked in mobile so I am trying to share some general industry information that might help lend insight into why things happen the way they happen.

2. Regarding the first part of the quote, I really don't think that anyone out there is developing for Android before iOS at the moment. Android smartphones have really only recently unseated iPhones as the market leader, but more importantly, iOS is the more established platform with more seasoned developers, meaning it's familiar territory. Yes, I think it is likely that by now TL has hired a staff of Android developers, but also remember that they have been working hard to roll out Fashion Story and Zoo Story. With those live, I imagine there is more bandwidth to allocate to updates.

3. Regarding the second part, I finally found some numbers and frankly it's more staggering than I expected, with the iOS market share outstripping Android by 56%. More info here. (http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events/Press_Releases/2011/4/Apple_iOS_Platform_Outreaches_Android_by_59_Percen t_in_U.S) This data is nearly three months old, but while the numbers may have changed slightly I highly doubt that the overall picture has shifted.

Xtian
07-05-11, 04:24 PM
I appreciate the intelligent discussion here (as opposed to some people posting Android OS players should simply lump it because the iOS is more 'popular' which simply isn't true, at least not out of hand the way it was implied). Hopefully TL will see this thread and take note at the frustration and displeasure of the Android players who posted here; I certainly understand having to wait for things sometimes, but it seems to me the issues is being ignored somewhat by TL and I simply want them to recognize no matter which OS has the market share, that the Android players are a significant portion of their fan base and therefore they should pay attention to them. That's the only point I wanted to make.

psychochik27546
07-06-11, 06:10 AM
Yes I hope so too as I am very upset about it also. It is nice that they are making the new games for android but I really wish they would just fix the problems with the other games first instead of worrying about the new games. Zoo story seems to be kinda stupid anyways, everything is done within a minute so you would have to be on your phone every second of the day and then you need energy in order to do things.. and there are no masteries like the other games and you have to plant crops like its the farm game lol. I think I would just prefer being able to build things in the other games. I saw an update for the ice cream machine in the bakery and I couldnt even do it so that was a nice tease! Please fix this for android users! There really are a lot of us as androids are better anyways hehe. Did you know that iphones dont even support flash? I only found that out when my husband was thinking of switching to the iphone just to play your games! And then he found that out and was like yeah right no thanks lol.

smartchoice
07-08-11, 03:32 AM
Has anyone ever thought that Teamlava might be working for Apple and trying to persuade Android users to switch to Apple by not updating Android users?

coatimom
07-15-11, 04:24 PM
I really don't have a problem with not getting the new appliances just yet, I understand they rolled out what they could to who they could. But in the meantime, is there a way, when neighbors go to gift each other, if only the gifts they can actually give appear as options? Obviously, being an android user, I haven't seen the screen for those that can gift parts, but I know I can't receive them, so giving them to me shouldn't be an option. Likewise with requesting parts, can people perhaps only be able to request parts from those that can actually supply them? That way I'm not losing out on gifts and my neighbors don't think I suck. Did that make sense? Are these little fixes possible while we wait?

jovenal
07-15-11, 06:08 PM
I really don't have a problem with not getting the new appliances just yet, I understand they rolled out what they could to who they could. But in the meantime, is there a way, when neighbors go to gift each other, if only the gifts they can actually give appear as options? Obviously, being an android user, I haven't seen the screen for those that can gift parts, but I know I can't receive them, so giving them to me shouldn't be an option. Likewise with requesting parts, can people perhaps only be able to request parts from those that can actually supply them? That way I'm not losing out on gifts and my neighbors don't think I suck. Did that make sense? Are these little fixes possible while we wait?

Check your Android appstore for an updated version. CS can finally do a constructible building TODAY. Check if an update for RS is also available.

nmishii
07-15-11, 07:50 PM
I have the latest versions of Farm, Restaurant, and Bakery Story installed from the Android Market. I don't see constructables. I'm assuming for RS and BS they'd be in the Appliance tab.

There was a post somewhere a week or two ago where someone posted a screen shot of constructables on an Android from one of the Stories but not Farm, Rest, or Bakery. I thought it was for City Story.

Plus I think with all the recent posts on the constructables for RS and BS that there'd be an announcement.

sugarland2010
07-15-11, 11:00 PM
Just a note to say I see ALL your points and understand what your all saying. I agree with NMISHII the updates shouldn't have been released until everybody had an opportunity to take advantage of the update. I am an iPhone user and have many friends/neighbors with an android device. I wish they had the same opportunities that we have, there are a lot of understanding patient neighbors but I as a person feel bad that they can't enjoy the same features I have access too. It would have been a good idea to release these features all at one time. Rachael98 I see what you were trying to get across xtian was just expressing his/her frustration. Its understandable. I made two lists for my neighbors in the mean time gifting food and material approprietly, I hope soon ALL my neighbors can enjoy the benefits of great updates.

JNetty79
07-17-11, 09:19 AM
Well Miss Rachel98 it does take a whole community of Droid users to be pissed cuz obviously nothing is being done about it. I can't believe you see the unfairness about and still being so rude. Makes me want to undownload all my TL games.

jovenal
07-17-11, 10:08 AM
As you can see TL is working on correcting this. It has been posted that a new version of CS that takes advantage of the constructible building. If they have it working on one of their games, then it just a matter of time that constructible item will be supported on all their game for Android devices. The last thing you want them to do is rush it and causes inconsistently and more problems.

terridtmd
07-19-11, 12:45 PM
There are ALOT more Android devices than iDevices. This is very backward thinking, and simply ignores more than two thirds of the smartphone market. Please start making sense!

filo66
07-19-11, 01:39 PM
As you can see TL is working on correcting this. [...] The last thing you want them to do is rush it and causes inconsistently and more problems.

I don't see any evidence that TL is working on this. What I'd prefer, however, is that they hold new functionality like this until it is available for all of their users. It simply isn't fair that iOS users have access to functionality that the rest of us do not.

GroupMagma
07-19-11, 01:40 PM
I don't see any evidence that TL is working on this.

City Story and Zoo Story have almost full feature parity with their iOS counterparts. We're working on the rest.

filo66
07-19-11, 02:34 PM
City Story and Zoo Story have almost full feature parity with their iOS counterparts.

I don't play those so I wouldn't know what the gaps are, but, almost...

We're working on the rest.

Hopefully you will excuse my skepticism but "we're working on it" could mean "someone mentioned it as a wish-list item at a design meeting once" or "we've got a group of ten dedicated engineers working double-shifts to get it done and we've broken three whips just this week" or anything in between. ;)

I'd be happier with "Some/Most/All of the requested features are in development/testing/beta and we hope to release by the end of the month/next month/2036 if all goes well. There could, of course, be unexpected delays..."

Not that y'all should worry 'bout my happiness. :P

And you've said previously that:

I can't guarantee Android users will always get updates at the same time as iOS users; nor can I guarantee vice versa.

The main problem with all of this, IMO, is that TL made a decision to be unfair to a substantial portion of its user base. As the face of TL on the forums you've effectively said that y'all aren't going to worry about that going forward and that, to me, is a more vexing situation than the current feature gap.

driftboutique
07-19-11, 03:04 PM
There are ALOT more Android devices than iDevices. This is very backward thinking, and simply ignores more than two thirds of the smartphone market. Please start making sense!

This is not true. Android controls closer to 1/3 of the smartphone market, and there are half again as many iOS devices as Android as of 1Q 2011.

filo66
07-19-11, 03:36 PM
This is not true. Android controls closer to 1/3 of the smartphone market, and there are half again as many iOS devices as Android as of 1Q 2011.

That's about right (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/07/android-and-apple-gain-smartphone-share-while-rim-falls-report-says.html)(as of the beginning of July) -

Smartphones running on Google's Android operating system grabbed 38.1% of the American smartphone market in the three months ended in May, a jump of more than 5% compared with the previous three months, while Apple gained a modest 1.4% to take 26.6% of the market, according to the report, released Tuesday. Troubled RIM slipped to 24.7%.

Add in other iOS devices and Apple still leads, for the time being, but not by a whole lot.

But that's not relevant to the discussion at hand either way, IMO.

driftboutique
07-19-11, 05:15 PM
But that's not relevant to the discussion at hand either way, IMO.

Correct facts are always relevant.

filo66
07-19-11, 05:54 PM
Correct facts are always relevant.

True. My point was that the discussion of market share wasn't. :)

driftboutique
07-19-11, 06:01 PM

There was no discussion, just a correction of inaccurate information :) Carry on.

jovenal
07-19-11, 09:15 PM

But you did and brought up the market share on your previous post.

The main problem with all of this, IMO, is that TL made a decision to be unfair to a substantial portion of its user base. As the face of TL on the forums you've effectively said that y'all aren't going to worry about that going forward and that, to me, is a more vexing situation than the current feature gap.
that sounds like you're stating that the substantial portion of the players on TL games are Android users. And since you don't have the actual number of users per OS, your assumption that Android TL players outnumbered iOS players is based on market share!

filo66
07-20-11, 06:46 AM
But you did and brought up the market share on your previous post.

I've talked about it before, but not here.

that sounds like you're stating that the substantial portion of the players on TL games are Android users. And since you don't have the actual number of users per OS, your assumption that Android TL players outnumbered iOS players is based on market share!

Uhm, no. Substantial doesn't mean most it means large or significant. What I said was that TL has decided to deliberately alienate a large portion of their user base by unfairly denying them content provided to other users.

As I've also said before they are certainly within their rights to do that. It's their product and their business. I just think it was a bad business move. It'd be like Microsoft selling Windows 7 Ultimate to only Intel chip users and not allowing AMD users those features...

GroupMagma
07-20-11, 10:50 AM
What I said was that TL has decided to deliberately alienate a large portion of their user base by unfairly denying them content provided to other users.

As I've also said before they are certainly within their rights to do that. It's their product and their business. I just think it was a bad business move. It'd be like Microsoft selling Windows 7 Ultimate to only Intel chip users and not allowing AMD users those features...

For one thing guys... group hug. Come on. Everybody. Hug it out.

Secondly, I don't feel that "deliberately alienate" is a fair description. Android is a different beast than iOS in terms of Coding (not that I understand much of this, as I'm fairly certain "computer science and engineering" is an elaborate cover for witchcraft). Features created for one don't necessarily port effortlessly to the other. However, we have released 3 new games on Android in the last month or so, and we're working on making sure all the features of these games are similar to that of their iOS counterparts.

filo66
07-20-11, 11:18 AM
For one thing guys... group hug. Come on. Everybody. Hug it out.

**HUGZ**

I do feel better! :D

Secondly, I don't feel that "deliberately alienate" is a fair description. Android is a different beast than iOS in terms of Coding (not that I understand much of this, as I'm fairly certain "computer science and engineering" is an elaborate cover for witchcraft). Features created for one don't necessarily port effortlessly to the other.

It's all a matter of perspective. TL created content for iOS that they didn't have for Android and decided to release it to one user base before it was ready for the other. Yes, the two products are on different code-bases, etc. (and yes CS is witchcraft, which reminds me: add eye of newt to shopping list...) but the decision to give significant content to one group and not another was deliberate. Did TL anticipate that giving substantial features to one group over another would alienate (upset? miff? bother? irk?) those not given those features? Maybe not, but to me it seems pretty obvious that it would - the affected group has recipes they can't produce, experience they can't gain, gems they can't earn, etc. And, unlike the contests that relied on iOS features, there is no workaround for this.

The decision was deliberate. The dissatisfaction from the Android community (at least the small portion of it represented on the forums) is real.

Maybe "deliberately alienate" is too strong a term but TL did make a choice to be unfair to a subset of its user base. Or is "unfair" too strong a term too? ;)

However, we have released 3 new games on Android in the last month or so, and we're working on making sure all the features of these games are similar to that of their iOS counterparts.

The new releases are great news for TL and for those who play those games. Making sure that all users get the same experience is also a great idea. Can we expect that functional parity, once reached, will continue or, better yet, once Android catches up will new stuff be released for that platform months in advance of the iOS versions? :p

GroupMagma
07-20-11, 11:49 AM
I can't speculate that far into the future (nor what I will have for lunch today, in like 20 minutes). However, TeamLava games are also not competitive (they're collaborative, if anything), and missing features for one party doesn't necessarily harm that party so much as it helps those who do have access to those features.

That isn't to say I don't understand the frustration; I do (I'm a proud Android-only user myself). And we receive that feedback in more media than just the forums. But one common characteristic about the mobile gaming market is its liquid nature; our games are constantly changing, improving, evolving, etc. Not all of our games improve at the same rate, and that holds true for versions of our games. When we develop new features, we want to get those out to our audience as soon as possible so we can continue to improve and iterate on these features. Sometimes, that unfortunately means some users have access to certain features before others.

filo66
07-20-11, 12:12 PM
I can't speculate that far into the future (nor what I will have for lunch today, in like 20 minutes).

I'd suggest Chinese food. You can't go wrong with Chinese food! :)

However, TeamLava games are also not competitive (they're collaborative, if anything), and missing features for one party doesn't necessarily harm that party so much as it helps those who do have access to those features.

True.

That isn't to say I don't understand the frustration; I do (I'm a proud Android-only user myself). And we receive that feedback in more media than just the forums. But one common characteristic about the mobile gaming market is its liquid nature; our games are constantly changing, improving, evolving, etc. Not all of our games improve at the same rate, and that holds true for versions of our games. When we develop new features, we want to get those out to our audience as soon as possible so we can continue to improve and iterate on these features. Sometimes, that unfortunately means some users have access to certain features before others.

And I do understand that. It's a valid decision even if it's one I disagree with. Better, IMO, to have an equal emphasis on both/all platforms so that those new features are ready for everyone faster and at the same time.

But that's just me re-re-re-repeating and I've more than beaten this dead horse into a bloody pulp. Sorry 'bout that. I'll do my best to be done with this topic. :)

Enjoy your Chinese food! ;)

Mogwai4111
07-20-11, 12:19 PM
The dissatisfaction from the Android community (at least the small portion of it represented on the forums) is real.

This is another reason I don't think releasing the new appliances for iDevices ahead of Android was a bad decision.

If not for the goofs with the in-game easy appliance and drink machine announcement pop-ups, the forums (or word of mouth from neighbors) would be the only way to know these new features exist. What % of Android users would even know about them? Take that small number, and consider how many of that small number would be upset enough to stop buying gems, or quit playing the game all together, and compare it to the increase in loyalty/gem spending among the iDevice users. I don't know numbers, but I think it's safe to say the iDevice community dwarfs that specific set of Android users thousands of times.

With how competitive and fast paced the mobile app market is today, developing a substantial feature and then putting it on the shelf for months just doesn't make sense to me. You'd be risking losing a lot iDevicers to similar apps for the sake of a handful of Android users.

Mogwai4111
07-20-11, 12:21 PM
Woops, took too long with my reply. Oh well, I'm leaving it up anyway :P

jovenal
07-20-11, 06:58 PM
Uhm, no. Substantial doesn't mean most it means large or significant. What I said was that TL has decided to deliberately alienate a large portion of their user base by unfairly denying them content provided to other users.

True, substantial doesn't mean most but it it means sizable amount. Since TL is deliberately alienating a large portion of their user base, how big is this portion? 20, 30, 40, 50 or maybe 60 percent of their user base. You have no proof of how big or small Android users base is.

Let's assume that 38.1% (as of July, Android control 38.1% of the US smartphone) of TL user are Android users, what's their ROI for the Android platform?

And, unlike the contests that relied on iOS features, there is no workaround for this.

So you admit that there is difference between the two Operating System. so why is it so hard for you to see that those features available to iOS are difficult to code in Android?

TL created content for iOS that they didn't have for Android and decided to release it to one user base before it was ready for the other. Yes, the two products are on different code-bases, etc. but the decision to give significant content to one group and not another was deliberate.

This done throughout the industry. PC games are notorious for doing these. Games are released for Windows pc before the Mac port. Sometimes they are released a year ahead before a compatible Mac version. And most of the time the Mac version would be featureless than it's counterpart.

Developers do this to make sure that their product is out and not collecting dust until a comparable feature is also available to the other OS. Imagine TL hold off releasing every feature until they're available to all users, they would lose a significant players to other similar games.
ROI plays a significant role in making this decision.

jovenal
07-20-11, 07:02 PM
This is another reason I don't think releasing the new appliances for iDevices ahead of Android was a bad decision.

If not for the goofs with the in-game easy appliance and drink machine announcement pop-ups, the forums (or word of mouth from neighbors) would be the only way to know these new features exist. What % of Android users would even know about them? Take that small number, and consider how many of that small number would be upset enough to stop buying gems, or quit playing the game all together, and compare it to the increase in loyalty/gem spending among the iDevice users. I don't know numbers, but I think it's safe to say the iDevice community dwarfs that specific set of Android users thousands of times.

With how competitive and fast paced the mobile app market is today, developing a substantial feature and then putting it on the shelf for months just doesn't make sense to me. You'd be risking losing a lot iDevicers to similar apps for the sake of a handful of Android users.

Agreed! Without new features available, I cut down my playing time with TL's games and started to look for other games.

Lennatron
07-25-11, 06:53 AM
:mad: Wake up, TeamLava -- Android users are a big part of the smart-phone / tablet device market, and this segment is growing rapidly all the time. In fact, I ditched my iPhone because Android phones are simply bettter, hands down. The specs speak for themselves.

It is absolutely ridiculous the Android versions of the games don't have the same functionality as iDevice games do. I'm growing tired of seeing requests from my neighbors for 'parts,' and not being able to send them anything but treats and tips in this game; I didn't even know what part-requests meant or what parts were for and had to come here to figure that out. Why am I getting requests for parts if I can't even respond to them?? Stupid, seriously. :confused:

I won't install any of your other simGames unless you fix them to work the same way, cross-platform. Stop dissing your Android users - our high-end Android phones and tablets cost just as much as the iDevices do, and we want to play your games the same way. :mad:

Thank you for posting this. Rachael is right, iOS still has the marketshare over Android not due to to the iPhone but due to the other devices such as iPod Touch and iPads. It still is not right, however, to ignore Android which now has over 550,000 activations PER DAY worldwide. Android is to big to be ignored and we are a huge part of the market. We will becoming an even bigger part of the market with such rapid growth. TeamLava, you have to develop for us just as you do for iOS. I know you want Android to crawl under the rug and I die so you have only one platform to develop for but its just not that way. You need to treat us with respect and equality, platforms do not and will not die over night, Android is here to stay, deal with it.

nmishii
07-25-11, 05:20 PM
Since updating RS and BS late last week on my Android, I can now see the construction boxes in an RS neighbor's restaurant. I haven't seen them in BS, but maybe my neighbors are all done building what they want.

The boxes are levitated about a square above the floor so they still need some work. But, we should have the constructables sometime this year.

Jbug2116
07-25-11, 09:12 PM
Since updating RS and BS late last week on my Android, I can now see the construction boxes in an RS neighbor's restaurant. I haven't seen them in BS, but maybe my neighbors are all done building what they want.

The boxes are levitated about a square above the floor so they still need some work. But, we should have the constructables sometime this year.

That's what I had been saying to a few people; hopefully, seeing those calmed the storm and showed people to be patient.

terramat
07-27-11, 09:29 AM
That's what I had been saying to a few people; hopefully, seeing those calmed the storm and showed people to be patient.

WOO HOO! I just started seeing them in BS and RS yesterday too. I am a driod user as well. I also love the update that was made recently, I now get bonus coins and exp when I go to my neighbor's places. Slowly but surely. :D I'm a happy girl!