PDA

View Full Version : Grilled corn is 1 hour? Why, GM, why???

cakeandpie
07-01-11, 12:04 PM
*in mock agony* GroupMagma, tell me, why, why, why are all the recipes for the grill one hour??? Why are 5 out of 8 recipes for the grill only 1 hour???

</silliness>

Really though, if you could tell me the answer, that would be great, along with assuring me that one day...one day!!!...there will be recipes for the missing time periods. I don't care too much for 1 hour cook times because I don't like to be on my ipod all day constantly checking the game...I know there have to be a few 1 hour recipes, but this makes no sense at all! BTW the corn is a cool recipe, as was the hot dog, I just want some different and more convenient time periods.

GroupMagma
07-01-11, 12:09 PM
Not rightly sure; unfortunately, the person to bug about this is out of the office at the moment, so I'll do that after the weekend.

xokay
07-01-11, 12:10 PM
I don't understand what the problem is.. The grill has clearly been set up to have shorter recipes. There are new recipes (Berry Pie and Celebration Trifle) and one hour recipes don't expire immediately once they're done so you don't really need to come back every hour to check?

cwmw
07-01-11, 12:13 PM
i'm super happy they released three recipes this week!!!!! its really awesome anyway ~~~ :)

twompy
07-01-11, 12:38 PM
*sigh* OVERLY Happy with the continued updates... happy face dampered by Hour Corn.. and yeah GroupMagma soon as that person gets back in the office please give him a EAR full.. *pun intended*

nibbles37
07-01-11, 12:55 PM
That's quite strange!!!!!!!

flavoredjane
07-01-11, 01:18 PM
I like getting new short recipes!

cakeandpie
07-01-11, 01:30 PM
I don't understand what the problem is.. The grill has clearly been set up to have shorter recipes. There are new recipes (Berry Pie and Celebration Trifle) and one hour recipes don't expire immediately once they're done so you don't really need to come back every hour to check?

Since it takes food the same amount of time it cooks before it spoils, that means you have 2 hours max from the start of the recipe until it spoils, which still isn't a lot of time. I'm a busy mom with young children and I just can't be attached to my ipod all day. I imagine 1 hour recipes are also inconvenient for people who work outside the home and can't be playing their games all day. Plus you can't make 1 hour recipes overnight or during times you have to be away from internet access for awhile (for those of us not playing on phones). New longer recipes on other appliances don't make a difference with regard to the grill. If I don't have less than 2 hours, I have to either put on one of the 3 longer recipes (all of which I've already mastered) or leave the grill idle.

cakeandpie
07-01-11, 01:30 PM
Not rightly sure; unfortunately, the person to bug about this is out of the office at the moment, so I'll do that after the weekend.

Thanks GM, appreciate how responsive you are! :)

driftboutique
07-01-11, 02:16 PM
I love the one hour recipes. In fact, I'd like to see more fast-turnaround items in the future :)

talyon
07-01-11, 02:52 PM
I love the one hour recipes. In fact, I'd like to see more fast-turnaround items in the future :)

McTeamLava Fries. 

xSnowyOwlx
07-01-11, 03:15 PM

I think my only problem is overnight I only have 2 options to cook on the grill at 12 hours and 16 hours. Last week when the hotdogs came out someone made a good point of mentioning over half of the grill recipes are 1 hour.

xSnowyOwlx
07-01-11, 03:18 PM
Since it takes food the same amount of time it cooks before it spoils, that means you have 2 hours max from the start of the recipe until it spoils, which still isn't a lot of time. I'm a busy mom with young children and I just can't be attached to my ipod all day. I imagine 1 hour recipes are also inconvenient for people who work outside the home and can't be playing their games all day. Plus you can't make 1 hour recipes overnight or during times you have to be away from internet access for awhile (for those of us not playing on phones). New longer recipes on other appliances don't make a difference with regard to the grill. If I don't have less than 2 hours, I have to either put on one of the 3 longer recipes (all of which I've already mastered) or leave the grill idle.

I know that this works for stuff that takes 15 minutes and more but I've noticed that I can wait over half an hour at minimum for the 5 minute recipes or orders in other games. It's weird but I don't know exactly how long those last after they are ready as I only realized this when I didn't get a notification and was annoyed when I remembered it had been almost 40 minutes since the 5 minutes order and it was still there waiting to be placed on the counter or rack (Fashion and Bakery) or collected (City, Farm and Empire).

Rachael98
07-01-11, 03:23 PM

The office? I thought that you'd rechristened it The Volcano:p. And don't get any bugs. Get fixes:D.

Thanks GM, appreciate how responsive you are! :)

I think we all do.
In principle I agree with your views. But I haven't seen anything further than Portabello Mushroom:(, so I can't completely judge. But hopefully it means that more new food is on the way.

Still no peacock on FmS though?

cakeandpie
07-01-11, 03:27 PM

I'd also like to see some more fast-turnaround items, as in less than an hour. For instance, I can start a 15 minute recipe, take care of my other story games, and come back and the 15 minute one is done. It's really nice to have fast recipes that match time periods on other appliances. It's also nice to have a variety of fast recipe times because if you have, say, 30 minutes until a food is done on another appliance, you can put a 30-minute recipe on so they end at the same time. With TL coming out with 1-hour after 1-hour recipes, they're still leaving these holes blank. (I'd also like to see 1, 5, and 30 minute recipes for the oven.)

cakeandpie
07-01-11, 03:29 PM
xSnowyOwlx, I think they may give you up to an hour with the short ones. I haven't completely tested this theory yet however.

lytasty
07-01-11, 11:22 PM
I like one hour food, even 30 min is good too....

MaineItalian
07-02-11, 08:17 AM
I actually wanted something 4-6 hours but 1 hour is okay...

dewey1025
07-02-11, 11:21 AM
Clearly, a vast majority of the RS population doesn't interpret cooking food beyond the tap-wait-serve motions. One-hour food items are clearly much better than foods that take a long time to cook.

First of all, as a general rule of thumb, one-hours food items significantly more XP per hour than long foods, so you end up getting way more XP on one-hour foods than long foods in the same amount of cook time. In addition, one-hour food items are mastered much more quickly than long food items -- one day compared to 5-7 days for less-than-one-day foods and up to two weeks for two-day foods. This means that one-hour food items not only give you XP at a much faster rate, you get an additional 370 XP, 17000 coins, and 1 gem in less than a day.

Well, you might say that one-hour food items are quickly mastered so quickly done with. Well, the burst in XP and coins doesn't just have the immediate effect on your restaurant. Even if you'd eventually earn that XP anyways, earning it quickly is much better, since leveling up means more appliances, and more appliances equals more XP and coins. For example, if person A reaches level 10 in one day and earns an extra appliance and person B reaches level 10 in three days, then person A is much farther ahead because person A has one more appliance than person B on days two and three.

Since I started playing RS, I've been cooking same food items and still haven't mastered everything. Don't freak out at one-hour food items; they're a quick boost in XP and coins, and you won't have any shortage of long food items to cook during work or sleep. I'll be ticked if the misinformed general public convinces Team Lava to come out with long foods only. Then I'll have to trudge along and level up once every three days.

greygull
07-02-11, 11:39 AM
I definitely see your point, Dewey. But what about the flip side? I've been playing since October. I'm 6500 xp from level 96. I have all expansions, and my restaurant designed just the way I want. I was about to quit when the updates finally started coming out. One hour foods are great when you need the xp and coins, but longer foods give some of us something to look forward to for the whole week. I was fortunate enough to get the update yesterday. I've already mastered both corn and berry pie. I'll probably have the trifle done by Monday or Tuesday. I'm not trying to complain, I'm just stating that the rest of the week I'll either have empty appliances, or cooking something I've already mastered. I'm just hoping they will start mixing up the times a bit more, like a 2 hour and a 2 day recipe for an update. Everyone is on different levels. Some ask for shorter times, some ask for longer. I'm just grateful there are updates now.

cakeandpie
07-02-11, 01:49 PM
I agree, greygull. I've been playing for 6 months and making coins and XP fast just aren't that important to me anymore. Furthermore, my point still stands: there are LOTS of times I *just don't have* two or less hours to make these short recipes. I don't care at all how fast I get mastery, coins, XP or whatever if I can't even use the recipe a lot of the time because I am busy, away, or asleep and so cannot use 1-hour recipes. 1-hour recipes are too short for these times, yet too long for when I want to just throw on some fast things (like 1, 5, and 15 minutes) during my gameplay time.

hippoberry
07-02-11, 02:03 PM
I've never put out Garden Salad ONCE since starting to master it like a month ago. And I'm working on 4 proficiency right now. Here's the routine: I start cooking Garden Salad. Life happens. I throw away Garden Salad. Tell myself never to make it again unless I have free time. Life Happens. I wonder why I haven't mastered a simple 30 minute recipe yet. I repeat.

Needless to say, I'm all for the long hour ones !

nmishii
07-02-11, 03:10 PM
I used to want the shorter time foods since they do give the higher $/hr cooked and xp/hr cooked and wouldn't go near the 1 and 2 day foods. Now I have the original foods mastered and don't care about XP anymore. With the shorter time foods I master the weekly updates fairly quickly and last week just cooked 2 roast chickens all week just to have something cooking. You don't get the money until you sell the food and I had >500K plates of food in my inventory and was trying to get enough money to buy my last expansion. I'm less than $400K from that goal now and after that won't care about XP or $, unless they come out with foods that unlock at a higher level than I'm at (currently 80). The one day cooking times (e.g., smores, mushrooms) let me play all week rather than a day or two.

driftboutique
07-02-11, 05:08 PM
Just a thought, guys. I see a lot of higher-level players who essentially get mastery through blunt force. All grills, all making corn. That sort of thing. So they master quickly and get annoyed that there's nothing to do.

It's understandable, but I take a different approach to RS that you guys might take an interest in.

I try to keep a variety of food out at any given time, like having a varied menu at a real restaurant. To me, the food is decorative in addition to functional. If I want my restaurant to look great, why wouldn't I want the food in it to look great too?

To this end, I set goals for myself. An example: one week it might be Italian food. I make pizzas, chicken Alfredo, spaghetti, bruschetta, garden salad, and so forth. Another time, I might want to put out comfort food like mac and cheese, tomato soup and apple pie. I could do pub fare like chicken fingers and fish and chips.

Creating menus is fun and it allows me to master items more slowly, making the fun last longer. Sure, I'm cooking items I've already mastered, but who cares?

Anyway, I know everybody plays differently, and I don't mean to suggest that my way is the only way. Just that it might be a fun challenge to set for yourself if you're getting bored.

hippoberry
07-02-11, 06:01 PM
Just a thought, guys. I see a lot of higher-level players who essentially get mastery through blunt force. All grills, all making corn. That sort of thing. So they master quickly and get annoyed that there's nothing to do.

It's understandable, but I take a different approach to RS that you guys might take an interest in.

I try to keep a variety of food out at any given time, like having a varied menu at a real restaurant. To me, the food is decorative in addition to functional. If I want my restaurant to look great, why wouldn't I want the food in it to look great too?

To this end, I set goals for myself. An example: one week it might be Italian food. I make pizzas, chicken Alfredo, spaghetti, bruschetta, garden salad, and so forth. Another time, I might want to put out comfort food like mac and cheese, tomato soup and apple pie. I could do pub fare like chicken fingers and fish and chips.

Creating menus is fun and it allows me to master items more slowly, making the fun last longer. Sure, I'm cooking items I've already mastered, but who cares?

Anyway, I know everybody plays differently, and I don't mean to suggest that my way is the only way. Just that it might be a fun challenge to set for yourself if you're getting bored.

Heck yes, I knew I wasn't the only one that was neurotic (and fun!) enough about keeping things realistic, to do this. Although I can't do Asian night without offending the entire continent of Asia. " Ah yes..tonight we have ... raw oysters and... salmon... Yep, that's it."

greygull
07-02-11, 06:32 PM
I do agree with you, drift. I have limited counters in my place, so I have to wait until they clear to do themes. I know I could probably place more, but I like where they are, and don't want to get rid of the decorations to place them. To each their own! 

driftboutique
07-02-11, 08:47 PM
Heck yes, I knew I wasn't the only one that was neurotic (and fun!) enough about keeping things realistic, to do this. Although I can't do Asian night without offending the entire continent of Asia. " Ah yes..tonight we have ... raw oysters and... salmon... Yep, that's it."

Ha! I'm sort of against adding sushi for this very reason, but I could get behind it if they would do an update with a ton of Asian foods so we could do a pan-Asian menu. Pad Thai, sushi boat, miso soup, basil curry, dumplings, spring rolls... And now I'm hungry.

driftboutique
07-02-11, 08:47 PM
I do agree with you, drift. I have limited counters in my place, so I have to wait until they clear to do themes. I know I could probably place more, but I like where they are, and don't want to get rid of the decorations to place them. To each their own! 

I'll drink to that  cheers! 

jaid666
07-02-11, 09:39 PM
Just a thought, guys. I see a lot of higher-level players who essentially get mastery through blunt force.

lol i'm one of those players though not sure if i count as high level or not yet. I haven't really had much complaint about having "nothing to do" I just enjoy having my counters filled up and being able to master the dishes.

Never really considered actually trying to pick a menu to put together but I do like the idea, thanks for the suggestion!

Mogwai4111
07-02-11, 09:47 PM
I'm one of those guys too, jaid. I don't have the notifications on my particular Android, so I have to try and remember when different items are ready in all the different games I play. I usually put the same food (or at least cooking time) on every appliance to make it easier to remember. Lately I've just been doing 8 hour foods/products for restaurant, city, and zoo and check them all in the morning and again in the evening.

jaid666
07-03-11, 12:08 AM
Good to know I'm not the only one who admits it :cool:

Lol my android has the notifications for restaurant and bakery story, but for some reason I can't get the ones for city to work. I've turned them on and off several times, tried exiting and re-opening the app, but since i installed the cs app, i've never once gotten the notification stuff to work.

Eldin
07-03-11, 08:24 AM
I can agree abit, different time recipes is something we want, and they have manage to fix it really good.
But the Grill is the Grill and does right now seem to have more faster recipes even if it ALSO got all the wanted time recipes ASWELL, JUST MORE FASTER ONES! :)

Keep it up with the updates, great!

driftboutique
07-03-11, 08:45 AM
I'm one of those guys too, jaid. I don't have the notifications on my particular Android, so I have to try and remember when different items are ready in all the different games I play. I usually put the same food (or at least cooking time) on every appliance to make it easier to remember. Lately I've just been doing 8 hour foods/products for restaurant, city, and zoo and check them all in the morning and again in the evening.

Yeah, that's how I have to do my farm because notifications don't work 90% of the time. Ain't nothing wrong with that style of play. Something for everyone :)

That stinks about the notifications, though. I used to play without them and when I turned them on it was life-changing. Then again, I have the memory span of a wheel of Swiss cheese.

Phthon
07-03-11, 09:25 AM
...Then again, I have the memory span of a wheel of Swiss cheese.

Lucky you! My memory is more like cabbage...spoiled cabbage. I usually can't even remember why I am going upstairs halfway there. I have to write a note to take with me! :D

driftboutique
07-03-11, 10:08 AM
Lucky you! My memory is more like cabbage...spoiled cabbage. I usually can't even remember why I am going upstairs halfway there. I have to write a note to take with me! :D

That's why I live in a one-story flat. At least... I think that's why! I have the annoying habit of looking for the laundry in the refrigerator, which as you can imagine leads to unfolded laundry and missing pickles. Plus I never call the cats by the right name anymore. Luckily they have both learned to respond to "Cat! Stop doing that!"

xokay
07-03-11, 12:30 PM
I find it impossible to believe that these people don't have an hour of time in their day to make grill items. You don't need to make the same food item all day. There are varieties of food items on the other appliances that you can cook if you're not satisfied or don't have time during the work week, or wait until you have free time on a weekend or evening after doing housework, homework, putting kids to bed or whatever else takes up your time.

meatballz
07-03-11, 05:20 PM
It's nice that the grill can do most things quick and this may have been the original intention...but I don't think most players are reading intentions online when they purchase them. And since you pay just as much as ovens and stoves, it would be nice if the had about the same number of food choices. I'm with Cake and Pie, and would like to suggest more food choices for the grill, short term and long....Suggestions.....pineapples, barbeque ribs and wings, whole pigs, smoked chicken, hams and turkeys...

jaid666
07-03-11, 08:39 PM
I find it impossible to believe that these people don't have an hour of time in their day to make grill items. You don't need to make the same food item all day. There are varieties of food items on the other appliances that you can cook if you're not satisfied or don't have time during the work week, or wait until you have free time on a weekend or evening after doing housework, homework, putting kids to bed or whatever else takes up your time.

lol problem is this might require an appeal to logic and the possibility of forethought xD

xSnowyOwlx
07-03-11, 09:58 PM

I think it's just because those people like to play it that way (cooking the same thing all the time) instead of cooking various stuff. I just personally wish they would add maybe 2 more items that take 8 hours or more to the grill because having only 2 items right now (for me, haven't gotten the last couple of recipes unlocked) I can only cook those overnight and the 12-hour is fine but the 16 hour recipe sucks because then I have to wait 8 more hours after I get up to use that grill.

cakeandpie
07-04-11, 09:11 AM
lol problem is this might require an appeal to logic and the possibility of forethought xD

It really isn't necessary to insult people who have a different style of play and a different life than you do.

I do have time to make 1 hour recipes occasionally. But because I may only have time once a day, it takes a much longer time to get to the mastery levels of these items, especially if almost all the recipes are 1 hour. Not only that, but I have young children who are almost always needing me for one thing or another, so it can very easily happen that I put on some 1-hour recipes and with one thing or another don't remember until 4 hours later, meaning it has spoiled.

I'm not saying TL shouldn't make any 1 hour recipes. I'm just begging for some variety because not everyone has the same life or plays the same way.

geniaaL2
07-04-11, 12:15 PM
i have mastered all my grill foods. and 5 of them are 1hour foods, therefore i will probably NEVER EVER cook 4 of them again cause the only difference now between them is the name and the picture. example:
Gourmet Hot Dog: cost: 350 income: 1100
Shrimp Kabobs.....cost: 350 income: 1100
wow the only difference is the amount of meals one gives 275 meals with 4coins per meal sold and the other one 550 with 2 coins.... wtf?? WHY?
and BESIDE that... the mushroms and grilled corn have more profit per hour/minute... so hot dog and shimps will never get cooked by ME again. you get what i mean?