PDA

View Full Version : Drink Machine and Ice Cream Machine for Android??

Momofenvy
06-28-11, 07:38 PM
I've only been on Restaurant and Bakery Story for about a week so I'm still learning..... I just received the message about the new machines but they are not available on my tabs. However, my son has an iphone and after updating, he has the new machines.

Will Android phones ever have this feature?????

Airzound
06-28-11, 11:29 PM
Showing a teaser screen every time the game starts for something we can't get is incredibly frustrating.

Please don't make Android users continue to be second class citizens.

KIALea
06-28-11, 11:45 PM
Still dont have build ovens on android and can't send materials despite message to send neighbors materials!

Why bring out more new stuff when we can't even join in the first lot of new stuff?

Just adds salt to the wound!!!!

xSnowyOwlx
06-28-11, 11:54 PM
There's apparently a big time difference on the Android software that makes this feature impossible to do at the moment but I hope that popup goes away tomorrow because I'm guessing I'll be loosing a lot more neighbors soon because I already know over half of them are on Droids (hence they can't send me materials) and that's not going to be fun. At least 2 people on Facebook have quit.

Mogwai4111
06-29-11, 12:59 AM
There's apparently a big time difference on the Android software that makes this feature impossible to do at the moment

Can you provide a link to where you read this? I'd like to read it too, thanks

HouseDV
06-29-11, 01:30 AM
Teamlava doesn't care about android users.... Getting Pop-ups of new items and then again its only for Iphone/ipad users...
Easy stove???? were is it???
Drink machine??? were is it???

Good job teamlava!

swiep07
06-29-11, 01:40 AM
I want the icecream machine too! :(

GroupMagma
06-29-11, 10:20 AM
These features aren't available for Android users yet, though the notification shouldn't be displayed; I'll see if we can get that removed.

coatimom
06-29-11, 10:29 AM
I too find it frustrating that we can't get the new machines, and that we get the pop-ups that say we can! But I find it even more frustrating that I constantly get pop-ups that tell me to help my neighbors now because they are requesting materials from me, yet the actual requests don't show up anywhere! I have had a few neighbors right on my wall directly wondering why I haven't helped them, then I explain I have an android. But I'm sure some have just deleted me. I wish there was a way to make it so they cannot request your help if you do not have the capability, because not everyone reads these forums and knows there is an issue with android.

greygull
06-29-11, 10:54 AM
I too find it frustrating that we can't get the new machines, and that we get the pop-ups that say we can! But I find it even more frustrating that I constantly get pop-ups that tell me to help my neighbors now because they are requesting materials from me, yet the actual requests don't show up anywhere! I have had a few neighbors right on my wall directly wondering why I haven't helped them, then I explain I have an android. But I'm sure some have just deleted me. I wish there was a way to make it so they cannot request your help if you do not have the capability, because not everyone reads these forums and knows there is an issue with android.

I have posted on my own wall that I can't help with parts. Since my Android is a second game, I only have a few neighbors there, and they all understand. And I agree that there should be some way for them to not even request from Android users.

xSnowyOwlx
06-29-11, 10:59 AM
These features aren't available for Android users yet, though the notification shouldn't be displayed; I'll see if we can get that removed.

Do you know when they will be? I know some people are quitting the game because of this.

Mogwai4111
06-29-11, 11:22 AM
There's apparently a big time difference on the Android software that makes this feature impossible to do at the moment

Can you provide a link to where you read this? I'd like to read it too, thanks

Momofenvy
06-29-11, 11:25 AM

After reading about all the upset and disappointed Android users, I'm just wondering why the new machines were made "constructable" when it was already a known fact that "constructable" appliances were not compatible for all your users. Wouldn't it have been easier and more respectful to just create a "built" appliance that all your paying users could purchase and not have discriminated against the other half of your user base? What is the advantage of creating a new and exciting feature that only some of your users can enjoy when all you would have had to do was create them for all and eliminate the "constructing" piece........just don't get the concept.

hippoberry
06-29-11, 01:04 PM
After reading about all the upset and disappointed Android users, I'm just wondering why the new machines were made "constructable" when it was already a known fact that "constructable" appliances were not compatible for all your users. Wouldn't it have been easier and more respectful to just create a "built" appliance that all your paying users could purchase and not have discriminated against the other half of your user base? What is the advantage of creating a new and exciting feature that only some of your users can enjoy when all you would have had to do was create them for all and eliminate the "constructing" piece........just don't get the concept.

I don't get the concept of knowing people spent time and labor to make a more socially interactive item and then complaining about it, and why it could be done 'better'.

hippoberry
06-29-11, 01:06 PM
Honestly, if people quit the game over not getting updates as fast as another phone company, their anger is truly misplaced.

guiltfree
06-29-11, 01:32 PM
With the easy appliance they were just upgrades of current appliances and even though that might make some customers frustrated we all have access to the same recipes, however I do have an issue with a new appliance (ice cream machine and drink machine) being offered to one format and not all formats. Not only does that leave an entire market out of something new and exciting it also causes empty spots when we visit the other players. I can see the upgraded appliances only available to supported systems but to launch a brand new (not upgraded) product that is not available to all your customers is a bit short sighted. I love B/S and R/S and will not quit because of it however in the future I hope that team lava will keep that in mind when launching a new product they should make available to all players. I have a droid and used to have the Iphone and my preference is the droid so i will live without the constructable appliances but I really do not like not getting something that will allow me new recipes and the chance to earn more gems. On a positive note I love all the updates and the candy jar stuff is awesome keep up the good work in that area!!!!!

driftboutique
06-29-11, 01:40 PM
I think the real conspiracy is gainst the Windows Phone 7 users. They don't have any ovens at all!

/kidding

Mogwai4111
06-29-11, 01:44 PM
I think the real conspiracy is gainst the Windows Phone 7 users. They don't have any ovens at all!

/kidding

Out of sight, out of mind. It's the best way sometimes.

driftboutique
06-29-11, 01:47 PM
Out of sight, out of mind. It's the best way sometimes.

There's a Windows Phone 7 in my very home! THE CALL IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE.

Because all those phones do is make calls.

Momofenvy
06-29-11, 01:48 PM
I don't get the concept of knowing people spent time and labor to make a more socially interactive item and then complaining about it, and why it could be done 'better'.

With all due respect, I am not complaining about making a "more socially interactive item". I think it is absolutely awesome that the creators are investing their time and labor in keeping the game new and exciting. What I said was that the needs of ALL the users were overlooked when the new appliances where created. A simple ice cream machine or drink machine would have satisfied ALL users and made it exciting for ALL, but making "constructable" appliances only makes the "more socially interactive item" available to apple users.

Mogwai4111
06-29-11, 02:08 PM
With all due respect, I am not complaining about making a "more socially interactive item". I think it is absolutely awesome that the creators are investing their time and labor in keeping the game new and exciting. What I said was that the needs of ALL the users were overlooked when the new appliances where created. A simple ice cream machine or drink machine would have satisfied ALL users and made it exciting for ALL, but making "constructable" appliances only makes the "more socially interactive item" available to apple users.

The contstructable appliances will come around to Android eventually, I have no doubt about that. Just like Farm did, then RS/BS, and recently CS and Fashion. Sure, it can be tough on us Androids having to wait for the new features to be made available, but that's just the breaks. The iDevice and Android stories are two different games, two different coding languages, no doubt TL is more annoyed by having to release these new features one platform at a time than any of us but at least they've provided us Androids with a game in the first place. iDevice is a bigger market right now, so new stuff is developed for them first (they're the beta testers for Android users as I like to call it) but we'll get the new stuff eventually, refined versions even (no bouncing stars or gem sale pop-ups every 5 minutes) ;)

Momofenvy
06-29-11, 02:12 PM
The contstructable appliances will come around to Android eventually, I have no doubt about that. Just like Farm did, then RS/BS, and recently CS and Fashion. Sure, it can be tough on us Androids having to wait for the new features to be made available, but that's just the breaks. The iDevice and Android stories are two different games, two different coding languages, no doubt TL is more annoyed by having to release these new features one platform at a time than any of us but at least they've provided us Androids with a game in the first place. iDevice is a bigger market right now, so new stuff is developed for them first (they're the beta testers for Android users as I like to call it) but we'll get the new stuff eventually, refined versions even (no bouncing stars or gem sale pop-ups every 5 minutes) ;)

Thank you for your intelligent and courteous response. Very much appreciated!

Rachael98
06-29-11, 02:23 PM
Optimism at it's best Mog:D
Anyway, I agree that Android will probably get it at some point. Of people quit, that is quite clearly their loss. If it was a matter of Normal=All users and Constructable=iDevice only, then it might have been an idea to release one of each.
I can't really shed more light on it. Yet. But I'll try my best;).

hippoberry
06-29-11, 02:23 PM

And I also have to add on top of what was explained above - I would actually be more satisfied with spending the time putting together the ice cream machine, drink machine and making drinks afterwards rather than instant gratification. The ovens and etc are nice and all, but this is a nice change up.

Rachael98
06-29-11, 02:25 PM
And I also have to add on top of what was explained above - I would actually be more satisfied with spending the time putting together the ice cream machine, drink machine and making drinks afterwards rather than instant gratification. The ovens and etc are nice and all, but this is a nice change up.

Yes, I would think that it is. Except for Droids. I suppose it's not the end of the world. Is it? Anyway, I'm surviving so it must be bearable.

twompy
06-29-11, 02:32 PM
I think most iDevice people are missing the point. Ive gotten over constructable appliances, but what i am very displeased about is that these NEW appliances are bringing forth NEW foods!! and IMO TL knows that they are working with 2 different OS's sooooo why not just wait until they have it set for BOTH OS's to release these drastic updates. am i going to quit playing over this.. i doubt it.. but at the same time, will i be so quick to tell my friends that have Androids to get the game probably not.. specially when they know that iDevices are getting all the good stuff while we continue to get the hand me downs...

sincerly "the Red Head Step Child"

driftboutique
06-29-11, 02:34 PM

I agree. If the appliances could be bought outright, there would be a sudden flood of them mong higher-level users. True, they can be bought with gems, but it's pretty prohibitively expensive to just get an entire wall of them at once.

driftboutique
06-29-11, 02:37 PM
I think most iDevice people are missing the point. Ive gotten over constructable appliances, but what i am very displeased about is that these NEW appliances are bringing forth NEW foods!! and IMO TL knows that they are working with 2 different OS's sooooo why not just wait until they have it set for BOTH OS's to release these drastic updates. am i going to quit playing over this.. i doubt it.. but at the same time, will i be so quick to tell my friends that have Androids to get the game probably not.. specially when they know that iDevices are getting all the good stuff while we continue to get the hand me downs...

If it's that important to you to get games and content when they're first released, why choose an Android device? TL is hardly the only company to release for iOS first and Android second. It's how the system works.

Rachael98
06-29-11, 02:41 PM
If it's that important to you to get games and content when they're first released, why choose an Android device? TL is hardly the only company to release for iOS first and Android second. It's how the system works.

Fair enough. Obviously though, just an iDevice for gaming is a big spend. If Android is/was more practical at the time, then that's perhaps why.

Mogwai4111
06-29-11, 02:43 PM

This is a good question. It was a business decision, TL decided it'd be better to satisfy the iDevice users ASAP rather than develop both and then send both out at a later date. I can't say whether it was a good decision or not, judging by the backlash on these forums it might not have been, especially since they advertised the new appliances to Android users which was a huge goof, but that's how markets work. Businesses make their decisions, consumers decide whether to support them or take their time and money elsewhere.

Rachael98
06-29-11, 02:47 PM
This is a good question. It was a business decision, TL decided it'd be better to satisfy the iDevice users ASAP rather than develop both and then send both out at a later date. I can't say whether it was a good decision or not, judging by the backlash on these forums it might not have been, especially since they advertised the new appliances to Android users which was a huge goof, but that's how markets work. Businesses make their decisions, consumers decide whether to support them or take their time and money elsewhere.

Advertising to Android was a technical mistake. As you said though, Android will hopefully get them at sone point. The forum
backlash is a shame; I'd assume that TL put in a fair few hours putting these together for iDevices, let alone Android. Maybe, to satisfy Droid users, their next thing like this should be aimed at them first.

filo66
06-29-11, 02:52 PM
iDevice is a bigger market right now

No it isn't (http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/consumer/android-leads-u-s-in-smartphone-market-share-and-data-usage/).

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/smartphone-market-share.jpg

Now it may be that TeamLava is making more from iphone users than from Android users but that's because they are pushing iphone and not Android; they have many more games for ios and more features in the games that they've cross-platformed.

But that's their call. They run a business and get to make whatever business decisions they think are right.

As an Android user I disagree with those decisions... especially when the new/extra content given to the ios folks gives them an unfair advantage.

hippoberry
06-29-11, 02:56 PM

So what you're saying is - you'd rather both iPhone and Android users be update-less, that way, you won't notice if someone else has virtual icecream and you don't. This whole thing sounds like it stems from the deep rooted iPhone and Android rivalry. Maybe I'm reading this wrong.

Or maybe I'm not , because I've only heard phrases like "hand me down" used when younger brother doesn't want that yucky thing that older brother touched and used.

driftboutique
06-29-11, 02:57 PM
No it isn't (http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/consumer/android-leads-u-s-in-smartphone-market-share-and-data-usage/).

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/smartphone-market-share.jpg

Now it may be that TeamLava is making more from iphone users than from Android users but that's because they are pushing iphone and not Android; they have many more games for ios and more features in the games that they've cross-platformed.

But that's their call. They run a business and get to make whatever business decisions they think are right.

As an Android user I disagree with those decisions... especially when the new/extra content given to the ios folks gives them an unfair advantage.

This does not reflect usage of iOS devices that aren't smartphones -- iPod Touch and iPad combined with iPhone is a significantly bigger market than Android phones and tablets combined.

twompy
06-29-11, 03:00 PM

im well aware of the fact that most APPS are made for iDevices before they are made for Androids, but can you tell me how many there are that are cross platform??? And from those apps can you tell me how many of them boost that they have weekly updates?? all I am stating is that if you have jumped into the arena of marketing your APPS for both devices it should be able to opperate as close to seamlessly on both OS's as possible.. (ie Words With Friends)

hippoberry
06-29-11, 03:03 PM

It's true that Android has started to overcome Apple, but you have to remember Teamlava started out on iPhones. Even if more players were actually on Android instead of iphones, which I still doubt atm, there's no denying that it's easier to add updates to an OS that you built the game in and are use to as opposed to one that you are not.

Also, you speak of an unfair advantage. An unfair advantage towards what ? What exactly are we competing for here ??

driftboutique
06-29-11, 03:03 PM
im well aware of the fact that most APPS are made for iDevices before they are made for Androids, but can you tell me how many there are that are cross platform??? And from those apps can you tell me how many of them boost that they have weekly updates?? all I am stating is that if you have jumped into the arena of marketing your APPS for both devices it should be able to opperate as close to seamlessly on both OS's as possible.. (ie Words With Friends)

I don't understand what this reply has to do with my comment.

filo66
06-29-11, 03:05 PM
This does not reflect usage of iOS devices that aren't smartphones -- iPod Touch and iPad combined with iPhone is a significantly bigger market than Android phones and tablets combined.

Perhaps, but only for the moment...

twompy
06-29-11, 03:07 PM
So what you're saying is - you'd rather both iPhone and Android users be update-less, that way, you won't notice if someone else has virtual icecream and you don't. This whole thing sounds like it stems from the deep rooted iPhone and Android rivalry. Maybe I'm reading this wrong.

Or maybe I'm not , because I've only heard phrases like "hand me down" used when younger brother doesn't want that yucky thing that older brother touched and used.

it is how i stated it.. take for instant how new map packs for COD come out for XBox before they are released to PS3.. the difference between THAT and THIS is that with COD you know that those updates will come to PS3... with TL they dont have any idea if ever these appliances or recipes will be available for Android devices. So what im saying is that as a whole if your going to market these games for both plattforms they should be as equal as possible.

twompy
06-29-11, 03:09 PM
I don't understand what this reply has to do with my comment.

its in reply to the second sentence in your comment.

Rachael98
06-29-11, 03:09 PM

Actually, they originally went for iDevice only.

Do you see any value in spreading your wings beyond the iPhone? What are the chances we’ll see TeamLava’s games on competing platforms like Android, or even on a social network like Facebook?
These are certainly platforms we are considering but for the time being we're very happy with our position on the iOS platform. The future is very bright for TeamLava on every platform and device that we support with our top-quality games.
http://www.gamezebo.com/news/2010/10/28/everything-your-pocket-going-social-interview-teamlava

filo66
06-29-11, 03:11 PM
It's true that Android has started to overcome Apple, but you have to remember Teamlava started out on iPhones. Even if more players were actually on Android instead of iphones, which I still doubt atm, there's no denying that it's easier to add updates to an OS that you built the game in and are use to as opposed to one that you are not.

That's not necessarily the case. It's all dependant on the development environment, the code base and the team that's working in it. If the majority of their staff are ios or if Android is actually harder to develop for (I doubt it) or if the Android code is poorer then, yes, they will be slower to catch up with Android. But that's all part of the business decision to relegate Android to second class...

Also, you speak of an unfair advantage. An unfair advantage towards what ? What exactly are we competing for here ??

Uh, good question. Lemme get back to you on that... [;)]

driftboutique
06-29-11, 03:13 PM
its in reply to the second sentence in your comment.

Still not seeing it. I think your xbox to PS3 analogy is a good one, actually. Because it's not true that you always know that game content will eventually be released for PS3 as well. You have to take it as it comes.

driftboutique
06-29-11, 03:16 PM
if Android is actually harder to develop for (I doubt it)

It is, actually. Why do you doubt it?

Also... You really see Android tablets overtaking iPad? Really? Be honest.

Mogwai4111
06-29-11, 03:18 PM
it is how i stated it.. take for instant how new map packs for COD come out for XBox before they are released to PS3.. the difference between THAT and THIS is that with COD you know that those updates will come to PS3... with TL they dont have any idea if ever these appliances or recipes will be available for Android devices. So what im saying is that as a whole if your going to market these games for both plattforms they should be as equal as possible.

This is a good point. I'm going on faith, precedent, and what makes sense to me when I say that these constructable appliances will eventually be made for the Android, but I could be wrong. All we really know is that "these features are not available for Android at this time".

Rachael98
06-29-11, 03:21 PM
This is a good point. I'm going on faith, precedent, and what makes sense to me when I say that these constructable appliances will eventually be made for the Android, but I could be wrong. All we really know is that "these features are not available for Android at this time".

And that's annoying but not something that you can rectify (unless someone fancies making up the correct code for TL? Takers:p?)

hippoberry
06-29-11, 03:21 PM
[QUOTE=filo66;84850]That's not necessarily the case. It's all dependant on the development environment, the code base and the team that's working in it. If the majority of their staff are ios or if Android is actually harder to develop for (I doubt it) or if the Android code is poorer then, yes, they will be slower to catch up with Android. But that's all part of the business decision to relegate Android to second class...

Yes, but if you understand that than you should understand that Android started OUT second class. I honestly believe that upgrading Android to the same degree of iPhone takes alot of time. They have to research gather the data that proves it, run it through god knows how any people, approve it, develop a team, a program and the facilities for it, start accepting applications, the whole miserable hiring process ( 'we'll call you back in a coupl weeks' sound familiar to you ?), the decisions of who to hire, and actually hiring, the training, etc etc. All of this, for an vastly unpredictable market where Apple could come out with a iPhoneWhatever this second and retake the market again, within the next month.

I believe the right action here for Android users is NOT, as some others put it, to quit and never come back because they feel disrespected and spurned. If Android users want a bigger slice of the pie - they should actually try to stay around to eat it.

Rachael98
06-29-11, 03:26 PM
That's not necessarily the case. It's all dependant on the development environment, the code base and the team that's working in it. If the majority of their staff are ios or if Android is actually harder to develop for (I doubt it) or if the Android code is poorer then, yes, they will be slower to catch up with Android. But that's all part of the business decision to relegate Android to second class...[EDIT R98: insert BB QUOTE]

Yes, but if you understand that than you should understand that Android started OUT second class. I honestly believe that upgrading Android to the same degree of iPhone takes alot of time. They have to research gather the data that proves it, run it through god knows how any people, approve it, develop a team, a program and the facilities for it, start accepting applications, the whole miserable hiring process ( 'we'll call you back in a coupl weeks' sound familiar to you ?), the decisions of who to hire, and actually hiring, the training, etc etc. All of this, for an vastly unpredictable market where Apple could come out with a iPhoneWhatever this second and retake the market again, within the next month.

I believe the right action here for Android users is NOT, as some others put it, to quit and never come back because they feel disrespected and spurned. If Android users want a bigger slice of the pie - they should actually try to stay around to eat it.

Very nicely put. But deliberately to make me hungry again. Cherry pie, apple p---:rolleyes::eek::p

driftboutique
06-29-11, 03:27 PM
If Android users want a bigger slice of the pie - they should actually try to stay around to eat it.

What flavor pie are we talking about? Is it cherry? I like cherry.

driftboutique
06-29-11, 03:27 PM
Very nicely put. But deliberately to make me hungry again. Cherry pie, apple p---:rolleyes::eek::p

Ha! Great minds ;)

Rachael98
06-29-11, 03:29 PM
Ha! Great minds ;)

Lol:p. I think Cherry Pie. But I have some freshly harvested apple from my farm...no, wait!
Who has a functioning Bakery? Lemon Meringue Pie. Also using fresh crops from my farm:D.

twompy
06-29-11, 03:32 PM

why not sweet potato?? lol

driftboutique
06-29-11, 03:32 PM
why not sweet potato?? lol

Spoken like an Android user ;)

hippoberry
06-29-11, 03:34 PM
If I read the posts above me correctly, I think my job here is done. :P

I'm with drift, cherry pie baby. Its not thanksgivingish enough, for a heavy sweet potato pie. Although, imagine that sultry cinnamon scent wafting through the air...

driftboutique
06-29-11, 03:35 PM
Lol:p. I think Cherry Pie. But I have some freshly harvested apple from my farm...no, wait!
Who has a functioning Bakery? Lemon Meringue Pie. Also using fresh crops from my farm:D.

Ooooh, they should add vanilla beans to farm. Then we could use them to make vanilla ice cream in our bakeries. Homemade pie a la mode, anyone?

I will say, the only sad thing about the whole ice cream machine -- er, aside from the obvious -- is that this probably means no chance of TL releasing Ice Cream Story down the line. That was my favorite idea :(

filo66
06-29-11, 03:36 PM
It is, actually. Why do you doubt it?

Because there isn't anything particularly special about the Apple OS environment that would make it easier (or harder) to develop for.

Admittedly I am not a mobile apps developer (I do desktop software) so I registered my opinion as opposed to stating anything outright, but the only thing I've seen so far that makes ios more suited than Android to the features used in these games is the integrated screen capture.

Maybe Google did a poor job of creating their development tools. I still doubt it...

Also... You really see Android tablets overtaking iPad? Really? Be honest.

Absolutely.

The iPad is nice, to be sure, but they are overpriced and there is only one company developing them. Just like Android phones (designed and manufactured by a half-dozen or more different companies) quickly overtook overpriced and single-source iPhones I can see Android tablets taking over that market as well.

Apple lost the PC market the same way. When the Mac came out in 1984 they led the field in GUI PCs and they had dominated desktops overall with the Apple ][ line. A few short years later the competition nearly wiped them out with a huge variety of machines running a similar operating system and cheaper hardware which undercut their market.

And, by the way, nobody has yet convinced me that the Tablet market is even viable long-term. It could be, but right now it seems like a niche/toy market with no real application. I'd personally rather have a small laptop than a tablet in the same price and size range.

Rachael98
06-29-11, 03:37 PM
Ooooh, they should add vanilla beans to farm. Then we could use them to make banill ice cream in our bakeries. Homemade pie a la mode, anyone?

I will say, the only sad thing about the whole ice cream machine -- er, aside from the obvious -- is that this probably means no chance of TL releasing Ice Cream Story down the line. That was my favorite idea :(

I want Bakery:mad:!
I don't like SPotato though. But vanilla would be nice. We've also now got a Creme Egg Ice Cream released in Britain; that's delicious:p. Released in the US yet?

Rachael98
06-29-11, 03:40 PM
Because there isn't anything particularly special about the Apple OS environment that would make it easier (or harder) to develop for.

Admittedly I am not a mobile apps developer (I do desktop software) so I registered my opinion as opposed to stating anything outright, but the only thing I've seen so far that makes ios more suited than Android to the features used in these games is the integrated screen capture.

Maybe Google did a poor job of creating their development tools. I still doubt it...

Absolutely.

The iPad is nice, to be sure, but they are overpriced and there is only one company developing them. Just like Android phones (designed and manufactured by a half-dozen or more different companies) quickly overtook overpriced and single-source iPhones I can see Android tablets taking over that market as well.

Apple lost the PC market the same way. When the Mac came out in 1984 they led the field in GUI PCs and they had dominated desktops overall with the Apple ][ line. A few short years later the competition nearly wiped them out with a huge variety of machines running a similar operating system and cheaper hardware which undercut their market.

And, by the way, nobody has yet convinced me that the Tablet market is even viable long-term. It could be, but right now it seems like a niche/toy market with no real application. I'd personally rather have a small laptop than a tablet in the same price and size range.

Then get a laptop.
I'm not a mobile developer either, but TL haven't released on Android yet, their decision. We can't change that. If they favour Apple to Android, that's tough. This is now turning into a discussion about whether Android or iOS is better. Not TL.

Mogwai4111
06-29-11, 03:47 PM

Rhubarb is best, or so I'm told. I am strictly a cake eater.

driftboutique
06-29-11, 03:47 PM

Absolutely.

First of all, Android's market share is larger than iOS' but not significantly. Yes, Android is forecast to continue growing in market share but Apple has consistently defied expectations since the release of the first iPod.

Secondly, iOS is far more entrenched than than any Apple desktop OS ever was.

Thirdly, the reason Android is so much more complicated to develop for is that Google doesn't have anything like the hardware control that Apple has over iOS devices. They don't even have the software control -- Android phones have been released running obsolete versions of the OS.

Last, while I'm sure that the Google SDK is fine, you have to admit that guiding developers is something Apple does exceptionally well.

driftboutique
06-29-11, 03:49 PM
Rhubarb is best, or so I'm told. I am strictly a cake eater.

Well, cake is inherently superior to pie. So I'm with you there.

Rachael98
06-29-11, 03:55 PM
Well, cake is inherently superior to pie. So I'm with you there.

Ooh...I like cake. But I grow Apple's, plums, rhubarb, gooseberries, blackcurrents, strawberries and herbs and help grow beetroots, peas, beans, marrows, more Apple's etc. etc. More go in pie (or crumble; near enough) so I'm used to it more. But I love lemon (yes, I'd suck a lemon rind). So, I'd be torn between meringue pie and drizzle cake.

driftboutique
06-29-11, 03:58 PM
Ooh...I like cake. But I grow Apple's, plums, rhubarb, gooseberries, blackcurrents, strawberries and herbs and help grow beetroots, peas, beans, marrows, more Apple's etc. etc. More go in pie (or crumble; near enough) so I'm used to it more. But I love lemon (yes, I'd suck a lemon rind). So, I'd be torn between meringue pie and drizzle cake.

I do love lemon cake with raspberry filling. Mmm... That would be an excellent addition to Bakery Story. It's so pretty too!

Rachael98
06-29-11, 04:00 PM
I do love lemon cake with raspberry filling. Mmm... That would be an excellent addition to Bakery Story. It's so pretty too!

Put it on FmS. Then I'd get it too.
I had a chocolate, cream and radiated cake today. Then I felt ill:(. Too much cream. It doesn't agree with me.

Mogwai4111
06-29-11, 04:02 PM
I had a chocolate, cream and radiated cake today. Then I felt ill:(. Too much cream. It doesn't agree with me.

Radiated? Were you playing Fallout 3?

driftboutique
06-29-11, 04:02 PM

I'm sorry :( send me the leftovers, that way I can rescue you from them

driftboutique
06-29-11, 04:03 PM
Radiated? Were you playing Fallout 3?

Look, it has chocolate and cream in it, let's not quibble about what kind of poisons it has and hasn't got.

Rachael98
06-29-11, 04:05 PM
Autocorrect:p! Raspberries! Radiate...? :confused:

Rachael98
06-29-11, 04:06 PM
Actually, maybe those aliens returned and poisoned moe cake!!!!

Anyway, I'll send you the leftovers. But as someone else ate what I decided not to even try to eat, there isn't much.

hippoberry
06-29-11, 04:14 PM
Actually made strawberry rhubarb pie, earlier this week:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/BerryNoire/IMG_20110609_113349.jpg

Convert, Mogs ! It wont be so bad ~

Rachael98
06-29-11, 04:16 PM

Gimme one of them. My stomach is actually rumbling looking at them...

Mogwai4111
06-29-11, 04:25 PM

That looks delicious, now I'm gonna have to stop at the store and get a cheesecake on the way home :rolleyes:

Rachael98
06-29-11, 04:28 PM
That looks delicious, now I'm gonna have to stop at the store and get a cheesecake on the way home :rolleyes:

Stop---making---me---hungry! How would you like it if I made you feel hungry at half past midnight?

hippoberry
06-29-11, 04:37 PM

A cheesecake ?! A cheesecake could never emulate the buttery flakiness of the pie crust, nestled next to the juicy sweet strawberry and tangy rhubarb on your spoon ! The s- ah, sorry Rachel. :rolleyes:

Um. So much sugar and butter is really bad for cholesterol. Heartburn might be involved too.

Mogwai4111
06-29-11, 04:40 PM
Stop---making---me---hungry! How would you like it if I made you feel hungry at half past midnight?

Lately I sleep in the evening so I can watch Wimbledon (this little tennis tournament you might have heard of) at 3am so be my guest.

Murray looks good so far. Maybe the drought is finally over??

filo66
06-29-11, 07:33 PM
First of all, Android's market share is larger than iOS' but not significantly. Yes, Android is forecast to continue growing in market share but Apple has consistently defied expectations since the release of the first iPod.
Somewhat. But at this point that means that Apple will lose less market share, not grow substantially.

Secondly, iOS is far more entrenched than than any Apple desktop OS ever was.
Well, since DOS 3.3, maybe... :)

Thirdly, the reason Android is so much more complicated to develop for is that Google doesn't have anything like the hardware control that Apple has over iOS devices. They don't even have the software control -- Android phones have been released running obsolete versions of the OS.
True.

Last, while I'm sure that the Google SDK is fine, you have to admit that guiding developers is something Apple does exceptionally well.

They do a fairly good job of evangelizing but so does Google... I'd hate to see it devolve into a shooting war, though, as I live and work right near both campuses... :P