PDA

View Full Version : Play to pay

forsolace
06-12-11, 11:18 PM
You released so many new items for the club and that is appreciated, especially the steam punk. The concern is that almost all but one can only be bought by club cash. You are turning what was a fun game into nothing more than a pay to play game. There are more items we need to spend real money than ones we can earn by playing. Loyalty to the game should be as or more rewarded than the money you can squeeze out of those few who feel the need to buy club cash to get the new items.

Mogwai4111
06-12-11, 11:31 PM
Loyalty to the game should be as or more rewarded than the money you can squeeze out of those few who feel the need to buy club cash to get the new items.

I just told my cable conpany that I would be their most loyal customer ever if they would stop charging me for their service. Told McDonald's the same for a free hamburger.

Seems loyalty isn't as rewarding to them as money :( I wish you were right though, if that means anything to you

sophiacml
06-12-11, 11:58 PM
The way I see it is up to you whether you want to spend cash on the games. TL doesn't force any players to pay to play. The only thing is without doubt is that their games is very addictive & manipulative that cause players to pay to play.

forsolace
06-13-11, 08:24 AM
When the majority of the items in a "free" game are not free, it's pay to play. Comparing this to McDonalds is ridiculous, it's not in the same thing. I can make strange comparisons to make a point too. Unbuntu OS is free. When you want to enhance it, they do not charge for every icon you want. They keep it free. That comparison makes more sense than McDonalds. I say charge for the game, then let us play or have a few key, desirable items be paid ones but keep the majority free. Or call it ClubStory Demo. Then charge $100 for the full version and see how many they sell. They won't because you can nickle and dime kids that way. It's just my opinion on this game. I love City Story, it's fun, mostly free, and with cool paid items. This game is the opposite of that.

Mogwai4111
06-13-11, 08:31 AM
I'm not comparing this game to McDonald's, not sure where you got that from?

You said customer loyalty should be more important to a business than profit. I was just pointing out that I asked McDonald's if they agree with that and they said "no".

forsolace
06-13-11, 10:22 AM
But even Ronald knows to keep his profits based on loyal customers not on gouging them. That's why a mcburger is not $12.99. The prices on this game would be like going to McD and paying for your food, then pay extra for the ability to sit, the napkins, cups, decorations, etc. Paying $24.99 for one happy meal is just as absurd.

Mogwai4111
06-13-11, 10:49 AM
I agree, that would be absurd. Again, I am not comparing this game to McDonald's, I'm just saying that customer loyalty is a means to an end, not the ultimate goal. Player's feedback, and more importantly, their actions will dictate the direction TL goes in. If people stop buying gems in NCS, or stop playing all together, things will change, simple as that.

I pretty much agree with exactly what Sophia said, minus the manipulative part.

driftboutique
06-13-11, 10:58 AM
It's called "freemium." you don't have to like it, but TeamLava has never pretended that they are running a charity.

xSnowyOwlx
06-13-11, 11:43 AM
Personally, I do like the gem items but I can design my games without them.
Right now I am saving up gems that I earn in Fashion Story to buy a second door but the way it works right now I don't need it right away.
Only some of my floor tiles are purchased with gems and I only buy gems in Fashion Story but I've only bought them once and that was when they were 40% off. I have another game that I payed for special currency in and right now it's not in the App Store and the developers are refusing to respond to my emails even for the games of theirs that are still in the App Store.
That's why I won't buy gems in the other games and not in Fashion anymore unless I end up with a whole bunch of spare money: you never know when a game is going to disappear and the developers refuse to respond.

xSnowyOwlx
06-13-11, 11:48 AM
Here is what I do think is unfair: we hardly ever earn any gems. Sure, we get 1 gem for mastery level 2 but so what? I don't care at all for getting extra coins, I'd like it to be 1 gem for mastery level 1, 2 for level 2 and so on.
I also don't see why we can't just earn some gems each time we level up. Say, after reaching level 10 players earn 1 gem each level and at level 20 they earn 2 gems for each level and so on.

Another great idea was implemented by the developers of that game I mentioned in my last reply that they still have some games open and it is a daily spin-to-win with an extra free jackpot spin if you spin for 4 days in a row. Each daily spin is free and we can earn coins, the special game currency or a combination of the 2 and the jackpot spin costs the special game currency except when you've spun for 4 days in a row the daily spins and the jackpot spin you can get a special prize. I got one of the items that costs the special game currency with my first jackpot spin and I'll see what I'll get today.
So, instead of always just getting coins I think that would be so cool in these games as well.

sissy8
06-13-11, 01:49 PM
only the sun is for free;)

Rachael98
06-13-11, 02:08 PM
Right now I am saving up gems that I earn in Fashion Story to buy a second door but the way it works right now I don't need it right away.
Only some of my floor tiles are purchased with gems and I only buy gems in Fashion Story but I've only bought them once and that was when they were 40% off. I have another game that I payed for special currency in and right now it's not in the App Store and the developers are refusing to respond to my emails even for the games of theirs that are still in the App Store.
That's why I won't buy gems in the other games and not in Fashion anymore unless I end up with a whole bunch of spare money: you never know when a game is going to disappear and the developers refuse to respond.

To be perfectly honest, I think the chances that TeamLava go out of business right now are pretty slim:cool:

Here is what I do think is unfair: we hardly ever earn any gems. Sure, we get 1 gem for mastery level 2 but so what? I don't care at all for getting extra coins, I'd like it to be 1 gem for mastery level 1, 2 for level 2 and so on.
I also don't see why we can't just earn some gems each time we level up. Say, after reaching level 10 players earn 1 gem each level and at level 20 they earn 2 gems for each level and so on.

Another great idea was implemented by the developers of that game I mentioned in my last reply that they still have some games open and it is a daily spin-to-win with an extra free jackpot spin if you spin for 4 days in a row. Each daily spin is free and we can earn coins, the special game currency or a combination of the 2 and the jackpot spin costs the special game currency except when you've spun for 4 days in a row the daily spins and the jackpot spin you can get a special prize. I got one of the items that costs the special game currency with my first jackpot spin and I'll see what I'll get today.
So, instead of always just getting coins I think that would be so cool in these games as well.

If we earned that many gems, TL may well go out of business! That would be 10 gems per item with mastery (of which there are quite a few) ultimately and with another chance to win, that would just be the final straw; why spend money on things you can get that easily for free?

xSnowyOwlx
06-13-11, 02:52 PM
I don't see them going out of business at all that way and I don't see how it is easy when it takes so long to master. Who would make a boat-load of gems off of getting 10 gems every 3 months or more for mastering each item (yes, it's taken me a long time to hit mastery level 4 in those that I have.
I've also only gotten 1 special currency in that game I mentioned from a daily spin so they won't go out of business, it would just let us earn some more.
Honestly, I'd still buy gems each time I have money.

Rachael98
06-13-11, 02:57 PM

I don't see them going out of business at all that way and I don't see how it is easy when it takes so long to master. Who would make a boat-load of gems off of getting 10 gems every 3 months or more for mastering each item (yes, it's taken me a long time to hit mastery level 4 in those that I have.
I've also only gotten 1 special currency in that game I mentioned from a daily spin so they won't go out of business, it would just let us earn some more.
Honestly, I'd still buy gems each time I have money.

I don't know TL's financial situation so I can't really comment further on it.

But a lot of players know how to master things with astonishing speed using various techniques. The other problem would be that the old players (the ones who have already spent money on gems) would feel *****ed; if they have mastered all he items already, they miss out on hundreds of gems under your system!

driftboutique
06-13-11, 03:37 PM
I don't know TL's financial situation so I can't really comment further on it.

But a lot of players know how to master things with astonishing speed using various techniques. The other problem would be that the old players (the ones who have already spent money on gems) would feel *****ed; if they have mastered all he items already, they miss out on hundreds of gems under your system!

One thing I've seen suggested elsewhere would be to add a fifth level of mastery. I think it could even take as long as levels 1-4 combined and reward you, say, 3-5 gems. I think that would be fair to people who have been playing for ages as it adds something new to work toward.

Rachael98
06-13-11, 03:48 PM
One thing I've seen suggested elsewhere would be to add a fifth level of mastery. I think it could even take as long as levels 1-4 combined and reward you, say, 3-5 gems. I think that would be fair to people who have been playing for ages as it adds something new to work toward.

Yes, I think that that would work nicely. Give the oldest players new stuff (although the updates are really helping that:D)

driftboutique
06-13-11, 03:51 PM
Yes, I think that that would work nicely. Give the oldest players new stuff (although the updates are really helping that:D)

Agreed! Plus it gives people like me something to work toward. Strawberry coffee cake here I come ;)

Rachael98
06-13-11, 03:53 PM
Agreed! Plus it gives people like me something to work toward. Strawberry coffee cake here I come ;)

I still class myself as new to BS. Lots to do!

pchaneats
06-19-11, 08:16 PM
Looks like a good solution to meh. thnx girls! Now over to u TL ;-)