PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors - gifts or cleaning?

Unregistered
08-27-10, 09:26 AM
I have about 45 neighbors, and used to clean them all daily. However, instead of cleaning back, they just send some stupid gift (I have noticed this trend in Farm Story as well, but I am lvl 75 there so don't care anymore). I only send gifts to those that have cleaned my city - in addition to cleaning them back.

I currently have a 15x15 city, which is full, and have dozens of cozy houses, cafes, parks, etc sitting in inventory now and don't need anymore. I would rather my neighbors clean my city than give a gift. to me, responding with a gift only without cleaning is just lazy.

Am I alone here?

Unregistered
08-27-10, 09:42 AM
Oh you are brave soul to bring this up. I mentioned this very thing on another thread and was verbally attacked for my views, called ungrateful and generally villified. Personally, in CS, I do not actively go out cleaning but do clean back anyone who cleans my city and clean any neighbours who send me a gift. I only hold a few items in inventory and sell the rest.

Ok, I've had my say and am now running for cover.

Unregistered
08-27-10, 12:26 PM
Well, when you have over 400 neighbors its pretty hard to clean everyone. Gifting everyone is a LOT easier.

Unregistered
08-27-10, 02:25 PM
Oh you are brave soul to bring this up. I mentioned this very thing on another thread and was verbally attacked for my views, called ungrateful and generally villified. Personally, in CS, I do not actively go out cleaning but do clean back anyone who cleans my city and clean any neighbours who send me a gift. I only hold a few items in inventory and sell the rest.

Ok, I've had my say and am now running for cover.

If I may, Ellie, it isn't your opinion that offends people but the way you react to any criticism of it. I mean, here you are days later on a whole new forum opening similar topics with statements like; "Oh you are brave soul to bring this up." and saying that those posters who disagreed with you must have been vilifying you. Can you honestly not see how that will be interpreted as a slap in the face to your 'vilifiers'?

Didn't you also describe a poster as inconsiderate for writing anonymously?

My advice would be for you to get over it and let your detractors do the same, poking them with a stick isn't going to do it, now is it?

Unregistered
08-27-10, 02:36 PM
I have about 45 neighbors, and used to clean them all daily. However, instead of cleaning back, they just send some stupid gift (I have noticed this trend in Farm Story as well, but I am lvl 75 there so don't care anymore). I only send gifts to those that have cleaned my city - in addition to cleaning them back.

I currently have a 15x15 city, which is full, and have dozens of cozy houses, cafes, parks, etc sitting in inventory now and don't need anymore. I would rather my neighbors clean my city than give a gift. to me, responding with a gift only without cleaning is just lazy.

Am I alone here?

It is your City and you set the rules. I don't agree with those you mention, no, but then that's me.

You have clearly stopped at 45 neighbours when you could have recruited many more so I would imagine that those who you chose to keep are amenable and perhaps pleasantly chatty? The cream of the crop either way. If so, then talk to them about your concern, rather than let it frustrate you, and explain that you prefer cleaning to help you level/make money over a gift to use or sell. I'm sure once they understand how you prefer to play they will make concessions for you if they have the time and would understand if you removed them should they not.

Fill any gaps to take yourself back to 45 and take the time to be clear with your ground rules, after all you are asking them to take the time to check in to clean when there is room to. Everybody profits.

Unregistered
08-27-10, 03:20 PM
If I may, Ellie, it isn't your opinion that offends people but the way you react to any criticism of it. I mean, here you are days later on a whole new forum opening similar topics with statements like; "Oh you are brave soul to bring this up." and saying that those posters who disagreed with you must have been vilifying you. Can you honestly not see how that will be interpreted as a slap in the face to your 'vilifiers'?

Didn't you also describe a poster as inconsiderate for writing anonymously?

My advice would be for you to get over it and let your detractors do the same, poking them with a stick isn't going to do it, now is it?

Touch?!! Everyone plays the game differently and we have to accept that. We are both entitled to our opinions and should just agree to disagree. I would just like to know what I have done to upset you.

Apologies to OP for hijacking the thread.

Daneville
08-28-10, 05:43 AM
I personally, clean all my neighbors first, then send gifts to all of them and then clean every city that appears on my newsfeed list. I never really leave any comments so I wonder if the people who don't work off the newsfeed, just their walls, miss the fact that I cleaned them. Hmmm....

Chapichapo
08-28-10, 07:07 AM
If you sell houses you don't use, you're having money just as well as with cleaning. And if you use houses, you avoid to pay it. So gifts are cool. Am i wrong or i don't understand the probleme ???

Deadpix
08-28-10, 10:13 AM

Am I alone here?

Maybe they came in when your city was completely cleaned and so left you a gift instead; that's happened to me lots of times before (receiving a gift because my city was completely cleaned that is).

Unregistered
08-28-10, 01:23 PM
However, instead of cleaning back, they just send some stupid gift

I would rather my neighbors clean my city than give a gift. to me, responding with a gift only without cleaning is just lazy.

Am I alone here?

Stupid Gift? They sent you a cozy house that you can sell for 580 coins or a cafe for 250 coins and that is stupid and lazy? WOW...... You can not be happy that they spent some time and effort on you unless it is at least the same time and effort that you spent on them?

OK This sounds alot like high school (the selfish phase in peoples lives). Mom so and so spent X$ on me for me birthday so I have to spent that amount or more or she will be mad at me and will not be my friend anymore.

Maybe you should tell all of your neighbors that you play a certain way (what your expectations are) and that if they do not play your way you will delete them.

Lesleypsg1
08-28-10, 01:42 PM
Something people forget is that not everyone who cleans writes on the wall, and feeds only holds so many names, so I never assume a neighbour has gifted instead of cleaned. I tend to assume they did both but their name has fallen from the feeds. I gift and water, not instead...or only if watered. And i dont use my watering as reward or punishment only if they water me. I water when i have time, and i gift in bulk as its easier.The gifts don't cost me anything after all. Just saying, I'd rather think the best than the worst. And it's just a game.

Unregistered
08-28-10, 04:44 PM
The other thing to consider is that many do have, well perhaps over fifty neighbours. If I'm going thru my list and there is ntw, or ntc, most times I don't leave a note. If I have time to go back I will, but often I can't. Real life is busy. If u think about it, 5 splashes is worth 500 . If ur neighbour sends u a house because u were maybe full when they had time to visit, isn't it better to get that than, well, nothing?
I'm not critiquing anyone, I'm just saying that real life comes with enough pressures and expectations. These games I come to in order to relax. If I have cyber neighbours that have more "expectations and/or pressure" to put on me, well it makes the game not fun as a stress reliever anymore, but rather becomes a stress enhancer. I'd rather not have neighbours that have neighbour rules, but are more relaxed and take the game to be it is what it is. A non competitive game. I hope everyone tho finds they get what they need. If u need to have ppl water, then delete if they don't. If ur like me, then if u have neighbours that have watering/gifting rules, then I would delete them.
I'd suggest do away with the neighbour thing and just do community watering so this isn't an issue, but ive talked to some pretty neat people from all over the world that are my neighbours.

Some days we miss watering or cleaning each other because of time zone differences and by the time I'm awake they're full, and when they finally collect starting their day..I'm headed off to bed :). But we still leave each other prezzies. It's kinda nice.

janet14
08-29-10, 02:42 PM

I send gifts to all my neighbors so that they can sell them and use the money. And yes, that's what I do with the gifts I get from people.

I almost never write on walls....

I clean all my neighbors when I can (I go through the list of neighbors twice a day to try to clean..)

If it looks like a city is abandoned (I can't clean in several days, factories aren't tended), I sometimes delete them from my neighbors list. But most times I just assume that my timing is wrong for cleaning and SOMETIMES I leave an ntc message on their wall just to let them know I do try.

I've never asked someone to be my neighbor. However, if they leave a post on my wall asking me to add them, I do. I'm now up to >90 neighbors in a few days (*sigh*), so it takes a while to go through my list. But even if I don't have time to clean, I do send gifts daily (easy to do in batches).

Oh yes, there's also a max of 20 gifts you can RECEIVE, so even if they're a "good neighbor" but in a vastly different time zone, you may never get a gift from them. Oh well...

It's for fun... I just wish that dirtying a highrise gave me more points than if I just left a simple house to be cleaned. And putting up a parking garage reduced my 'cleanable' objects by 3 (*sigh*). Still, I am having fun making a city that's fun and not just a grid of houses and coffee shops.

Hi all!

Unregistered
08-29-10, 04:41 PM
Before talking about gift and cleaning here is the point

this is being so boring and must be change asap to something more fun

atleast for the gift we should be able tochose whatever we want to send.

for cleaning i dont see any point here the just wasting time plus no fun by thetime for the first few days its fun but after a week as max.... its ............. just give me a break

we need something new, like attack or something

Unregistered
08-29-10, 06:12 PM
Before talking about gift and cleaning here is the point

this is being so boring and must be change asap to something more fun

atleast for the gift we should be able tochose whatever we want to send.

for cleaning i dont see any point here the just wasting time plus no fun by thetime for the first few days its fun but after a week as max.... its ............. just give me a break

With all due respect, I don't and won't play competitive or attack games...and there are many here who feel the same. There are lots of those already in the app store if that's ur thing, and only a few like this to relax by. I like the calm of the game. If u find it boring I respect ur feelings but as I said, there's a lot of games out there to fill ur need.

The day this goes competitive they'll probably lose most of their paying base.

Another forum writer suggested being able to steal stuff on a neighbours turf. I hate thieves in real life. Don't really want them in my virtual turf either, so another crummy idea.

Someone suggested letting ppl hide gems in crops so a random waterer could win as a bonus. Now that's a cool idea, and being someone who purchases the occasional gems I would definitely be willing to sacrifice a few that way to make it a little more fun for those who can't afford gems.

deadpix
08-29-10, 06:30 PM

Nah, that's too violent for a game called City Story; you'll have to wait for Teamlava's next offering - War Story :-)

On the other hand, you could play Haypi Kingdom; a friend of mine spent the entire weekend whimpering to me about how her wonderful "culturally advanced" kingdom, which she painstakingly built up over a month, was conquered by someone whom she refused to have an alliance with :-)

deadpix
08-29-10, 06:45 PM
Someone suggested letting ppl hide gems in crops so a random waterer could win as a bonus. Now that's a cool idea, and being someone who purchases the occasional gems I would definitely be willing to sacrifice a few that way to make it a little more fun for those who can't afford gems.

Gems? Crops? Oh, you must mean Farm Story. But yeah, hiding City Cash would be interesting, but not in buildings, maybe parks and other decorative tiles, that way we'd get more cities with greenery instead of just concrete and steel like in all those coin generating mega cities.

One idea that has been waved about quite a bit is that the coins that a city builder earns for a cleaned building should be proportionate to the investment on the building, that way, players would be rewarded for spending on bigger buildings.

Unregistered
09-02-10, 12:13 PM
Ok, so what is the point of having hundreds of neighbors if not for mutual cleaning/gifting? I don't think you get more bonus cash, or anything else do you? You only need less than 20 neighbors to expand your city, so it's not that?

And fwiw, if the neighbor cleans you, it's worth $1K, if they send a house, $580. When I clean a neighbor, I always post that on their wall. When I give someone $1K on a consistent basis, and they only give me back $580, then I think that is a problem. As another poster said, time to start editing out neighbors...

Unregistered
09-02-10, 03:39 PM
Ok, so what is the point of having hundreds of neighbors if not for mutual cleaning/gifting? I don't think you get more bonus cash, or anything else do you? You only need less than 20 neighbors to expand your city, so it's not that?

And fwiw, if the neighbor cleans you, it's worth $1K, if they send a house, $580. When I clean a neighbor, I always post that on their wall. When I give someone $1K on a consistent basis, and they only give me back $580, then I think that is a problem. As another poster said, time to start editing out neighbors...

I've limited myself to no more than 80 on both fs and cs. I go thru my neighbours list once a day. If there is ntw or ntc I just move on without messaging. I gift daily. Not everyone does this. And it's cool with me. I'm a four rating. Good enough for me. I don't feel the need to control what others do. I always end up with twenty gifts back, and with community help my crops are always watered. I'm here to relax. Not play social butterfly, or bend to someone else's control. Tho I'm prob what most consider a good neighbour, I would delete a control freak from my neighbour list just because that sort tends to turn on everyone sooner or later.

And wouldn't it be great if everyone only watered if they're watered first. How egocentric. No one would ever get watered. A drama game within the game. I have neighbours I think are like that, but I don't care cause as I said, I do my lists daily. Just saying, why are u playing the game if ur so worried about what others are doing. If u need that kind of drama, there are a lot of interactive competitive games at the app store

Unregistered
09-02-10, 06:22 PM
I rarely leave a message on the wall because it's time consuming and you lose your place when you go back to the neighbor list. I have almost 400 neighbors combine on both fs and cs and send gifts daily, as well as clean and water my neighbors I clean and water all who I notice visit me, I have a 4 watering/cleaning rating on both. If you add me I will approve because my name is my id however I don't add anyone that tells me to, I'm on level 75 on fs so I'm not really looking for more neighbors