PDA

View Full Version : Please post your opinion about earning (not buying) gems, thank you!!!

Unregistered
05-28-10, 09:46 AM
Dear farmers,
I'm sure I'm not the only one who is upset about no way to earn gems in this game.
Please support me in asking the developers to allow us earn gems one way or another. To only have an option to buy them is, in my opinion, very stingy. I'm not saying developer should not seek the profit but it would be so much better if we have the ability to also earn them. It should not be easy (say, 10,000 coins would earn you 1 gem) but we should have the option.
Thank you for your time and effort.

ilikecookiez13
05-28-10, 10:46 AM
I don't know how many times I commented on things like these.

Here is 1 out of 3 since alot of threads have been removed.

Don't think such an idea will be used in this game ever.
The developers try to earn some cash.
And gems shouldn't be so easy to obtain.
Just like any other game.
But there could be promotion which you can get gems for if you download the app promoted.

GoddessOverlord
05-28-10, 01:16 PM
I sometimes buy Honor Points in the Storm 8 games but like that I also get them in promotions. I refuse to spend money on a game that holds something out to where I MUST spend money. Team Lava won't get any of my money at all unless there is some mechanism for me to obtain gems, spending $$ or promotions. I like to try things before buying......and most of the apps I've purchased started as a freebie.

Farmer Grud
05-28-10, 01:58 PM
Before things get too heated in this thread I thought I would share a quote from Supercow, a Lavasoft Employee, that was left in one of the MANY other threads (CLICK HERE (http://forums.teamlava.com/showthread.php?91-A-Word-from-a-Gem-Buyer)) on this subject...

Thank you for your feedback. Eventually we will have some promotions that will allow people to acquire a few Gems without spending money. When we start doing some of these, people will not know if you spent money or earned it through promotions.
I hope this will end, or at the very least deminish all the crying over this topic. :p

stizz
05-28-10, 07:44 PM
My cheif complaint is that there are items that can only be purchased with gems. Don't strong arm me to make a buck TeamLava. Make it so all items have a gem AND coin prices and then I frankly don't care if you can earn gems in game or through promotions or not at all.

aehm_allways_drunk
05-29-10, 07:46 AM
that would be a nice feature erning gems instead of buying them

Gunregistard
05-29-10, 11:59 AM
The game (like the S8s, but even moreso) is in extreme beta mode, so why would someone spend the money on gems (I'd argue ever) but especially right now? I mean, you can't even delete comments or cancel neighbors, for one.

trenae
05-29-10, 12:04 PM
The game (like the S8s, but even moreso) is in extreme beta mode, so why would someone spend the money on gems (I'd argue ever) but especially right now? I mean, you can't even delete comments or cancel neighbors, for one.

Storm8 games are not in "extreme beta mode" and yes this game is a work in progress but for things you want (those aren't going to change).

Some people buy points to show support to the Developers/Companies to show they like a product and other reasons.

I bought points - I wanted to see my crop art all done at once and didn't want to wait 8 hours to see it. I'd buy more too just to see my crops all done at once because it's pretty and fun.

____

But NO you should not earn Gems and as Grud posted what Norman posted - there will be opportunities to receive gems in the future.

Vicki
05-29-10, 01:57 PM
It's obscene that there is no mechanism for obtaining gems other than purchasing!

trenae
05-29-10, 02:29 PM
It's obscene that there is no mechanism for obtaining gems other than purchasing!

Please read again!

Thank you for your feedback. Eventually we will have some promotions that will allow people to acquire a few Gems without spending money . When we start doing some of these, people will not know if you spent money or earned it through promotions.

They have not yet done any promotions but there will be as was already posted to the very topic in another thread.

trenae
05-29-10, 02:31 PM
They have not yet done any promotions but there will be as was already posted to the very topic in another thread.

* As well as quoted in this thread above.

StrawberryFieldsForHours
05-30-10, 03:13 AM
Just to clarify.

Farm Story is a free app from the same stable as the Storm8 games that many have seen on iPhone/Pod touch.

These games are free but are funded through players who buy points (in this case gems) with actual money.

It is possible elsewhere and will be possible here (in a future patch) to earn 'free' points.

Free points (gems) will likely be redeemable in amounts ranging between 10-20, once upon downloading other free software from related developers.

Gems will likely always only buy you frivolous or cosmetic advantages and the game will always be fully playable, as I do, without them.

While buying gems is a great way to support this game you should not feel any pressure to purchase them, telling you friends about Farm Story and letting them decide how they wish to play is also good I would imagine. :)

I hope this helps?

Unregistered
05-30-10, 03:15 AM

I know.....how rude...I mean you get the game for free or 59p and then you have to pay for things to upgrade your farm....you're right...it is obscene that a game developer should have the nerve and audacity to try and earn money to cover their costs.....

StrawberryFieldsForHours
05-30-10, 03:21 AM
Heh, just to clarify my clarification:

Please read "redeemable" in point four as 'redeemed' and understand that the related game downloaded to provide you with this bonus can be played or deleted immediately but will only offer the bonus points once.

The main thing to take away from this is that you do not need to purchase gems in order to play.

Unregistered
05-30-10, 03:31 AM
I was being uber sarcastic to the posters in this thread that expect to have their cake and eat it and all for free......I think it is perfectly acceptable to charge for gems.....how else is this game supposed to be supported, improved and the developers earn a living.
I have been playing this game without buying gems and it is certainly playable without buying gems.
Be a cheapskate like me and play without buying gems and therefore play without the things gems buy.....or....stop moaning, buy gems and play with the extras that you can get with the purchase of gems....simples.

Unregistered
05-30-10, 04:40 AM
Absolutely!

And while you're at it, please make the fertilizer available for coins as well (even though a lot of them)

Unregistered
06-07-10, 09:10 AM
Well, for me, the developers et cetera, of the game need a job thus Storm8 requires cash to keep the business going and pay their employees. I enjoy the game, it provides me with a nice break during my day and amuses me. I've paid for the pleasure of other games (xbox, online, play-station, etc) so every now and then I spend $5US (what's that a couple of latte's a month?) to buy gems and support a game that I enjoy. I contribute to keeping the company in business and people in nice jobs. To me, it's a win-win. I can think of no reason why gems should be bought with coins. It's rather generous that free gems can be had from downloading promotion games.

In short, I've no complaint with the current set-up for acquiring gems.

cspheregreen
06-07-10, 10:24 AM
All things having to do with "what you can do" should be able to be earned through regular play. Items having to do with "how things look" or "how fast you can" could be cash-only. This way they would still have revenue, but the community would be happier as a whole.

Unregistered
06-07-10, 10:28 PM
Sure the things you can with gems are super cute, but you don't need them. I am a level 41 and have no use for them! My farm is 17x17 and I earned every square by farming, not spending money. I respect other's choice to purchase them, but I will not be partaking in that venture. Besides, farm story is free and they have to make money! So quit whining and get to farming, people! :)

Unregistered
06-07-10, 10:44 PM
I, just a couple of days ago, got the opportunity to "earn" 10 FREE gems. There was a pop up on farm story that if I downloaded this certain free game, I would get 10 free gems. I downloaded the game, opened it and there it was, the free gems icon. I just wish there were more of these. Also, I wouldn't mind having to read an advertisment, take a short servey, or leave feedback on other apps in order to earn gems. This way team lava receives some kick back as well as we can get free gems. This should be an option. Not everyone wants to take serveys or look at advertisments. This way it's fair to everyone.

Unregistered
06-07-10, 10:52 PM
My only complaint with the gems/ for cash is that these real money cash purchases are made in the same ''store'' where virtual purchases are made. I think this could lead to big problems.

This game must be attractive to children too. I am certain that some are not able to distinguish between these 2 very different types of purchasing.

On a side note, I find it a bit too easy to purchase the wrong crop just by scrolling over incorrectly.
nice game.... May need a few tweaks. Thanks.

Ellie
06-08-10, 01:14 AM
My only complaint with the gems/ for cash is that these real money cash purchases are made in the same ''store'' where virtual purchases are made. I think this could lead to big problems.

This game must be attractive to children too. I am certain that some are not able to distinguish between these 2 very different types of purchasing.

On a side note, I find it a bit too easy to purchase the wrong crop just by scrolling over incorrectly.
nice game.... May need a few tweaks. Thanks.

Two of my sons have iPod touch linked to my iTunes account and they don't have the password to allow purchases. This enables me to keep control of age appropriate content they download and prevents them running up a massive credit card bill.

Back to gems, I was a little annoyed to find out I couldn't earn gems as I foolishly used mine on fertiliser when I started playing. Being a cheapskate I haven't purchased anymore and it hasn't spoiled my enjoyment of the game. I did get 10 gems for downloading imobster and eagerly await further promotions, I'm saving up for a duck and a dog.

I appreciate that the devs generate income from players who purchase gems but maybe advertising is the way to go, not every 5 minutes like some games, but if you water x amount of crops a pop up appears and you are rewarded with a gem. It could be something like 5000 waterings and you get a gem. This would reward the prolific players who visit neighbours' farms and the community in general.

Also, the purchase of 50,000 or 100,000 worth of decorations could be rewarded with a gem.

Only my thoughts but I don't think earning gems should be made too easy.

Unregistered
06-08-10, 08:51 AM
Please read again!

Yes, but they have done a promotion but not everyone on the game got it. And, I know of one person who got the promo, but when downloaded as like in other Storm8 games, the gems never appeared.
Will they re-send the promo to "farmers" who didn`t get it originally???

Unregistered
07-31-10, 06:28 PM
While I am not into farming games, my daughter loves farm story! It is hard to continually say "no" when she asks to buy gems. Please make gems an earning possibility or lower the prices drastically..thanks

Unregistered
10-01-10, 03:26 PM
I think that since u can give 10 gems for 5000 coins than u should be able to give 5000 coins for 10 gems

Unregistered
10-01-10, 04:24 PM
We should be able to earn a limited amount of gems like other apps and yes the makers should be able to earn money. But when they charge $5 a pop out of the discovery chest for an item like, oh say, a little brown bunny, then I think we have every right to "cry" about it. For those of us in higher levels of the game who put alot of time and effort in our farms, then have to try to get any good items at that price from our pocket and not be able to earn them any other way, then yes that's selfish of them and their making WAY too much money off us.

Unregistered
10-01-10, 08:40 PM
okay so we now have a way to earn gems... level two on the new leaf program.. thats a total of 48 gems if you are able to complete them all to that level.... can we please do something about all the male gnomes for completing the leaf levels please..... this is my 4th post about this problem... thanks...

Unregistered
10-05-10, 06:10 PM
okay so we now have a way to earn gems... level two on the new leaf program.. thats a total of 48 gems if you are able to complete them all to that level

Are you saying that you can now earn gems for mastering crops? I have mastered just about every veggie and fruit and have gnomes up the butt and now you tell me I could have had gems instead? wtf? Is there a way to re-master crops?

Unregistered
10-06-10, 05:27 AM
Are you saying that you can now earn gems for mastering crops? I have mastered just about every veggie and fruit and have gnomes up the butt and now you tell me I could have had gems instead? wtf? Is there a way to re-master crops?

you get a gem when you reach level two on the crops. You don't have to get all the way to level four unless you really want the gnome or the extra earning potential.

billybob999
12-20-10, 04:57 AM
I love these games, I play city, farm, emperor and treasure story, but I end up not being able to buy any more buildings in treasure story for example; I can't afford the cheapest building, and how do you expect somebody to get 1800 gems for something that doesn't make that much of a difference to a game. You should be able to cash in coins for gems, as in city story, Ive ended up with so many coins, and no city cash, you need to make it easier, e.g a gem/city cash for completing a contract, or sometimes digging up gems in treasure story. These games are already great, but with a few tweaks, they have the potential to be fantastic!!!