PDA

View Full Version : Why has the Crash Crash Crash thread been closed

Ellerslie6
12-24-19, 12:52 PM
My new IPad Pro is still experiencing significant rollbacks and crashes - and I assume this is the case with all players. So why has the thread allowing us to voice our concerns been closed

amerirish
12-24-19, 01:07 PM
My new IPad Pro is still experiencing significant rollbacks and crashes - and I assume this is the case with all players. So why has the thread allowing us to voice our concerns been closed

Because no matter what we say it will always be blamed on our devices and/or the status of our islands :mad:

squigglish
12-24-19, 01:20 PM
Because no matter what we say it will always be blamed on our devices and/or the status of our islands :mad:

Now, now, that is not quite true. Sometimes it is blamed on our internet connection.

amerirish
12-24-19, 01:22 PM
Now, now, that is not quite true. Sometimes it is blamed on our internet connection.

I stand corrected :D

Fyym
12-24-19, 04:28 PM
Because they talked themselves into a corner. "Everyone's issue is not related". Yea, it's all one issue. But instead of admitting it, they shut the thread down.

Fyym
12-24-19, 04:31 PM
When I had the issue of events not starting, S8 told me to "uninstall the game". A) it didnt solve the problem. B) now Elsa is saying don't do that. I think they have NO idea how to fix the crashing problem. So this post and maybe this entire thread will be deleted to try and hide the issue.

mymonta
12-24-19, 04:37 PM
Elsa said why she was closing it.

amerirish
12-24-19, 06:42 PM
Elsa said why she was closing it.

Well, sort of...the gist of it was that even though all of our games are crashing, it's for completely personalized reasons. Riiiiiiight.

AraRaider
12-25-19, 03:00 AM
I’m the one that made that crash thread. I guess they didn’t like the pages and pages of people complaining about the crashing and now they want us to to go talk to support. I’ve spoken to support about the crashes before it doesn’t help AT ALL! Speaking to support for the crashes doesn’t help me at all all they do is blame my device or tell me to reinstall the game or tell me my iPhone needs to be up to date which everything is and I’ve done everything they asked and it doesn’t help. So I’m guessing it is being swept under the rug. I don’t think it’s fair of them to close that forum topic at all. They need to see how much of a problem countless people are having but just telling us to contact support for the crashing doesn’t help...unless they have devised a new method which I’ve heard no mention of?

FireballFarm
12-25-19, 01:45 PM
Got a brand spankin’ new iPad Pro today for Xmas... crashed while mining.

mymonta
12-25-19, 02:08 PM
Need to redo.

mymonta
12-25-19, 02:11 PM
Well, sort of...the gist of it was that even though all of our games are crashing, it's for completely personalized reasons. Riiiiiiight.

Exactly. She said it was not a "one size fix (sic) all." Lol! Pretty sure the expression is "one size fits all."

I'm not saying I agree or necessarily disagree with Elsa. However, we aren't supposed to question the actions of forum mods or social community managers, so I imagine this thread won't be really well received by said folks. I would hate to see anyone suspended, even temporarily.

skyharbor602
12-25-19, 03:44 PM
Exactly. She said it was not a "one size fix (sic) all." Lol! Pretty sure the expression is "one size fits all."

I'm not saying I agree or necessarily disagree with Elsa. However, we aren't supposed to question the actions of forum mods or social community managers, so I imagine this thread won't be really well received by said folks. I would hate to see anyone suspended, even temporarily.

Or what happened to a few - permanently. It's a no win situation so I'm not complaining nor being critical. I've already put a solution out there and I'm leaving it at that. And on that note, I'm going to start the Sootfoot Tournament thread in a few minutes - the event I enjoy the most on Dragon Story.

deadpixel
12-26-19, 11:36 AM
I've just been ignoring the crashing issues since my last post on the matter. They told me that they are looking into the issues and that they are trying to solve them so I'm choosing to believe them. After all, they have no reason to lie to us or give us the run-around do they?

However, what is really getting up my nose these days are the **** "surprise" rollbacks. I say surprise because that's exactly what they are. In the past, these rollbacks happen right before your eyes and because you are aware of them, you can just redo the actions. In the last week or so, with increasing frequencies, I'm experiencing rollbacks in my games that happen sometime after my device goes to sleep. Here are examples of the last three incidences:

Incident 1
- I embarked on a bingo task to harvest fifteen Fire Apples within four hours and began by planting my first seven Fire Apples.
- They became ready, so I started the task-timer, collected the first seven and planted another seven Fire Apples.
- I went back into the game an hour-and-a-half later, collected the second batch of seven Fire Apples then planted two more (one to complete the 15 required and one more just in case).
- I also planted five Rushrooms for another Bingo task that required the harvesting of five of them.
- I then let my device go to sleep with DS still running on the screen. My device is set to sleep after five minutes of inactivity.
- I came back two hours later to find that the game had inexplicably "rolled back" to a point where both the Fire Apples and the first Rushroom planted were missing. Somehow, the game rolled back in such a way that it didn't record that they had been planted, yet captured the planting of the last four Rushrooms.

Incident 2
- Putting that incident aside, I went on to collect my "Bells Are Ringing" quest, only to find that this had rolled back too and I was staring an unactivated Quest Outpost.

Incident 3
- Ignoring my loss of a Classic Chocolate, I put my Chime Dragon into the Evolution Temple to get it to level 4. This time, I decided to check-in after an hour and sure enough, it had rolled back again and my dragon wasn't in the Evolution Temple.

When the game crashes, I just restart it and redo what I had done and everything goes on. However, when one of these surprise-rollbacks occurs, I end up with incomplete tasks and expired Bingo timers and the very real possibility of a Tales event that cannot be completed.

I'm highly tempted to end this post with something sarcastic, but I won't go that way.

AraRaider
12-26-19, 02:08 PM
I've just been ignoring the crashing issues since my last post on the matter. They told me that they are looking into the issues and that they are trying to solve them so I'm choosing to believe them. After all, they have no reason to lie to us or give us the run-around do they?

However, what is really getting up my nose these days are the **** "surprise" rollbacks. I say surprise because that's exactly what they are. In the past, these rollbacks happen right before your eyes and because you are aware of them, you can just redo the actions. In the last week or so, with increasing frequencies, I'm experiencing rollbacks in my games that happen sometime after my device goes to sleep. Here are examples of the last three incidences:

Incident 1
- I embarked on a bingo task to harvest fifteen Fire Apples within four hours and began by planting my first seven Fire Apples.
- They became ready, so I started the task-timer, collected the first seven and planted another seven Fire Apples.
- I went back into the game an hour-and-a-half later, collected the second batch of seven Fire Apples then planted two more (one to complete the 15 required and one more just in case).
- I also planted five Rushrooms for another Bingo task that required the harvesting of five of them.
- I then let my device go to sleep with DS still running on the screen. My device is set to sleep after five minutes of inactivity.
- I came back two hours later to find that the game had inexplicably "rolled back" to a point where both the Fire Apples and the first Rushroom planted were missing. Somehow, the game rolled back in such a way that it didn't record that they had been planted, yet captured the planting of the last four Rushrooms.

Incident 2
- Putting that incident aside, I went on to collect my "Bells Are Ringing" quest, only to find that this had rolled back too and I was staring an unactivated Quest Outpost.

Incident 3
- Ignoring my loss of a Classic Chocolate, I put my Chime Dragon into the Evolution Temple to get it to level 4. This time, I decided to check-in after an hour and sure enough, it had rolled back again and my dragon wasn't in the Evolution Temple.

When the game crashes, I just restart it and redo what I had done and everything goes on. However, when one of these surprise-rollbacks occurs, I end up with incomplete tasks and expired Bingo timers and the very real possibility of a Tales event that cannot be completed.

I'm highly tempted to end this post with something sarcastic, but I won't go that way.

See its posts like that where I don't think Elsa should have closed my thread. Clearly many many many people still want to discuss over it because asking us to contact support does not seem to help... I have tried numerous times asking for support on the crashing and I NEVER get the problem fixed ever. Friends of mine have tried too. They always say the same thing to us in support, accuse our device, net or not being up to date (which mine always is). We should be allowed to discuss it and not get swept under the rug...

mymonta
12-26-19, 07:09 PM
I've experienced these surprise rollbacks, too, and I honestly thought I was losing my mind - that I had simply not put the dragon in the evolution temple like I thought I had or something. However after it happened multiple times, i realized it must be the game and not just me.

LocalNews
12-27-19, 01:28 PM
I just had a rollback from Bingo. Collected my 7 seven hour crops and then had to put in 2 twenty hour crops. Did that and it rolled back and I put in two more 20 hour crops and then discovered that I had to do the 7 seven hour crops again but now I have 4 twenty hour crops to wait for. I don?t stand a chance in doing that without spending gems or using my speedups,which I refuse to do when this was not my fault. No more Bingo for me. I have had issues of rollbacks with other parts of the game too. In battles I have spent gems to get past a hard opponent only for it to roll back again to the same foe. GRRRRRR! Yes, I am a longtime player who has spent my share of $$$ on this game. I finally quit Fantasy Forest a few years ago and now I am about ready to quit this game as I am almost out of space. I just missed getting an upgrade in the stable for 900 gems but it must have been a short term Black Friday sale. I had hoped to get a few more months to be able to play more but I think my playing days will be limited since it is getting harder and harder to expand my land. Now if I want to expand I have to use 55-60 keys per space. That takes forever.
If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

mymonta
12-27-19, 03:06 PM
I just had a rollback from Bingo. Collected my 7 seven hour crops and then had to put in 2 twenty hour crops. Did that and it rolled back and I put in two more 20 hour crops and then discovered that I had to do the 7 seven hour crops again but now I have 4 twenty hour crops to wait for. I don?t stand a chance in doing that without spending gems or using my speedups,which I refuse to do when this was not my fault. No more Bingo for me. I have had issues of rollbacks with other parts of the game too. In battles I have spent gems to get past a hard opponent only for it to roll back again to the same foe. GRRRRRR! Yes, I am a longtime player who has spent my share of $$$ on this game. I finally quit Fantasy Forest a few years ago and now I am about ready to quit this game as I am almost out of space. I just missed getting an upgrade in the stable for 900 gems but it must have been a short term Black Friday sale. I had hoped to get a few more months to be able to play more but I think my playing days will be limited since it is getting harder and harder to expand my land. Now if I want to expand I have to use 55-60 keys per space. That takes forever.
If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

The Marble key producing dragons really help to speed up your ability to expand, but they aren't currently on sale.

I just counted and I only have 25 expansions left, so about 6 more months of play.

newzealander
12-28-19, 08:51 AM
I was one of the last to post on the previous Crash thread, and was told to get video of my crashes. By the time I saw that response from Elsa, the thread had closed and I couldn't ask how to do that!

The detail on this thread tells me that my crashes and rollbacks are happening at the same point as others; planting food that is then not planted, putting dragons on the evolution temples that are then not there, and for me also clearing land that then isn't cleared. Those aren't the only times, but they're common ones. Probably the most frustrating for me is after defeating a dragon in battle, then crashing and finding I have to wait an hour to fight the same dragon I just defeated! Losing the second time just adds salt to the wound!

So I guess I'll work out how to video these crashes, and send it in....but from what I've read, I won't hold my breath.

deadpixel
12-28-19, 09:44 AM
<Snip...>
So I guess I'll work out how to video these crashes, and send it in....but from what I've read, I won't hold my breath.

I was going to post a short writeup about how to capture videos of our gameplay, but work and other commitments got in the way :blue:

In a nutshell, if you have an iOS device that is, all you have to do is to activate the built-in screen recording feature before switching to the DS game. Play until it crashes then stop the recording. Upload the video to a filesharing site and send the links to the powers that be.

It's more complicated with Android devices because not all come with built-in screen recording functions and the third-party ones have to be purchased or may be limited.

mymonta
01-23-20, 05:37 PM
I got a brand new iPhone 11 straight out of the box and activated it on January 11. That very night I experienced rollbacks, closeouts, etc.

Today I was in my brand new level 32 account (point being that it is a small account that doesn't take up a lot of memory yet), moved a dragon from one habitat to another, and then hatched a Cosmos dragon into the habitat. I came back about 3 hours later and there was the Cosmos dragon still sitting on the nest and the other dragon still in the wrong habitat. Ugh! So, yes, brand new devices have the same issues. Brand new accounts have these problems.

Paul__
01-23-20, 05:55 PM
Again, Storage and RAM are different. The games have many animations loading on screen, and that’s why slowdowns occur. Storm8 unfortunately can’t do anything about it as they do not make the devices. This is why phones cannot run things like Photoshop, there just isn’t enough processing power and RAM in them.

mymonta
01-23-20, 06:02 PM
Again, Storage and RAM are different. The games have many animations loading on screen, and that’s why slowdowns occur. Storm8 unfortunately can’t do anything about it as they do not make the devices. This is why phones cannot run things like Photoshop, there just isn’t enough processing power and RAM in them.

Then maybe Elsa shouldn't have asked us to send videos of the shutdowns and make it sound like they could help?

deadpixel
01-23-20, 06:02 PM
I mentioned this about two years ago but I think it may be worth bringing up again:

That there is a possibility that the crashes are related to synchronizing issues. We all seem to be so focused on the game crashing after it runs out of memory, but in some tests that I did, (I was bored), my devices still had loads of free memory when the crashes occurred.

I know we haven't been talking about rollback and synchro issues very much, but these are very much a part of the crashing issues we face so... :confused:

mymonta
01-23-20, 06:39 PM
I will admit that I am not very tech savvy and I don't understand how a lot of this works. I have my own areas of expertise in life, and this is not one of them. What I do know, or at least what I *believe,* is that the game *should* work with a certain level of reliability. I don't think it is too much to expect. S8 is a business, and, as such, I believe that they should deliver the highest level of quality and customer service that they are capable of, whatever that may be. It is what I expect from any business - not perfection, just that they do their best. It's not that I don't believe S8 staff are trying hard, but there are *many* issues that players have brought to their attention that just never seem to get fixed or addressed in any way. There is thread after thread after thread about things that negatively affect game play. Many are just personal peeves or preferences (some people want fewer events; some people want events to be reworked; some people believe that breeding is rigged, some people even complain that there are too many of a certain color of dragon *eye roll* etc.). However, to me, the game *actually functioning as it should* is more important than any personal preference. I realize that it is possible that S8 doesn't have the money to buy newer equipment or to hire more staff to address issues and work on different games. I don't really understand because they have about 20 games and things I have read made it sound like some of the games earn a lot of money, so I don't understand why the money isn't there. I personally spend WAY TOO MUCH on S8 games. I spend at least a couple hundred dollars per month, often well over the $200 mark. I am paying for something that I enjoy and, in return, I expect it to do what it is supposed to do. I could obviously be using the money to save for retirement or send to charity or something. Maybe that is what I will start doing because it is apparently foolish of me to think that these issues will be fixed. Like I said above, if these issues can't be resolved by S8, then why would they ask us for more in depth information about the crashes, leading us to believe, or at least to hope, that the problems could be resolved? Also, maybe instead of having 20 different games, they should have a few games that they really pour their resources into and stop monkeying around with things like Jewel Mania and stuff. I would love to see how much money and how many players each of their games actually has and see if they allocate their resources accordingly.

Anyway, I wasn't even mad about the rollback I mentioned earlier; I was just documenting it, but now I'm questioning the whole thing.

deadpixel
01-23-20, 09:47 PM
<Snip...> I would love to see how much money and how many players each of their games actually has and see if they allocate their resources accordingly.

Anyway, I wasn't even mad about the rollback I mentioned earlier; I was just documenting it, but now I'm questioning the whole thing.

Information on much they make for each of their games (close estimates) is available publically. How much they allocate to R&D, equipment, etc. is also available publically, but you'll have to dig.

kooky panda
01-24-20, 11:14 AM
Please do not restart a thread, after a thread on the same topic as been closed.

The forum cannot help with individual device issues. Please contact support . ( see link in my signature)

Elsa;1606384']Please send screen recordings of your crashes to support so they can evaluate and determine this. The issue is that players are generalizing crashes and assuming that everyone's problem is the same and it isn't.

Most people will experience out of memory issues with 1400+ dragons on an iPhone 6. Their issue is they crash when playing on an XR, so it's a completely different situation.

My response wasn't for you, but you've highlighted a problem which is me attempting to give personalized support in a public environment. It's not actually helping, so we'll discontinue here.

Gong forward, if anyone needs help with a crash. Please contact Support so that you can receive personalized service without any confusion. These are not one-size fix all situations. Thanks!