PDA

View Full Version : Do you find the City Story community lacking?

Uniquelyregistered
08-23-10, 06:07 AM
I do, though I say so with all the respect in the worldwide web for all that play and however they chose to do so.

Much of the community must have come here from Farm Story and yet random folk there take more time to write unique and downright friendly comments in my experience whereas the majority of comments I receive in my city are shorter, more demanding clipboard entries pasted to most every wall out there. It is wrong to presume the worst I'm sure but I do wonder about the following:

Being able to collect cleaned buildings immediately after noticing them has quickened the pace of the game over Farm Story, leading many to spend what little time away from their city's 'harvest' visiting to solicit visitors themselves and not actually zooming out, looking around or commenting specifically on those of others.

The appeal of building a city attracts a different demographic balance with regard to age and gender, like those who I have seen going on record in the App review section on iTunes saying that City Story is 'less girly' than managing a farm.

There are simply fewer people playing yet and it takes a little time for the instant rush of new content and options to die down and allow the community itself time to notice one another properly.

What have you found while playing thus far and to what do you attribute this too? Thank you for reading (and not being mortally offended by my opinion). :)

Unregistered
08-23-10, 09:18 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with you and hold my hands up to being one of the "cut and paste" brigade on CS. I have found the response time on the wall to be considerably slower so time is a factor. I start at the bottom of my News Feed, I clean, leave a message, come back and 2 or 3 entries have fallen off the feed. Also not everyone leaves a message but trying to work through the ones who have takes forever.

Farm Story seems a much cosier environment whereas City Story is a bit more cut-throat (similar to real life I suppose).

I am playing City Story as having reached lvl75 in FS, there is nowhere for me to go other than harvest, plant and plough.

Donnahh
08-23-10, 12:56 PM
I am a cut and paster. 58 City friends and 77 farm story ones.

I keep it short and sweet. At the moment mine has (with appropriate emoji's) ohai, love peace chicken grease and water for you.

I don't demand to be added like most. I just don't physically have the time to write a personalized message for everyone of one of my 135 neighbors.

What I do find amusing is being on Farm story and seeing another cut and paster who has left a "cleaned your city" message on someone's farm :)

Hawk 8
08-23-10, 03:26 PM

I keep it short and sweet. At the moment mine has (with appropriate emoji's) ohai, love peace chicken grease and water for you.

I don't demand to be added like most. I just don't physically have the time to write a personalized message for everyone of one of my 135 neighbors.

What I do find amusing is being on Farm story and seeing another cut and paster who has left a "cleaned your city" message on someone's farm :)

My farm has been cleaned before!

Unregistered
08-23-10, 05:34 PM
I don't really play for the community aspects. I wish I could play (i.e. expand) without having neighbors at all. I feel no need to "get there faster, fast, fast." I like the time management and design appeal of the game. Most time management games you have to go fast and beat the clock. I hate that. I want slow leisurely taps. I find I can play slower if I DONT leave a message on every wall, so I just leave a message for my few neighbors (12) and even then it's a cut and paste.

And, LOL, I never once thought that Farm Story was "girly." It's a farm. That's a pretty tough job for any gender.

Uniquelyregistered
08-24-10, 06:50 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with you and hold my hands up to being one of the "cut and paste" brigade on CS. I have found the response time on the wall to be considerably slower so time is a factor. I start at the bottom of my News Feed, I clean, leave a message, come back and 2 or 3 entries have fallen off the feed. Also not everyone leaves a message but trying to work through the ones who have takes forever.

Farm Story seems a much cosier environment whereas City Story is a bit more cut-throat (similar to real life I suppose).

I am playing City Story as having reached lvl75 in FS, there is nowhere for me to go other than harvest, plant and plough.

I, in turn, agree with you that you can tell when you are prominently on the social boards by the speed that your news feed throws folk from the bottom. The fact that you make the effort to clean as many as you can as they fly past is a good example of the nice players I meet in Farm Story all the time and would meet more often here if they were not rushed off of their virtual feet perhaps? :)

I've not had my farm 'cleaned' as yet but believe that I have had some chicken grease. :)
That is a great example of a pasted comment that promotes further discourse, I think the cut and paste brigade have plenty going for them.

Do you think that you've hit the right number of neighbours for you now? I'm always interested in those who start threads to speak about having over a thousand but cannot help but wonder how impersonal this seems to me.
I don't need to know real life information about a neighbour - and as an older player myself (31 can feel like 62 on here at times) make it a priority not to ask - but I could never keep track of what gifts a thousand neighbours prefer, have conversations about favoured buildings, crops, pixel art, designs and generally chew the virtual fat. It seems to me that in certain amounts neighbours cease being people and start becoming mere numbers?

Uniquelyregistered
08-24-10, 07:10 AM
I don't really play for the community aspects. I wish I could play (i.e. expand) without having neighbors at all. I feel no need to "get there faster, fast, fast." I like the time management and design appeal of the game. Most time management games you have to go fast and beat the clock. I hate that. I want slow leisurely taps. I find I can play slower if I DONT leave a message on every wall, so I just leave a message for my few neighbors (12) and even then it's a cut and paste.

And, LOL, I never once thought that Farm Story was "girly." It's a farm. That's a pretty tough job for any gender.

Ironically, for all of my talk of social networking, I too would play an offline version with optimised management mechanics; it'd be great to have more options when playing happiness and population against one another while I worked and earned money through my factories and business districts but I'd still find myself chatting on the forums I think, at least for the short term.

I also see the benefit of saving up for something over time and was possibly one of the few players who didn't welcome the boost in cleaning revenues with 'completely' open arms. You see many posters now who reach the limits of the game quickly and hope for more content as soon as possible, this has to make it hard for the developer to balance what they do and do not add with each update and I always wonder when they do which play styles they consider?

I'm starting to think I started this topic just to supplement the interaction I feel I miss in City Story and hope you'll all stay a while? :)

Unregistered
08-24-10, 01:21 PM
Ironically, for all of my talk of social networking, I too would play an offline version with optimised management mechanics; it'd be great to have more options when playing happiness and population against one another while I worked and earned money through my factories and business districts but I'd still find myself chatting on the forums I think, at least for the short term.

I'm starting to think I started this topic just to supplement the interaction I feel I miss in City Story and hope you'll all stay a while? :)

I'm at level 29, population 2,196, happiness meter is at 19,854. My plot is only 15x15. I'm playing by mastering the keys, not really by trying to get as much funds as I can. I only have 40 items that can be cleaned plus 8 factories. Haha, I'm sure why I'm listing stats, but I guess it's to say that the fun for me is the GAME. I do like being able to visit other Cities, but just to see their city designs, which sadly, many people don't have. It's like instead of a field of strawberries, it's a field of cozy houses.

I think the game is just limiting in its social ability. If it was available on line and you could have a little window pop up on the side of your pc then, yes, it would be easier and there would be more of a community. As it stands, I really enjoy the forums and read them every day as well. I'm not much of a texter so perhaps that's why I don't like tiny typing on people's walls.

Paradise Valley
08-26-10, 02:18 PM
I'm at level 29, population 2,196, happiness meter is at 19,854. My plot is only 15x15. I'm playing by mastering the keys, not really by trying to get as much funds as I can. I only have 40 items that can be cleaned plus 8 factories. Haha, I'm sure why I'm listing stats, but I guess it's to say that the fun for me is the GAME. I do like being able to visit other Cities, but just to see their city designs, which sadly, many people don't have. It's like instead of a field of strawberries, it's a field of cozy houses.

I think the game is just limiting in its social ability. If it was available on line and you could have a little window pop up on the side of your pc then, yes, it would be easier and there would be more of a community. As it stands, I really enjoy the forums and read them every day as well. I'm not much of a texter so perhaps that's why I don't like tiny typing on people's walls.

Hey, I'm curious... what items do you get for mastering the factory keys??

UniquelyRegistered
08-26-10, 11:54 PM
Hey, I'm curious... what items do you get for mastering the factory keys??

I'm at roughly the same level, though I am in awe of that happiness rating. My little people number around the four-and-a-half thousand mark with a happiness score of just over fifteen thousand.

Anyway, I have eight factories on the go and every item I have mastered fully has rewarded me a section of river. I must have about nine by now, or around that area.