PDA

View Full Version : How old is Gemma?

coleoptera42
11-29-18, 12:21 PM
Based on the crease/wrinkle from her nose to mouth, and the eye to mouth size ratio (relative to the other characters) she looks like a middle aged woman in her late thirties to forties. But she acts like a child. What's up with that?

AnnirasSweets
11-29-18, 12:45 PM
Based on the crease/wrinkle from her nose to mouth, and the eye to mouth size ratio (relative to the other characters) she looks like a middle aged woman in her late thirties to forties. But she acts like a child. What's up with that?

Don't think they've told us anyone's specific ages but Gemma is younger than Thurston so I think she's one of the youngest in our realms.

MoonVillage3
11-29-18, 03:47 PM
Remembering when she was introduced, she was ready to learn the job of her life.. just like Thurston. I'd say she had just finished schooling, so in that era, and permitted to handle a sword, I would say she's now 19 years old, not more than 20.

AnnirasSweets
11-29-18, 08:57 PM
Remembering when she was introduced, she was ready to learn the job of her life.. just like Thurston. I'd say she had just finished schooling, so in that era, and permitted to handle a sword, I would say she's now 19 years old, not more than 20.

Sound logic and I concur that she's in her early 20s.

I went back over my Gemma dialogue pics to look at the age lines and came up with this:

It seems to me that the issue of face lines is mostly just the way she was drawn as it largely depends on how she's facing. When she stands in profile it appears Gemma has the beginning of some serious age lines. However, if she's facing us directly the lines suddenly give the impression that Gemma has full and round cheeks as many teens and young adults do. The youthful angle is what I think they were originally intending (it fits her story best) but like I said, the angle she faces changes the results greatly.

My ultimate peeve with Gemma's illustration is that in all the dialogues she's in, there's always at least one card that shows her standing with her arms positioned very awkwardly as so:

It always grabs my attention (in a bad way) and makes me wonder what this is meant to be showing me. Really, what is she doing and why is she doing it so often? I could probably write an entire page on the questions this image raises in my mind, it seriously bothers me that much.

hagypagy
11-30-18, 02:27 AM
... and makes me wonder what this is meant to be showing me. Really, what is she doing and why is she doing it so often? I could probably write an entire page on the questions this image raises in my mind, it seriously bothers me that much.

She is stretching her shield arm... must get sore holding a heavy shield all day. ;)

MoonVillage3
11-30-18, 09:37 AM
..... It always grabs my attention (in a bad way) and makes me wonder what this is meant to be showing me. Really, what is she doing and why is she doing it so often? I could probably write an entire page on the questions this image raises in my mind, it seriously bothers me that much.

She is stretching her shield arm... must get sore holding a heavy shield all day. ;)

I think more than stretching her shield arm... it's the position of holding the shield. I guess she practices so much and now her left arm naturally holds the shield position, even when gesticulating when speaking.

Lavenderdale
11-30-18, 02:09 PM
heh. I hadn't noticed. first glance is like she's wiping off the corner of her mouth.. second glance is that she's wiping a smudge off her face, as if she got dirty running around like a kid. if your hands were dirty you would use your arm. my two cents.

p.s. I tried it and my forearm doesn't reach my face. maybe it's just me, lol.

bobbyrae
12-03-18, 06:29 PM
My ultimate peeve with Gemma's illustration is that in all the dialogues she's in, there's always at least one card that shows her standing with her arms positioned very awkwardly as so:

It always grabs my attention (in a bad way) and makes me wonder what this is meant to be showing me. Really, what is she doing and why is she doing it so often? I could probably write an entire page on the questions this image raises in my mind, it seriously bothers me that much.

RIGHT???!!! Lol. Every time dialogue with Gemma pops up I want to pull her arm down. Why is it positioned like that? Is she hiding the side of her face? Is she resting it on air? Is she trying to reach her face to move the hair out of her non existent eye? Does she actually walk around like that? Why why why can she not put her arm down?

bobbyrae
12-03-18, 06:30 PM
p.s. I tried it and my forearm doesn't reach my face. maybe it's just me, lol.

It's not just you :p

VersaceMorrow
12-04-18, 10:15 AM
I think she is checking to see if her deodorant still works after practicing so many hours....

CharmOfLea
12-04-18, 08:18 PM

MoonVillage3
12-04-18, 11:54 PM
They both seem to be wiping their nose in their sleeves! ;)
Let's be more educated: they're wiping sweat from their foreheads! :rolleyes:

brigadoon365
12-17-18, 12:40 PM
I always think she is wiping her nose. Which makes me think of her as about nine years old. Weren't squires usually around the age of 12? I don't know....Personally I find Gemma annoying.

SpiritWind00
12-18-18, 12:30 AM
Maybe she's before her time and is doing a Dab! (Very 2017!):):):)