PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom Designer Ideas

jbfps116
05-13-18, 05:32 AM
Hi all, I play Castle Story for the lovely artwork, and as such, love to come up with nice Kingdom layouts instead of the random jumble that so many others have. There's such limited space though and SO many decorations and buildings, I thought i'd create a thread where we can just post Ideas and Photos of epic arrangements. [Not sure if there were any other threads on this topic in the past] It's really an art form, much like bouquet making, that forces you to think of attractive designs with limited space. Below i'm listing some topics to help generate discussion!

~Deco VS Buildings: It's always a challenge create a town or kingdom atmosphere [by using most of your epic buildings] because there's SO MUCH amazing deco. I'm mulling over a future redesign in my kingdom that will have Housing Development districts and industry, and shopping areas. With a few parks here and there.

~Walls and Roads. I know some people use neither, but we've bought and earned so much beautiful stuff that it should be on display! I'm currently in a "roads" mode as that helps keep the city design alive, but walls should not be neglected either. And the many different types of walls are a challenge to work harmoniously with. There's also the idea of walling your whole kingdom in.

~The River. I currently don't have the river as it takes up so much space, but if there's ideas on what to sacrifice to allow a river, i'd love to hear ideas. Also it's fun to make a beginning and an end to the river by using the Fairy Bridge and the Rainbow River.

~Size extremes. How do we deal with the scale of some items being so different from others?!

~Alicorns and Dragons. WE all want all our dragons and alicorns out to maximize energy and gem collection, but what is the best way to arrange them? All in one obnoxious herd to ease collection, or spread out on the board in thematic accord?

~Trees. Trees make your kingdom look more natural but take up valuable space. And there's plenty of "special" Tree deco that could take the regular's place.

~Seasonal and thematic areas. Do we have an area for all seasons? How do we handle rotation when the seasons roll around? Do we have areas for ocean, troll, and other themes, and how does this fit into the city design plan?

~Event areas. Do we reserve an area for limited time event projects so that we don't have to mess up our other designs?

~Expansions. The bane of the city planner. Is it worth it to gem the expansion permits now that we have the chance to get more via the wolf and the flygers? What's your way of getting expansion permits the fastest?

~Gardens. While needed for many quests, they really eat up space. is it better to make one large garden, have many small gardens around the board for thematic purposes. [idea: backyard gardens at people's homes, or in community gardens]

~Color Thematics. We have lots of regular color themes, tons of pink/valentine themes, now a new blue Asian theme, and other smaller color themes. What's the best way to incorporate them into the kingdom? Should the pink stuff only come out in the spring or should there be a permanent "love" area? [sounds good to me!]

~PETITION we need to petition the game developers to make a way to organize and browse our inventory WAY faster and easier then it is. It's the main thing that keeps me from redesigning is the torture of hundreds of pages of items. They could at least redesign the screens to show 6 items per page. that would help a LOT! Also a simple text list [without photos] could also be in line, then you could have them in alphabetical order and easily find what you're looking for!

~Photos. The best way to explain your awesome design plan is to share a photo!

ipaddolo
05-13-18, 06:45 AM
~PETITION we need to petition the game developers to make a way to organize and browse our inventory WAY faster and easier then it is. It's the main thing that keeps me from redesigning is the torture of hundreds of pages of items. They could at least redesign the screens to show 6 items per page. that would help a LOT! Also a simple text list [without photos] could also be in line, then you could have them in alphabetical order and easily find what you're looking for!

this, and a search bar

NorthWoodsKingdom
05-13-18, 07:29 AM
Cool thread!
I'll have to come back to it when I have more time but meanwhile, check out this old thread about kingdom designs:
https://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?35882-Show-Off-Your-Kingdom

PS. I seem to remember more threads about similar topics, too...but this was the only one I could find with a quick search.

ShibuyaCloth
05-13-18, 12:37 PM
More then 2 years old but still:
https://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?79981-Nugget-8-Organize-Your-Castle

hagypagy
05-13-18, 06:19 PM
Come check out my kingdom!

I have been working toward the ultimate design. My kingdom has a working road system and lots of trees.
It also has districts like you mentioned... shopping district , industrial district , festival grounds , residential pockets etc...

VersaceMorrow
05-14-18, 12:17 AM
This is a good idea.... I am forever trying to balance style with practicality when it comes to my kingdom. Kind of like the dilemma with shoes! :)

jbfps116
05-14-18, 04:22 AM
Come check out my kingdom!

I have been working toward the ultimate design. My kingdom has a working road system and lots of trees.
It also has districts like you mentioned... shopping district , industrial district , festival grounds , residential pockets etc...

wow nice kingdom. personally i'd not use so many trees, but i like the overall look. you stuck with the "older" CS themes of the brown road and the original walls.

DeeDeeBird70
05-15-18, 09:00 PM
I have also strived for a logical placement of items in my kingdom. So I do have themed areas, largest of which is my homage to all things pink--Love Shack included. Others are Troll, Lady Griselda and the more "wicked" things, Workshops and mines with outdoor kitchen and Tinkers Camp populated by the gnomes. The knights have their area with Barracks, tavern, horse pasture" etc. Faeries have theirs. Farm animals are not lined up nose to tail but have a nice pasture. I do have a fairly large area clear for working on whatever is need for a current even such as putting out a bunch of farmhouses or other buildings.

Do come visit my kingdom of Poicephalus And before you ask, its named after my Brown Head parrot, scientific name Poicephalus ******xanthus.

lilymonster4
05-16-18, 06:33 AM
I love this! I really want to see photos of some kingdoms that have some type of order =D
I’ll share mine but just FYI I haven’t redecorated since November and places I’ve expended and new event deco is temporarily set up. Redecorating takes hours if not days lol I think that’s what I’ll do on my birthday haha
My 3 things I’d love to change is obviously more space, easier way to navigate inventory and no path limit, I’d love to have stone path throughout my kingdom. For now I’m doing the romantic path since there’s no limit and it keeps dropping from the pink animals but it’s a bit too pink for my taste. I love to have my kingdom as practical and realistic as possible.

I like to keep my tallest buildings on the upper left and right so that they don’t block anything. I want to dedicate more space to faeries too. When I finish expending in the western corner I will redecorate and post pics =D

jbfps116
05-16-18, 10:44 AM
nice tip about the tall buildings!

jbfps116
05-16-18, 11:26 AM

Iwas hoping that highland garden would work with the rivers, but after purchasing, i doubted it would. I was pleasantly surprised when i found it does!

challais
05-16-18, 03:46 PM
Love these ideas!! I have rearranged my kingdom twice ever in 3.5 years....it IS a long and lengthy process 😊🙄 I definitely could use more ideas!! I am still finishing clearing my land....but I am getting close to being done!!! I feel like whenever I visit others? kingdoms, they are utilizing their space so much better than me. Sometimes I feel like wiping my board clean and starting from scratch, but I hate having to find everything again in inventory *sigh* Love this game though ❤️❤️

hagypagy
05-16-18, 04:41 PM

Iwas hoping that highland garden would work with the rivers, but after purchasing, i doubted it would. I was pleasantly surprised when i found it does!

Where did you get the Highland Garden from??
Never seen it before!

jbfps116
05-16-18, 05:33 PM
the Highland garden was only offered for about 2 hours as a gem gift for 20$ pack or higher a few days ago

jbfps116
05-16-18, 05:36 PM
I spent a few hours today working on my kingdom. come check it out! I utilized the idea of having taller buildings at the top. i'm not sure i totally like the alicorn parade lol but how do you handle so many alicorns and dragons attractively?! Only have about half my pink stuff out. i don't have enough room for all. anyhow, it looks better to have smaller, tastefully chosen themes instead of like 8 blocks of all pink stuff

lilymonster4
05-16-18, 05:47 PM
How do you visit someone’s kingdom from the forum?

DeeDeeBird70
05-16-18, 09:23 PM
How do you visit someone’s kingdom from the forum?

Storm ID is on the left of post and you invite them to be a neighbor and then you have the option to visit.

lilymonster4
05-17-18, 03:03 AM
Storm ID is on the left of post and you invite them to be a neighbor and then you have the option to visit.

Oh ok, I thought maybe there was an easier way. Thanks =D

MoonVillage3
05-17-18, 07:52 AM
Kindly remember to post wall asking and explaining the reason of adding.. it's much more appreciated.

janddolphins
05-17-18, 11:59 AM
So I?ve always done minor redecorating, moving one area to another etc. I have free time right now so since I New I could not finish last event as was content with rocket, baby spring, and the square rewards plus rewards below, I decided time for real change. No more boxes off sections for events with no flow to each other. Might take time, might not have every single item out, which is fine (I left energy producing, a few other important items, and those CS would not let me put away in, plus small stuff at end that would not get in the way). As someone who enjoys souvenirs my inventory clearing my board brought my souvenir pages to 455. We will see what this next event does, plenty of space this week if I need to hold back lol

janddolphins
05-18-18, 01:59 AM
Love these ideas!! I have rearranged my kingdom twice ever in 3.5 years....it IS a long and lengthy process ���� I definitely could use more ideas!! I am still finishing clearing my land....but I am getting close to being done!!! I feel like whenever I visit others? kingdoms, they are utilizing their space so much better than me. Sometimes I feel like wiping my board clean and starting from scratch, but I hate having to find everything again in inventory *sigh* Love this game though ❤️❤️

For me, I know it’s time to fix it up when I am too cluttered to make space for another event. I am the type who loves making my kingdom LOOK like a functional and realistic place one would live. And I enjoy making it look nice.

I csn still work on designing on graph paper though. If I eliminate s lot of walls, and stick to some paths and walkways, hedges here and there with gardens and small patches there....to msngciswas lol

I’m actually happy for the lack of a good first prize. I’m in a group that does not really seem to be doing much so my goal I think is ideally 4-6 for best rewards. Looks like the event won’t tske too much from my time remodeling . Of course it is holding me back some, like I want to make sure anything that can craft is our, and any animal/building that is more than 3 hr will have to come out too. I’m causuallg playing them as I pull things out

Irma_Isle
05-21-18, 07:34 AM
My current Game decoration and placement are based on Game Of Thrones map. Lol.

jbfps116
05-23-18, 06:42 AM
well i'm about 2/3 the way done with my new design! it's going better then I had hoped so far! i'm aiming for at least 2 expansion's worth of empty space to work on timed missions... we'll see how that goes!

jbfps116
05-26-18, 03:40 AM
well I just finished my Kingdom this morning! stop by and visit, and give me a rating on my wall out of ten stars! i'll be uploading pics this afternoon

echowuuu
05-26-18, 04:03 AM
I choose a theme, which in my case, pink. Before there was a limitation on the total number of walls I can store, tried to maximise the Wall to created an inner city and as I expand, I created an outer city with path and functional areas.

jbfps116
05-26-18, 08:29 AM
farm area and shopping/restaurant area and royal business area
Royal Business area, Knight training area [with four terrain types to practice on lol] plus an insane procession of alicorns and dragons to bring the most savage enemy to their knees . Also a firebird area
Residential area, town center, scientific research area, Games area, part of wild forest preserve
Romantic area, Japanese haven, exotic animals area, dark area
wild forest/troll preserve, riverside gardens, treasure/seaside shoppes

jbfps116
05-26-18, 08:29 AM
ocean area

PrincessCelestian
05-26-18, 11:22 AM
Feel free to head over to my Queendom to have a peek at what I have done. Might want to give it a few days so that all of my ponds will be put away. I have always wanted it to look like a functional kingdom. I have a Royal area with a half moat. My castle is gothic so that blends over into my permanent Halloween area. I also have the princess area where Sabina lives with Aetas and the darling damsel (one has the dainty castle and the other has to make do with the dainty cottage). I have a town area that includes the tavern, jewelers, marketplace, cathedral, kitchens, workshops, etc. I even have a theater district. And then I have Greselda?s realm. Outside of the main town walls I try and keep most of my farm deco and farm animals. Animals inside the town walls tend to be the more pet style animals. Other areas tend to change based on game needs/season etc. Right now, I have the vineyard where my apple trees live with the vineyard horse and deco (cider is made with apples S8 not with grapes). Then I have my horse area, a gnome/mushroom area, a fairy land, a rainbow land, and right now the blue Japanese area. And of course I have my permanent mermaid land.