PDA

View Full Version : Parent dragon not contributing a color in breeding,???

kat8rose
10-02-17, 04:54 PM
Been playing a while, and always believed that in breeding each dragon continues at least one color. Several times lately I have bred with a dragon that had both blue and green included with another "parent" dragon that had neither blue or green, and ended up with an island dragon 🐉.

So, can one "parent" dragon contribute nothing color wise, or am I broken?

Thanks

starship412
10-02-17, 05:00 PM
It's possible. A lot of times the elements of the other parent disappears like for example, Night and Atlantis can get you Island - the black element disappeared in that scenario.

Clark_Wayne
10-02-17, 05:17 PM
or simply, because the black split into blue and purple, so night provide blue and atlantis provide the green, and you ended with an island ;)
there are lot of types who split :
fairytale into yellow-green
egypt into white-yellow
metal into white-blue
dino into blue-red
mythic into yellow-black (or yellow-blue-purple)
rainbow into yellow blue
pink into white-red,..

kat8rose
10-02-17, 07:35 PM
Thanks, but there was no split. This last time I used a manticore, purple/white. No green or blue there. Mod, help me please and thank you.

tromalyt
10-03-17, 01:40 AM
Purple is a mix of blue and red, So there is blue in manticore.

kat8rose
10-03-17, 12:04 PM
Thanks, completely forgot that! Been a long time since I bred magic on purpose.

lintupien
10-03-17, 12:29 PM
I've been getting Volt (blue, yellow) dragons from Mist (blue, yellow) x Quetzal (green, diamond).

kat8rose
10-03-17, 09:46 PM
I've been getting Volt (blue, yellow) dragons from Mist (blue, yellow) x Quetzal (green, diamond).

Diamond has 4 colors, red, blue, yellow, and green

FireballFarm
10-03-17, 11:58 PM
Diamond has 4 colors, red, blue, yellow, and green

No, that is incorrect. Diamond does not split, and a pure Diamond Dragon can be bred with *any* 4 different colors, not just the ones you listed. Purple does not ever split into red and blue during breeding (as claimed, above). It only contributes purple to the breeding pool.

Minor types (pink, black, tropic, dino, metal, etc.) can split. The pure purple dragon (Magic) only ever contributes purple to the breeding pool, so purple is not considered a minor type. Even when the parent is a purple hybrid (like Mistmoth or Genie), the purple never splits.
Example: Genie X Forest can produce purple/yellow dragons, purple/greens, green/yellows, purple/green/yellows, and the pure Fairytale Dragon (from yellow in one parent, green in the other). No blues or reds to be found because purple never splits.

There is also a group called sub-minor types. Sub-minor types don't ever pass on to offspring. They can't. There are two groups of sub-minors: the old ones and the new ones. They are slightly different, but neither group can pass on it's sub-minor type.

The old sub-minor types act as nulls in the breeding den. The type has no effect, whatsoever, on breeding. Valentine, soccer, and pyramid are examples old sub-minor types.
Leftheart and Rightheart (both are valentine/red/blue) behave as regular old red/blue hybrids in the den. They will never, ever pass on the valentine-type to offspring. They can't. The Passion Dragon (pure valentine-type) can't even be placed in the breeding den. He's a complete null when it comes to breeding.

The newer sub-minor types always split into some or all of their component types. Examples of new sub-minor types are: dark, flower, arcane, elemental, spooky, fey, etc. Most of the new monthly types are new sub-minors. Where the old sub-minor types were nulls in the den with no effect, the new sub-minors always split. Different rules, but same result: they can't pass on their sub-minor type.

Examples for clarity on breeding with a minor vs. sub-minor: the Fairytale Dragon can pass on the (minor) fairytale type or it splits and passes on green and/or yellow. Similarly, the pink/purple Origami Dragon can pass on (minor) pink to it's offspring if the pink doesn't split. But, the Werewolf Dragon will never, ever pass on the (sub-minor) spooky type. It can't. Also, look at how we have to breed the Werewolf Dragon. It's a spooky/purple hybrid, so common sense would say to combine a spooky-type dragon and a purple-type dragon, right? Nope. We have to combine black x purple becaue spooky cannot be passed on through the breeding den.
Note: Dark Prime Chrono and The Dark One are (were?) oddballs. These two were introduced as one-offs during the Corrupted storyline, back before the new sub-minors and their breeding rules came into existence. Because of their dark/corrupted-type, they couldn't be placed in the breeding den. Will have to do some checking to see if that has changed as of Oct. 2018 and the re-introduction of the dark-type.

Back to Diamond Types ...

The diamond type, in general, behaves as a primary color. The pure diamond dragons (the Diamond Dragon and the Infinity Dragon) do have their own, unique behaviors as a parents, but they never split into other colors. Diamond X Infinity is a special combo because it can produce any pure-type dragon (like the Fire Dragon, Water Dragon, Fairytale Dragon, Metal Dragon, Cosmic Dragon, Air Dragon, Stone Dragon, Magic Dragon, etc.) But, that unique behavior is is *not* a split. Breeding the Diamond or Infinity Dragon with hybrids has more complex results- it all depends on the hybrid's type(s). It's too much, there are too many variables, to try and explain it all here. :D One thing never changes, though: the ultra rare diamond-type only has about a 1% chance of passing on to offspring. It almost always disappears and you get a non-diamond offspring.

The diamond-type in a diamond hybrid (like in the Crusader or Mercury Dragon) also does not ever split. The diamond-type in diamond hybrids behaves like a primary color.
An example: Mercury X Air only has 13 outcomes: all 9 of the blue/yellow hybrid dragons, the 2 diamond/blues, the 1 diamond/yellow, and the pure Rainbow dragon (from blue in one parent, yellow in the other). The diamond-type acts just like a primary color- an ultra rare primary color, but a primary, nonetheless.

As for the original question: yes, it is possible for one parent to not contribute anything to the offspring.
For example, when breeding Atlantis (green/blue) X Air (yellow), you can get any of the green/blue dragons as your outcome.
(But, you can't get a Gemstone Dragon from this combo because the blue and the green are both on the same side. If you bred a Forest (green) X Mist (blue/yellow), for example, you could get a Gemstone Dragon because the blue and the green are now on opposite sides.)

Edited: I just re-read this and realized I shouldn't have used Peacock in the examples. I removed it from the 2 places it was mentioned.

Peacock (and a handful of other dragons) is special because it has a hidden color. How much more confusing can this breeding stuff get, amirite? :D Peacock may *look* like a pure purple dragon, but he actually has yellow as a hidden color. So, he's really a purple/yellow hybrid. You can get a Peacock by combining purple and yellow and, when using Peacock as a breeding parent, it contributes both purple and yellow to the breeding pool.

Right now, off the top of my head, the only other dragon with a hidden color I can think of is Black Swan.
Black Swan looks like a pure pink, but has black as a hidden color.
I'll compile a list of the other dragons with hidden colors and post it here sometime in the next day or two. :)

Edited: Here is a list of dragons that appear to be single-colored but actually have a hidden color(s).
I may have missed a couple, and I only included the ones that matter for breeding purposes:

https://i.imgur.com/FnC2n4S.jpg

amalsaba
10-12-17, 04:57 PM
No, that is incorrect. Diamond does not split, and a pure Diamond Dragon can be bred with any 4 colors, not just the ones you listed. Purple does not ever split into red and blue during breeding (as claimed, above). It only contributes purple to the breeding pool.

Only minor types (pink, black, tropic, dino, metal, etc.) can split. Since the pure purple dragons (Magic or Peacock) only ever contribute purple to the breeding pool, purple it is not considered a minor type. Even when the parent is a purple hybrid (like Mistmoth or Genie), the purple never splits.
An example: Genie X Forest can produce purple/yellow dragons, purple/greens, green/yellows, purple/green/yellows, and the pure Fairytale Dragon (from yellow in one parent, green in the other). No blues or reds to be found since purple never splits.

The pure diamond dragons (the Diamond and Infinity Dragon) do have their own, unique behaviors as a parents, but they never split into other colors. The diamond-type in a diamond hybrid (like in the Crusader or Mercury Dragon) also does not ever split. The diamond-type in diamond hybrids behaves like a primary color.
An example: Mercury X Air only has 13 outcomes: all 9 of the blue/yellow hybrid dragons, the 2 diamond/blues, the 1 diamond/yellow, and the pure Rainbow dragon (from blue in one parent, yellow in the other). The diamond-type acts just like a primary color.
Diamond X Infinity is a special combo because it can produce any pure-type dragon (Fire Dragon, Water Dragon, Fairytale Dragon, Metal Dragon, Cosmic Dragon, Air Dragon, Stone Dragon, Peacock Dragon, etc.) But, that unique behavior is is not a split. Breeding Diamond/Infinity with hybrids has more complex results- it all depends on the hybrid's type(s). It's too much, there are too many variables, to try and explain it all here. :D I highly recommend checking out and playing around with one of the breeding calculators to better understand how breeding works. The rules of parents' behavior are also listed, in detail, on other sites.

As for the original question: yes, it is possible for one parent to not contribute anything to the offspring.
For example, when breeding Atlantis (green/blue) X Air (yellow), you can get any of the green/blue dragons as your outcome.
(But, you can't get a Gemstone Dragon from this combo because the blue and the green are both on the same side. If you bred a Forest (green) X Mist (blue/yellow), for example, you could get a Gemstone Dragon because the blue and the green are now on opposite sides.)

What a great explanation! I knew this stuff but still great for other players to know. I learnt so much about this game from players like yourself who are willing to explain and help others to understand this game better. Have a great day!

starship412
10-12-17, 06:58 PM
FireballFarm is right on the Diamond. It never breaks down. It just stays there or disappears (in more cases).

ragecloset
10-17-18, 07:25 AM
I don’t think it matters much what dragons you choose to breed. I‘ve played for several years and I found that it seems pretty random. I just bred a black and a pink type dragons and got a neo bubble which is blue and purple?? This has happened several times with different type dragons. I’ve bred a neo bubble many times using various color type dragons. Breeding specific type dragons only seems to work well during an event. I wish Storm8 would correct this.

RhodryMaelwaedd
10-17-18, 09:08 AM
I don’t think it matters much what dragons you choose to breed. I‘ve played for several years and I found that it seems pretty random. I just bred a black and a pink type dragons and got a neo bubble which is blue and purple?? This has happened several times with different type dragons. I’ve bred a neo bubble many times using various color type dragons. Breeding specific type dragons only seems to work well during an event. I wish Storm8 would correct this.

Black can split into blue and purple, so i dont see what's so strange about your example.

Phoenix406
10-17-18, 09:58 AM
Black can split into blue and purple, so i dont see what's so strange about your example.
Not everyone is aware of the splitting behaviors. To me, the splits are stupid. This is the only game I know that does that. Most games you breed two parents and you know what traits the offspring will have. It seems like TeamLava wanted to make this game as difficult and confusing as possible.

AnnirasSweets
10-17-18, 10:18 AM
Not everyone is aware of the splitting behaviors. To me, the splits are stupid. This is the only game I know that does that. Most games you breed two parents and you know what traits the offspring will have. It seems like TeamLava wanted to make this game as difficult and confusing as possible.

This is very true. Even though I've been playing this game from the start, I still have charts that show breeding splits on my PC for easy reference. You would think that after all this time I would just know this stuff but as stated, there are so many splits that it's nearly impossible for me to recall without getting confused occasionally, lol. I swear, the only reason I opened a Google Drive is so that I'd have somewhere to store all my s8 data that was cluttering up my PC!

FireballFarm
10-17-18, 07:56 PM
The splitting and the breeding rules have gotten ridiculous. The excessive typing has been bothering me for a few months, and now I'm fully seeing how absurd the game has gotten after looking at this thread. I saw an old post of mine and decided to add a new -little- paragraph about sub-minor types since we are now getting a new one nearly every month and we weren't back then. It took me a freakin' hour and 4 paragraphs to explain it clearly. What seemed simple at first: "hey, these weird new types always split and, unlike minor types, are incapable of passing on their spooky/elemental/dark/etc. type" ... Simple, right? Then I remembered how the old sub-minor types, like valentine and pyramid, work. Differently. And the whole dark thing is just a mess, too. Remember the corrupted storyline? The handful of dark dragons we collected back then could not be used for breeding because they were corrupted. Can't even put them in the den. But, now that old dark/corrupted type pops up again with no mention of corruption, like it's just another worthless, throw-away monthly type. Which I guess it is now. These new types are shark-jumping garbage.

I only know all this stuff because I have been playing for years and learned as we went. And because I love doing research. I can't even imagine what a nightmare it must be for new players to try and figure this stuff out-- things like how the minor split rule applies to the event commons. Do they even know what a minor type dragon is? And how splits work? The game certainly doesn't explain any it. How many of them are putting the required colors on the same side and getting endless fails? And eventually quit because can't breed a dumb common? I feel bad for them and really hope they aren't throwing money away on a dead end every month. The whole thing is just so slimy and shady.

I have a feeling it's all of these things. Whatever the problem, the game has devolved into a hot mess. Do they really wonder why players aren't bending over backwards to dump all their hard-earned money into this convoluted, uneven, unstable mess? Ugh.

Phoenix406
10-18-18, 09:59 AM
The splitting and the breeding rules have gotten ridiculous. The excessive typing has been bothering me for a few months, and now I'm fully seeing how absurd the game has gotten after looking at this thread. I saw an old post of mine and decided to add a new -little- paragraph about sub-minor types since we are now getting a new one nearly every month and we weren't back then. It took me a freakin' hour and 4 paragraphs to explain it clearly. What seemed simple at first: "hey, these weird new types always split and, unlike minor types, are incapable of passing on their spooky/elemental/dark/etc. type" ... Simple, right? Then I remembered how the old sub-minor types, like valentine and pyramid, work. Differently. And the whole dark thing is just a mess, too. Remember the corrupted storyline? The handful of dark dragons we collected back then could not be used for breeding because they were corrupted. Can't even put them in the den. But, now that old dark/corrupted type pops up again with no mention of corruption, like it's just another worthless, throw-away monthly type. Which I guess it is now. These new types are shark-jumping garbage.

I only know all this stuff because I have been playing for years and learned as we went. And because I love doing research. I can't even imagine what a nightmare it must be for new players to try and figure this stuff out-- things like how the minor split rule applies to the event commons. Do they even know what a minor type dragon is? And how splits work? The game certainly doesn't explain any it. How many of them are putting the required colors on the same side and getting endless fails? And eventually quit because can't breed a dumb common? I feel bad for them and really hope they aren't throwing money away on a dead end every month. The whole thing is just so slimy and shady.

I have a feeling it's all of these things. Whatever the problem, the game has devolved into a hot mess. Do they really wonder why players aren't bending over backwards to dump all their hard-earned money into this convoluted, uneven, unstable mess? Ugh.

OMG! If I could reach through the computer and hug you, I would (assuming you aren't squeamish about being touched of course!) :) :) :) :) <3 <3 <3

cat_chick10
10-19-18, 10:10 AM
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it doesn't matter which parent contributes what? Just that once all the colours are in the pool, there can be any possible outcome with them, even if the two colours just come from one parent.

i.e. Island + Firestorm could give you a blue/green dragon or a yellow/red dragon even if those two colours only came from one parent.