PDA

View Full Version : The new "star" button - a thread to play/test in...

Indryia
09-16-17, 05:32 AM
Is the forum changing? Did it have a beauty appointment ? Or I am just losing my minds?

These things are new or they always were there ?

PS. I know its not really a game question and its kind of off topic ... thats why I was wondering ... what if we have an off topic thread on here?
I know it is one on the S8 general forum, but it might be more handy in this section, just for CS players waiting for collections haha

Hi all, here's some info about this button :) SW

Hi all, the star button below other players posts (you don't see it on your own posts) is called a reputation button (you can use a search engine to find more info if you're interested). Elsa has added it (probably only temporarily) as well as the date change format. We're just testing some new features.

So, what happens is you click on the star you can add a comment about the post - I tested it on someone here (can't rememember who! sorry!) and left an "I approve". It's adds a green box next to your name. The more other players click on the "I approve" button, the more green boxes you get. If you want to test it, use posts here in this thread :). I couldn't find where I can see the comments you can also leave, but maybe that feature is still turned off. Not sure. It's an interesting button, but not sure it has value here. What I was looking at was a Like/Thanks feature which for our forum would be more practical.

I'll make a new thread so you can practice and have fun in. If the feature is removed, then I can just delete the thread. :) Don't leave any mean comments though ok even if you use the "I disapprove" button.

tvangstanke
09-16-17, 05:58 AM
Is the forum changing? Did it have a beauty appointment ? Or I am just losing my minds?

These things are new or they always were there ?

PS. I know its not really a game question and its kind of off topic ... thats why I was wondering ... what if we have an off topic thread on here?
I know it is one on the S8 general forum, but it might be more handy in this section, just for CS players waiting for collections haha

You're right, this is new. The star is some kind of reputation button. However I don't see the green icon on my screen. What happens when you click it?

Indryia
09-16-17, 06:10 AM
You're right, this is new. The star is some kind of reputation button. However I don't see the green icon on my screen. What happens when you click it?

Hahahaha !

meme1098
09-16-17, 06:15 AM

I saw the stars yesterday but the green thingy is absent from mine too.

Also, noticed yesterday the month is now spelled out on the post dates. It used to be the number format before.

tvangstanke
09-16-17, 06:27 AM

Hahahaha !

At last, I'm gangsta!

tvangstanke
09-16-17, 06:34 AM

Also, noticed yesterday the month is now spelled out on the post dates. It used to be the number format before.

You are probably on the notorious list too 😎
The new date format is an improvement, regarded with non-American eyes.

Indryia
09-16-17, 06:38 AM

Maybe because I have the forum opened on my computer (Windows)

I hope we can have avatars too now.

PrincessCupOButter
09-16-17, 07:41 AM
I can see the green thingy, but cannot click on it. Bummer, it would be fun to see everyone's descriptions. Lol
The star lets me approve of a post and add comments. S8's version of the "like" button perhaps?

tvangstanke
09-16-17, 08:02 AM

Excellent suggestion. Avatars would add an extra dimension to the forum.

I can see the green thingy, but cannot click on it. Bummer, it would be fun to see everyone's descriptions. Lol
The star lets me approve of a post and add comments. S8's version of the "like" button perhaps?

Yes, this forum needs that. So many enjoyable posts deserving recognition for saying it as it is, for solving problems, for making us laugh, or for turning despair into (dark) comedy.

meme1098
09-16-17, 08:27 AM

Hmmmmmm...I'll have to try that later on my laptop.

SpiritWind00
09-16-17, 04:49 PM
Hi all, the star button below other players posts (you don't see it on your own posts) is called a reputation button (you can use a search engine to find more info if you're interested). Elsa has added it (probably only temporarily) as well as the date change format. We're just testing some new features.

So, what happens is you click on the star you can add a comment about the post - I tested it on someone here (can't rememember who! sorry!) and left an "I approve". It's adds a green box next to your name. The more other players click on the "I approve" button, the more green boxes you get. If you want to test it, use posts here in this thread :). I couldn't find where I can see the comments you can also leave, but maybe that feature is still turned off. Not sure. It's an interesting button, but not sure it has value here. What I was looking at was a Like/Thanks feature which for our forum would be more practical.

I'll make a new thread so you can practice and have fun in. If the feature is removed, then I can just delete the thread. :) Don't leave any mean comments though ok even if you use the "I disapprove" button.

edit:
Don't know why the green button isn't visible when you leave then come back to the thread? This message came up: "You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice."

ktorewqas
09-16-17, 07:31 PM
What's this? I can not press star more than once for the same person lol how do I spread more reputation :D

Den8137259
09-16-17, 08:32 PM
Hey all, I have a habit of adding stars ★ like this ★ on my posts, and suddenly I have a contender lol ★ (:

Den8137259
09-16-17, 08:37 PM
One more comment on the Reputation Button!

Cos it's shaped like a star ★ with 6-points instead of 5, it sure could make people think it's "favouriting" or "flagging" a post (: as opposed to "adding reputation" to the post/person ★ (:

tvangstanke
09-16-17, 11:44 PM
What's this? I can not press star more than once for the same person lol how do I spread more reputation :D

LOL, thanks Ktorewqas :D No sign on my profile page of this recent climb in reputation, but I already feel less outlaw...

cavegirl1
09-16-17, 11:56 PM

edit:
Don't know why the green button isn't visible when you leave then come back to the thread? This message came up: "You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice."
Tried this out on your post SW. Didn't see a 'disapprove' button - only an approve one (which is a good thing I think - overall I mean - don't mean I would disapprove a post by SW!!!)

If the green button is the thing under 'moderator' etc, I see that next to everyone so not sure what that means.

I agree, just a 'like' option for a post, rather than for the person posting, would be good. Reputation seems to spread here anyway - we tend to know the champs of the forum :)

SpiritWind00
09-17-17, 12:31 AM
Oh that's interesting - and kinda funny! :) I can't see a way to see the comments, so maybe that part hasn't been turned on as it's just a testing thing.... who's gonna volunteer a post for me to 'disapprove' and test!

cavegirl1
09-17-17, 12:33 AM
Oh that's interesting - and kinda funny! :) I can't see a way to see the comments, so maybe that part hasn't been turned on as it's just a testing thing.... who's gonna volunteer a post for me to 'disapprove' and test!

Feel free to disapprove mine - maybe only a moderator can do this ?

tvangstanke
09-17-17, 12:40 AM

*cursing and acting out a rabid tantrum* :mad:

SpiritWind00
09-17-17, 12:41 AM
Ok, so it still gives you a green square, but the message I got thanked me for removing some of your reputation! I really need a photographic memory!

SpiritWind00
09-17-17, 12:43 AM
*cursing and acting out a rabid tantrum* :mad:
Oh haha! It didn't let me add anything cause I'd added to your page 1 posts! Nice tantrum though... ;)

cavegirl1
09-17-17, 12:53 AM
LOL. So nice you were thanked for removing my reputation ;)

tvangstanke
09-17-17, 12:56 AM
Oh haha! It didn't let me add anything cause I'd added to your page 1 posts! Nice tantrum though... ;)
Oh, now I get it! (I think)
You can actually only ever give one single approval (+1) to any single forum member. Or you can remove your approval again later. 0 or 1. A binary kind of rating system.

If so, I agree that 'likes' would be a better option. We should rate the posts, not the persons.

cavegirl1
09-17-17, 12:59 AM
Found this under settings - can see a red flag there and there is some sort of points system

SpiritWind00
09-17-17, 01:01 AM
LOL. So nice you were thanked for removing my reputation ;)
I know right! Such a polite feature isn't it.

@tvang, it does look it works like that. Person vs post.

SpiritWind00
09-17-17, 01:19 AM
Found this under settings - can see a red flag there and there is some sort of points system
Ah cool, thanks! Yes the red was me... Which I can see on my settings page. I have one grey too. I went to your profile but couldn't see your list. It's interesting isn't it!

ktorewqas
09-17-17, 08:24 AM
I don't see a disapprove button either. It could be only available to mod :)

comeseecomesah
09-17-17, 10:13 AM
Oh, now I get it! (I think)
You can actually only ever give one single approval (+1) to any single forum member. Or you can remove your approval again later. 0 or 1. A binary kind of rating system.

If so, I agree that 'likes' would be a better option. We should rate the posts, not the persons.

Yes I think likes on posts would be better, and would give people who don't like posting an easier/quicker way to vote their opinion. Could also keep this approval system for fun maybe.

tvangstanke
09-17-17, 11:22 AM
Yes I think likes on posts would be better, and would give people who don't like posting an easier/quicker way to vote their opinion. Could also keep this approval system for fun maybe.

Good point. More people would throw in their vote. Would also limit the many repeated posts that come about because good posts get lost in the swarm. Skimming through high rated posts is a good way to update oneself on the highlights of topics discussed over 70+ pages.

bobbyrae
09-17-17, 01:35 PM
I agree with being able to like a post. Not sure how that feature would limit repeated posts though?

sunnyhook
10-05-17, 04:30 PM
I do not see this "star" everyone is talking about. Can someone point me in the right direction. It doesn't show up on any of these posts. I tried clicking on the screen name of the person who posted and it went to a profile, but I didn't see a star symbol there either. I am on the mobile version on an iPhone, if that makes a difference. Thanks ya'll.

meme1098
10-05-17, 05:22 PM
S8 pulled it after several hours. They no longer exist.

SpiritWind00
10-05-17, 06:45 PM
I can still see the stars on posts, but the who functionality wasn't released from what I understand about the button from my own research. I'm going to unsticky this thread now... :)