Thread: Dinglehoppers, *giggle*

Rhino Keeper

Dinglehoppers, *giggle*

Did anyone catch this? Well, you would have had to be into Disney movies in the '90's - well, or later, depending on release dates - or have young kids. In the mermaid outfit, the final item is a fork looking item called "dinglehoppers". That's STRAIGHT out of "The Little Mermaid." Sebastian the Crab would make up uses for what "human" items they found in the ocean - or maybe it was on the beach. He called a fork a dinglehopper, and explained to Ariel that it was used for combing hair. So when she met Prince Eric (I think that's what his name was), and had dinner at his palace with his, I guess his family, she excitedly picked up her fork and started combing her hair with it, until everyone stared at her.

Just made me giggle.

Oh, and just to note - the original fairy tale - I think it was Hans Christian Andersen (?) - if Eric hadn't have fallen in love with her, not only would she have lost her legs, but she wouldn't have been a mermaid anymore, so she would have effectively died.

Rhino Keeper
    Actually the prince doesn't fall in love with her but in someone else and marry her! On their wedding day the little mermaid joins the daughters of the air, spirits who strive to do good deeds to earn a soul after 300 years. Boy was Hans Christian Andersen tough on his young readers.
    I like Disney's version a lot better.

Fashion Designer
    I definitely caught this! I love that movie so much, I've seen it at least 100 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Annica5 View Post
    Boy was Hans Christian Andersen tough on his young readers.
    I wasn't there but I'm not sure the concept of a young reader in his time existed. His stories were for adults, so more inline with greek tragedies and shakespeare than fairy tales. To be honest, I think the lessons taught in the original stories, do more to teach people about the difficulties of the real world than the happy joy joy modern day version. Then again every child is entitled to a happy childhood too

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by JustKay View Post
    I wasn't there but I'm not sure the concept of a young reader in his time existed. His stories were for adults, so more inline with greek tragedies and shakespeare than fairy tales. To be honest, I think the lessons taught in the original stories, do more to teach people about the difficulties of the real world than the happy joy joy modern day version. Then again every child is entitled to a happy childhood too
    You're so right! I just read up on this and Andersen definitely wrote for an adult audience, it's like complaining about how bad Game of Thrones is for children. Weird tho, I'm in Sweden and Andersen's tales are children's classics here, read them all as soon as I could read. Might have been "adapted" for children. Remember sobbing over some

I loved The Little Mermaid!😄💕Its my favorite Disney movie!

Rhino Keeper
    I still laugh when I order this and place it in my shop!