Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Bakery Holiday Suggestion Thread 9-11-14

Farm Supplier
    New Years stuff that comes out before New Years. For New Years 2014 we had like one day to set out our New Years decor. We either got it Dec 31 or Jan 1. Frustrating. You know that might have been in RS... can't quite recall now (it's too early, haven't had my coffee) anyway, New Years stuff with enough time to enjoy it.

Rhino Keeper
    Pumpkins, pumpkins, pumpkins. Candy corn items and recipes. New recipes geared towards halloween and fall. Maybe allowing last years items to come back around again. Trick-or-treat sign with a candy bowl. Halloween shaped cookies ( witches, ghosts, bats, pumpkins, ect. ) cake pops, suckers. Deep fried things ( Oreos, snickers, ect. )

Yes I would love to have all that is listed decorations for holidays and bring back retired items. All that is mentioned from decorations to receipes sound great for both BS and RS.

Rhino Keeper
    Christmas music for the holidays would be nice...kind of like Charlie Brown style. Lol!

Rhino Keeper
    Christmas lights, people around a lit up Christmas tree. Reindeer, pretty Christmas carpet/rug.

Moderator (volunteer) pixiegamer's Avatar

Lightbulb

Just had another idea for November goals: THAI! Based around the Thai floating lantern festival Loi Krathong. Suggestions as follows:

LOI KRATHONG
    -Drinks: Cha Yen, Cha Manao, and Nam Manao King (Thai Tea, Lime Tea, and Lime Water with Ginger, respectively)

-Foods: Khao Neeo Mamuang (Mango Sticky Rice), Sankaya (Thai Pumpkin Custard - would also go well for the traditional American Thanksgiving theme), Khanom Mor Gaeng (Egg Custard)

-Wall decorations: Carved Wooden Squares like the ones below would be great! But even better would be the Yarn Ball Lamps, since it's a lantern festival

-Wallpaper: Sky Lanterns, like these:

-Floor Tile: A Water Tile would be great for this, since people set their lanterns afloat in the water as well as the sky in this festival

-Floor Decorations: A family/couple setting out their lanterns (like in the picture above), Lotus Flowers to be set on the water tiles, and maybe some Hovering or Floating Lanterns to complete the feel

It would be great to see if this could be done, and would add some diversity to Bakery Story! I hope it's considered

Executive Chef
    as much as i'm pro-diversity, and would definitely second such suggestions at any other time of year, when it comes to holidays, i am a total traditionalist. i'd like a new pie oven--i know we already have the major thanksgiving pies covered, so maybe a mini-pie oven? and we have candy corn cupcakes, but how about cookies shaped like big candy corns? i love the leafy cut out cookies on whatever that fall oven is called, but what about other shapes? or baked stuffed fruits, those are yummy with ice cream.

how about a homemade christmas--since last year was all bright lights, this would be the complete opposite. we could ask our neighbors for popcorn/cranberries before we buy the wall decor of strings of them (i'm thinking a triple swag thing, since single strings might be underwhelming). and i don't know about you guys, but i'm always baking food gifts, like the gift wrapped fudge from last year. i know people eat it in bakery so it's kind of strange to have it gift wrapped, but whatever.

or we could host a cookie exchange, and have to prepare beverages to share with our friends who are attending (drink appliance: a new flavor of hot chocolate, a specialty christmas tea or coffee, and punch that's served in a bowl) and then have to bake 3 kinds of cookies to trade (the bakery patrons can have some too, since obviously we make a ton of them in our professional ovens). my christmas cookies tend toward sugar & gingerbread, which we already have, but moravian spice i think is traditional. snickerdoodles maybe? chocolate pinwheels? or just tree shaped sugar cookies (i can't remember what's on the holiday ovens, so that may be repetitive). i think a holiday cookie table would be a good midway decoration.

i do like the day of the dead suggestion, though. the sugar skulls were really cool.
    I go by varying numbers of utensils in BS, and cafe lula, welcome cafe, and zephyr cafe in RS (just so you know it's me--you can't add me by those).
    I always love to visit well-designed or creative bakeries & restaurants!

Rhino Keeper
    Please make black Friday a big deal bring a lot of decor back the more tl brings out the more people will buy gems. Maybe bring back getting a special item for buying gems.I still think for black Friday tl should offer to unlock old goals for gems like offer several different goals you can buy and than unlock than get to do the goals you unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by twospoons View Post
    as much as i'm pro-diversity, and would definitely second such suggestions at any other time of year, when it comes to holidays, i am a total traditionalist. i'd like a new pie oven--i know we already have the major thanksgiving pies covered, so maybe a mini-pie oven? and we have candy corn cupcakes, but how about cookies shaped like big candy corns? i love the leafy cut out cookies on whatever that fall oven is called, but what about other shapes? or baked stuffed fruits, those are yummy with ice cream.
    Normally, I would agree with you about the traditional holiday themes; however, for Thanksgiving especially, I feel like whatever typically comes to mind when one thinks of the holiday has already been done: pies, like you mentioned, are already covered by the basic oven appliance; Corn Bread is available via the Clay Oven; Winter Wedding goals earlier this year gave us three new cider recipes; puddings and fudge were introduced over the summer; etc. Even cheesecake is ruled out because that was last year's theme.

Looking at autumn as a whole rather than Thanksgiving paints a similar picture. We have an autumn oven with the leaf cookies; plenty of autumn recipes on the basic oven (to name a few: cake, cookies, caramel and candy apples, apple cupcakes, cinnamon rolls); hot apple cider on the drink mixer; and apple and cranberry juices on the fruit juicer. It's possible we could get savory goal recipes, if TL decides to go with Thanksgiving goals, but if the reaction to the St. Patrick's Day goal recipes were any indication, that might not go over too well with some people.

I'd love to see some more traditional Autumn/Thanksgiving stuff come to Bakery Story as regular updates (and this includes my pear suggestion on the other page - as much as I would love six new pear recipes, I think it's much better suited to appear as a regular update rather than a goal set), but I think there are enough recipes to constitute an Autumn/Thanksgiving theme in any bakery that chooses to do so - which is why I would like to see goals centered around something else. Many countries in southeast Asia celebrate a festival of lights in October/November, so Loi Krathong (November 7 this year) goals seemed like a good fit. As a compromise, the two suggested custard recipes could easily fit into a more traditional Thanksgiving-themed bakery (and even the teas to some extent).

If TL does decide to go with traditional Thanksgiving goals, however, I hope they incorporate international festivals/holidays into updates for other months/goals.

On the topic of November updates, since TL has been doing a few birthstone updates this year (amethyst in February and peridot in August), I thought to take a look at what November's birthstone was. Apparently, there are two!

Citrine and Topaz (left and right, respectively). They're both so pretty! I wonder if we'll get a topaz/citrine update. I could definitely see them going well in an autumn bakery

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast