Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Battle Thread Part III

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by hugpete View Post
    My battles cost 4000 coins, recently up from 3500. I think the price depends on level.
    Oh probably! Something to look forward too though eh? Lol

New Resident

Can you win a tournament without using ultimate attack?

Just curious if anyone has ever done this.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by antsloth View Post
    Can you win a tournament without using ultimate attack?
    Yes, many times. I've won probably 2/3 of my tournaments without gold. I even won several tournaments without gold before I had any diamonds, but that was before TL started adding Champions to the lineup though--currently I think it would be next to impossible to win a tourney without using ultimate if you didn't have any diamonds. It takes a lot of dedication though; you have to be able to battle at almost every opportunity.

Executive Chef
    I can't - i did once, my first tournament, because i was off from work and could play more or less every hour, i also set alarm a few times to wake up and battle - but in general my work doesn't allow me to play that frequently, and if i on top of that like to enjoy free time on weekends.....

It is set up so that you're supposed to use gold to get through tournaments, preferably spend money buying that gold too ofc lol. In theory i think you can do it without gold, if you can play hourly, but then most still can't since the lottery ways of tourneys often gives you runs of losses - very often you get some weak low level opponent beating up your maxed out higher ranked dragon over and over again in a most illogical and annoying way!

But, there'll always be those claiming they did it without gold, and they probably did - TL must've set the events up so that some win that way, to get hopes up for the rest of us - if all had to struggle always i doubt ppl would stay playing, but as long as some have it easier we'll keep hoping that it's our turn next time!
    Signature hmm...if i actually get this working i's just like to say that Cheez Dooodles and Coca Cola is good for you, perhaps not very good, but still! And, not accepting any more random neighbor requests, say something first, plz! Have a great day!

Fashion Designer
    Yes, but you need to be able to log in a LOT. If you can log in hourly, starting from the first day, you have a decent chance of finishing. If you use gold to speed rounds, you can make it even if you can't log in hourly. Plenty of people have finished without ultimate.

But the shorter the tournament is, the more you have to play hourly or use a shortcut. There are usually maybe 4-6 dragons that can take a day or more to beat, in the 6 day tournaments. So unless you can log in often enough, you run out of time.

Fashion Designer
    Green - yellow dragons ...

Not sure if these tips are helpful or just tldr, but I thought might be good to bring up the green yellow non breedable dragons cuz of all the people who had trouble with rune.

With all the ones that came out st paddy's day, these removed green yellows are going to keep showing up, and the best chances are harder to craft/breed gemstone dragons, pink and black hybrids especially goblin, justice, mask, and various super rare zodiac, cosmic, Dino, mythic. I had none of them so I tried breeding quartz (sapphire plus virtue, so I had a chance at cherry blossom) and got my quartz pretty fast.

I'd just evolved it to level 4 when tourney started and fed it to 6. It did pretty well too, until rune (green yellow not breedable) which was 10 levels higher. Pretty happy with how it did, but still not happy with my options against green-yellow. I saw in one of the recent tourneys people were using Egypt against green-yellow too. Wondering what other people are using? Anyone trying to breed something for them?

Fashion Designer
    Spending gold vs. spending time

In case it's helpful to anyone, thought I'd comment how I decide whether or not to spend gold in tournaments. Basically gold saves time, and makes it possible to win a tournament that would otherwise take too many hours.

Basic stats: for 6 day 30 round tournaments, there are 2-3 champs that can take 10 or more battles each, plus up to 5 diamond and diamond hybrids that without diamonds can be 5-10 hours each. At least that is the norm on my island.

In a day, I can usually do 10-12 battles. Sometimes more, especially if I use gold to reduce time between battles to 30-45 minutes. It takes me one or more days of trying or 30 gold for ultimate for every champion dragon. Every diamond is a half day, plus at least one ultimate for whichever diamond just won't lose. For a tournament like the last one, with 5 diamonds and 3 champs, that's 5 1/2 days just for the hardest dragons, possible only if I catch it at the start and have extra time on weekend, speeding a few rounds.

If I don't catch it at the start, that's 20-30 gold for ultimate or speeding rounds to get extra time. If I can't play as much on weekend (this last one was Mother's Day here), then speeding and ultimate for 2-3 rounds, about 90 gold. Plus there is always a dragon that's unexpectedly difficult for no reason, which is either one day or 30 gold. Really pushing it to finish in 6 days.

I rarely spend gold before round 20, except 1-2 each time when I speed the waiting time between battles, not often. I wait til round 20, check the list of all upcoming battles and how much time left, then guess how much it will cost to finish. For this last tourney, got a late start and didn't get to round 20 til day 3. With 3 days left and all the tough battles ahead, plus Mother's Day so less time and more gold needed to speed, would have cost me 200-300 gold. In the 3 days I'd get less than 30 battles in without gold and that's just 3 tries per dragon, not possible at all, so the only way to get the dragon was spend at least 200 gold, and probably a lot more, for me anyway - other people have different experience. If you know what is normal for your island, then you can have a pretty good idea if you will win - a lot depends on what dragons you have. With diamonds, the odds of taking out the diamond hybrids in 2-3 tries go up and it can really cut the time needed to battle.

I don't know how anyone else decides, but that's how I do it. If I want the dragon for what it will probably cost me, I spend. If not, I don't use ultimate at all and try to at least get to round 25 and win all the gold rounds. It's always possible I just get crazy lucky, and if I win a lot without gold and it costs a lot less, then I might spend. I only know what stuff will cost me from doing a LOT of these things and getting toward the end and not winning, having spent as much gold as I was willing to spend, so that's why I try to guess before I use the first ultimate.

Host(ess)
    This is a useful tool. Scroll down where you can choose the opponent and level. Easier time choosing who to use!

[Removed third party link]
    Last edited by kooky panda; 05-14-14 at 02:18 PM. Reason: removed third party link

Host(ess)
    I won the last tournament for the first time without using gold. Got it done early Sunday morning.

Rhino Keeper
    I think I'm pretty strategic when it comes to battle but there are a lot of opponents where it just comes down to sheer dumb luck. Which means the more often you can play the more you can sit through 10 battles versus the same dragon. I normally have to ultimate at least once a tournament, sometimes twice. But that's because I get frustrated with the whole battling the same dragon for 12 hours straight thing. Some people don't mind it.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast