Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: To buy gems or not to buy gems

I have bought gems several times - probably 300 GBP worth - approx $500. The game gives me so much fun and relaxation, that I believe it is worth it. It has also helped me to advance my levels by expanding my bakery to the max, buying extra oven slots and in turn earning more cash and being able to buy the beautiful things that I want. I remember once I tried to get an item from a box and had to open it about 20 times until I got my beloved Mother's gazebo . But then I had used the items to create beautiful designs in my bakery. I LOVE THIS GAME. On another note, the creators are doing it for a return and I do appreciate their hard work. Plus, I can afford it for the amount of time I spend on it - it is totally worth it for me to buy gems .

Quote Originally Posted by filochick1982 View Post
    Is it my imagination or has TL increased the price of their gem packs? I used to get the 580 gem for $74.99 AUD on sale at 30% off and now there's a 30% off sale but the price is now $89.99 AUD? I swear the old price was $109.99 for 580 gems at full price. That's a huge increase of $20 to $129.99. Not cool. Definitely made me think twice about buying another pack. Not this time TL, you're far too greedy now.
    Really? Now we gotten pay more attention to the gems pack prices.
    ★ MiNiDeMoN ★
    ✿◕ ‿ ◕✿ Always expect the unexpected to happen in TeamLavaLand.✿◕ ‿ ◕✿
    Proud member of the 0 Star Club!
    ❤♡❤♡❤♡❤♡❤♡❤♡
    > Sorry, no longer accept neighbor currently. All invitation will be declined. < Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsuccess007 View Post
    I have bought gems several times - probably 300 GBP worth - approx $500. The game gives me so much fun and relaxation, that I believe it is worth it. ....being able to buy the beautiful things that I want....
    The game gives me fun and relaxation too... I've never bought gems . My bakery is full of beautiful things bought with coins and earned gems. And it's completely free. (Note: I have two IDs, I'm referring to my other bakery)

WOW ... $500 !!! No bakery I've seen is worth $500. Not even $50 ... lol.

Executive Chef
    There is a limited capacity to earn gems though. So if you want box items, a few free gems isnt going to get you very far.

I happen to think my bakery is beautiful because I have plenty of box items that are really pretty and I think I have a good eye for decorating properly, especially since I have random people commenting that's it's really nice, even if they're not my neighbours.

Quote Originally Posted by device2 View Post
    The game gives me fun and relaxation too... I've never bought gems . My bakery is full of beautiful things bought with coins and earned gems. And it's completely free. (Note: I have two IDs, I'm referring to my other bakery)

Quote Originally Posted by device2 View Post

Well, it is worth to ME, the one who paid the money, lol . I love my bakery and I think this money is very well spent, as therapy costs much more, trust me . Plus, everyone has a different perception of the value of money and how long it takes to earn it. I wanted a beautiful bakery quicker than possible for free. I calculated that it would take me A LOT longer to achieve that than earn the $500. So I made the logical choice and I used it to give myself pleasure - the pleasure of owning beautiful items in my bakery.

Hence, I didn't buy the pixels, as some mentioned upthread, but rather I bought some pleasure for myself. Rather like having a massage - you pay $100 for an hour and have nothing to show for it at the end of the session, but a sense of relaxation and satisfaction. Same thing with the game, but cheaper (for me ).
    Last edited by sweetsuccess007; 04-04-14 at 03:33 AM.

Executive Chef
    Completely agree. Everyone has a different perception of how much money is worth and how long it takes to earn it. I don't mind spending money on my guilty pleasures - this game is one of them! My other guilty pleasures are far far far more expensive.

I earn gems by mastering recipes but the free gems are not enough to expand, buy boxes or gem decor on a regular basis and if I couldn't do either of those, this game wouldn't be fun for me. I also worked out the math - how long it would take to fully expand using coins (probably a year) vs how long it would take me to earn the equivalent in $ to buy how many gems I needed to fully expand and it just made no sense to slave away getting enough coins for a year when for 240 gems for the last 3 80 gem expansions, it was the equivalent to a few mins of actual work!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsuccess007 View Post
    Well, it is worth to ME, the one who paid the money, lol . I love my bakery and I think this money is very well spent, as therapy costs much more, trust me . Plus, everyone has a different perception of the value of money and how long it takes to earn it. I wanted a beautiful bakery quicker than possible for free. I calculated that it would take me A LOT longer to achieve that than earn the $500. So I made the logical choice and I used it to give myself pleasure - the pleasure of owning beautiful items in my bakery.

Hence, I didn't buy the pixels, as some mentioned upthread, but rather I bought some pleasure for myself. Rather like having a massage - you pay $100 for an hour and have nothing to show for it at the end of the session, but a sense of relaxation and satisfaction. Same thing with the game, but cheaper (for me ).
    Last edited by filochick1982; 04-04-14 at 04:26 AM.

Farm Supplier
    Quote Originally Posted by filochick1982 View Post
    I buy gems but only during a 30% off sale and I only buy the 580 gem pack as it's the best value.
    This is what I do. I only buy once every month or every other month though, depending on if I've used the gems or not, because it's still a little expensive imo.

But I don't care to work for gems. It's a silly amount of effort compared to the payoff.

Ok guys, I'm a noob, what exactly is a gem trap??? I have fat fingers and I get tap happy so once in a while I accidentally cook all dishes instantly when I dont want to, but I would not consider that a trap!?!
    I got lucky with the one and only box I bought and got my Cake Pops from the Sugar Fairy box! Anyone know what box the swirly cupcake trees come from? I didn't see them in the box list!?
    Also, my neighbors are not the best news feed checkers so I may have to gem my way thru part of this fairy tale thing. Any idea how often the gems go on sale? I missed the last sale a couple days ago.

Farm Supplier
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonThorne View Post
    Ok guys, I'm a noob, what exactly is a gem trap??? I have fat fingers and I get tap happy so once in a while I accidentally cook all dishes instantly when I dont want to, but I would not consider that a trap!?!...
    What you described is what most people refer to as a gem trap. It is, evidently, not an intentional trap on the part of TL but they have made no effort to help protect players against it. Basically, any time you spend gems by accident, that's a gem trap.

The one that upsets me the most is buying a box by mistake by hitting one when you are trying for a different box, or are trying to navigate out of the boxes.

I'm not sure where the cupcake trees are from but the Master Box List is not comprehensive as it relies on us to post photos of our prizes. It may also be an old item that is no longer available.

I see gem sales quite often, usually once per week if not more. Personally, I wouldn't gem my way through because you have over a month to complete it and gems are valuable even if you like to buy them.

You can send out as many parts requests as you want, but only 20 will go through per day and the rest will queue up for following days. So it's best to send only 20 requests to people you know will respond. You can add me if you want. I send only parts and accept all parts requests. If I am not busy that day I will also visit and gift the parts you request so you can have 2 of them per day. If I don't have the time, I mass gift the parts that are currently in demand. (goal related when goals come out, general when goals are through).

Thanks for the tip on the requests, no wonder I get parts really late sometimes haha!
    I will also keep in mind what you said about the box list and the pictures. Although really I want the Sugar Fairy items and I think that is a popular one and all the items have photos already!!
    I try to visit/gift at the same time. That way if I see someone is building something that is not currently a goal, I can gift them the parts to build it even if they did not send me an "ask"
    I guess I can see how you might consider accidental spending a trap. Esp when the game lags now and then. That's what happens to me, I get impatient and keep tapping, just figured it was my fault. Can't even imagine buying the wrong box though, Id probably fling my ipod and need a new one of those too
    Anyhoo, invite sent thanks!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast