Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Volcanic Ruins - Levels 163 - 168

Level 166: Put out 20 fire in 2:30. This looks fairly simple, but the fire spreads really, really fast. (Example: See how the photo says 21 fire? It starts at 20, and before 1 second is up, it's 21 already!)

I've tried it twice, and it's all I can do to keep the fire from taking over! It's like others have said, as you get further into it, your match options shrink & the board starts to reshuffle. I did a blaster + bomb once, and I thought I'd be able to clear it. But the one flame left quickly took over, and I was back where I started by the end. Gonna need some luck and more special jewels!!! Gonna wait for my pulse to return to normal, before I attempt this again...
    Good luck!
    Phaedrakiki

Wow, I combined a diamond + blaster, and it cleared all the fire, save one flame. Couldn't find a match to snuff the last flame, though...so the fire quickly started up again (on both sides!) How are you supposed to put this thing out? I have a feeling they want you to buy a boost for this, lol! Not sure how the "fire extinguisher" works, but it's tempting to find out, lol!

Farm Supplier
    I don't mind being stuck on a level for a while if I get kind of close to finishing on a semi regular basis, but this one, and a couple of the other timed ones do feel a bit on the hopeless side! I'm at the point where I'm trying to not use all my energy on just this level, I'm going back and replaying other levels to increase my number of stars "in the bank" as it were, so I can quickly progress through the island when I finally complete...

In the time spend doing that, I'm hoping that Team Lava will make this level a bit less demanding! I really enjoy the strategy levels, and a lot of the timed digging down levels are enjoyable (i think its because you can at least see what you're in for on the scroll up at the beginning), but these fire ones, where there's limited predictability are very very frustrating!

Farm Supplier
    Another complete fluke... I'm now on 167. It's timed, but it's 3 minutes long, which feels like forever! There's a large square of glass and white colour match blocks, with a rectangle of normal jewels in the middleClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	7449
    Above is my first attempt at posting a pic... We'll see if it works! I know Phaedrakiki you'll post a great pic when you get to it - just to see if I can mainly!
    There are plenty of opportunities to make blasters, but never in the right place! I had one attempt when I had about 6 reshuffles, but otherwise it doesn't feel too bad... And it's flame free! Hurrah!

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrakiki View Post
    Thanks! Actually, I'm not really on a roll, I'm just finally moving after being stuck on 162 for so long!
    BTW, I knew you hadn't lost your Jewel Mania Mojo!
    Yeah, that's why I like to leave all the stats when I post level info (even the # of jewel colors used.) I find it all very interesting (all the changes they make,) and it's nice to be able to compare. Usually it's adding time or moves, but sometimes it's the opposite. After you blew through Abyssal Keep, they might reduce time/moves for the rest of us! JK (Oooh, I hope not, lol!) Then again, we don't all have your s****s (or JMM--JM Mojo!)
    i love the feeling of moving on when i'm stuck on a level for so long! also i was trying to figure out what your "(5JC)" meant, and duh it's for 5 jewel colors haha. but i really doubt they'll reduce the time/moves hehe. at least i hope they don't!! and my mojo is probably just luck and playing too much JM

I don't get it...I could swear I just completely blew out the fire on level 166 with a blaster + bomb. But it came back and began to spread again! Ugh, I'm so tired of this level; the fire spreads like crazy! I've used all kinds of combos on it, but can't seem to extinguish the fire completely (for good, I mean.) Maybe you have to blow it out twice in a row? I've had some pretty lucky boards already...not sure what it's gonna take to pass this thing. Plus, I'm so stressed-out by it. I have to rest after each attempt cuz my hands are shaking! I really hate timed levels like this!

I can't believe it--I finally passed 166. I got lucky enough to combine a blaster + bomb, and then a diamond + blaster shortly afterwards. Thank God! That was my least favorite level thus far. No real strategy for this level. Just keep moving fast (to keep fire from spreading--hopefully extinguishing it instead.) And just make as many special jewels & combos as you can!

I'm taking a break before I start the next level because my hands are shaking. If you have a tough time on 166, don't give up. (I was close to doing that!) Hang in there, and you'll get lucky, too...eventually, lol! Good luck~

Level 167: 3 minutes to clear 28 glass (5JC.) Pastasplace has already described it...the board is outlined with ice/color-match blocks.

I tried it once, and it was pretty easy to get the top and sides cleared. But still had some ice at the bottom when the 3 minutes were up. Gonna have to get some combinations going on my next try! (I want to pass this, so I can move on to the next level, which isn't timed--thank you!!!)

Enjoy,
    Phaedrakiki

I passed level 167 w/diamond + blaster combo. I made lots of special jewels (& blaster/bomb combos) during the 3 or 4 times I played, but the diamond/blaster was the only way I could really get to that bottom row...& completely clear the remaining ice & glass!

Level 168: 100 moves to put out 18 flames (all 6 JC's used.) Yay, a moves level! (Seems like a tough one, though!)

As prev. described, the bottom row is kinda separated from main board, so it's very tough to put out the flames there. I used a blaster + bomb 2 or 3 times the first (only) time I played, but it wasn't enough. That's because the t-shaped blast doesn't reach the sides, which are super hard-to-reach. I was able to put out the right side with matches in the perfect spots. But there were 2 "tricky" flames at the bottom left I could never get rid of. Guess I'll need a diamond + blaster again. I wasn't able to make a diamond the first time, though. I suppose with all six jewel colors being used, it'll be harder to make diamonds, anyway. I'll also try to start the level with a flat, horizontal move or two touching the flames (or I'll restart the level.) I hate wasting moves at the top, especially if fire is spreading!

Enjoy!
    Phaedrakiki

Took me 3 tries to pass 168. I combined a diamond + blaster to wipe out most of the fire, but still had those 2 pesky flames remaining on the left side again. (On the 2nd try, the "pesky flames" were on the right...so the side changes, but there's always 2 that are hard to extinguish...) Anyway, I made another diamond, and was trying to manipulate things so I could combine with another blaster. Was also continuing to make matches so the fire wouldn't get out of hand again. I suddenly realized that the last 2 flames were both next to a red jewel. Duh! So I just switched my diamond with a red jewel. Poof! Fire's out. Yipppeeeee!

I was only halfway through the 100 moves, so the countdown (that turns each remaining move into a blaster or bomb) totally filled the entire board with special jewels, then detonated them. Even though it was a lot of specials, I only got 1 star. I think they should give extra points if you finish that early, or perhaps they should do the "1 blaster per leftover move" thing a little differently. Like maybe detonate the blasters/bombs just a few at a time, letting jewels fall in and make bonus matches to add points. Then do another few, etc.--instead of exploding them in just one big bang. That would boost the points, and hopefully, stars. Once I discovered that you get less points when you have lots of moves left, I started using my moves up once I get pretty close to a level's goal (like right before breaking the last glass.) But with fire, you can't wait too long, or it gets away from you. And diamonds...if you don't use them, they'll get blasted or something (and they're very much needed for 168!) I enjoyed this level; it was a lot of fun. So I'll come back & play it again to earn more stars. But for now I'm moving on to Unicorn Summit island. I don't have energy to actually play yet, but~

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast