Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Island - Mount Magma levels 67 - 72

New Resident
    Finally completed level 72, took some perseverance but so pleased I completed it!

New Resident
    Completed all levels at last. Level 72 took the longest probably about 2 weeks but I was determined, kept getting so close but not quite there. Just so you know it's achievable I didn't spend a penny on extras! So happy

A lot of this island honestly depends on getting some lucky drops, where the random blocks take out some doom jewels, or they at least let you havve triplets close to where you need to **** doom jewels (I hate havng my only matches be way on the other side of the screen). Level 67 was by far the toughest for me, but 68 was pretty tough and level 72 was third. On some of these you have to move quick and get a second triplet while blocks are still moving so it doesn't take away your chance to knock out a doom jewel. Anyway, didn't use any power-ups, so it is possible, although you may want to take a break and calm down some times.

New Resident
    So after i posted my original msg i passed 67 level on a third try. Was a complete surprise. But by that time i got pretty disappointed in the game. And didn't stress out too much on the next levels. Well, maybe just a little bit. By the time i got to 72 i remembered everything people said about it and thought to myself that it is impossible to pass it and that kinda removed the expectation and i just played it, and again and again. Very frustrating at times , as sometimes you don't see the doom jewel is even there when suddenly it explodes... And to my complete surprise i suddenly passed! Didn't even notice how, didn't get more than usual of the special jewels... Whats even more weird i passed with 3 stars! Oh, the irony. Weird because ALL the times before i never got more than 12 m down! So the message is this - it will happen eventually. Some people get lucky sooner than others, but it will happen eventually. Will not say " don't give up". If you want to give up and never return to this game - well done! One valuable advise i can give for ipad is use a stylus pen. A world of difference. Faster and makes it easier to see the whole board. Nothing is blocked by the hand. Good luck everybody!

Level 72

Here's another tip for Level 72.

Level 70

Someone asked about level 70 in another thread, specifically about portals as well as the separated area to the right of the board. So I provided links to this thread, which has some great advice for that level (comment #22, pg. 3,) and to the Jewel Mania-basics "sticky", which has all-around good info. I wanted to add an additional tip*, so I'm putting it in this thread along w/some screen shots.

On glass levels, well...any level really, it helps to start off with optimal moves to save time/moves. For digging levels, flat (horizontal) matches against the dirt are usually best, so you can immediately start to dig. For glass, it's good to start with moves in hard-to-reach areas (like Level 70's rightmost 2 columns) and/or the bottom of the playing board.

In this photo, there's a green match that would be great to start with (red arrow.) That's because as the glass falls, new "extra" matches are often created above, which helps to clear glass without using additional moves.

Even better is a match in the separated area to the right, like the circled green match above, or the yellow match in the photo below. It starts clearing the glass in the harder to reach area, and causes jewels to flow through the portals (into the green & out of the red.) This can also create "extra" matches from all the moving jewels.

Another optimal move is one that'll get rid of a doom jewel, like the one in the photo below.

(It would be even better if the match got rid of the middle (blue) doom jewel, with its shorter fuse/timer. You probably already know this, but the 10 or 15 means you have that many moves to clear the doom jewel--or it will detonate. On timed levels, the number denotes the amount of time you have, instead.) Not shown, but certainly optimal, are moves that create special jewels...

*A long way to go for the tip, lol! But anyway, if you start the level and you don't have at least one "good" move, pause, then restart that level. It shouldn't take an energy if you don't make a move. This gives you a tiny head-start, which might just make all the difference with so few allowed moves. So, find a great board to start with, make lots of special jewels & combos, keep an eye on the doom jewels...and beat Level 70! Good luck!

But I still don't understand the portals. Sometimes when I make a match in the portal column, the jewels just slide down to the portal without going through. Other times - and these are much less frequent - the jewels will fall into the portal and come out in the 2 columns to the right. I don't understand what is making them fall or not all into the portals. Does this only happen if the match includes the jewel that's in the portal block? So unless you make a match using the jewel in the portal cell, no jewels will drop through the portal?

Portals

The way I understand portals is this: if you clear jewels after a portal (under or to the right usually, though it varies by level,) the "filling-in" jewels go through the portal. In level 70, it looks like the only time jewels flow thru the portals is when jewels are cleared in those 2 separated columns. So, in that 2nd photo above, if you made that yellow match circled in green, you'd get gems going thru both sets of portals. If you made the circled green match in the first photo, jewels would only flow thru the first set (the green on main board & out red portal at top of first column of that rightmost section.) That's what it looks like to me, though it's been a long time since I've played that level.

I hope that makes sense/helps. If anyone has better information or clearer explanation, please do add it! I know others have had questions about these portals, too. Definitely confusing, lol! If no one else adds info & you still need clarification, I could try adding some diagram info to one of the pictures...

That helps a lot -thanks so much!

New Resident
    This is incredibly frustrating. Level 72 has been impossible. I have been stuck there for three weeks now. To make matters worse the time I was initially given when I first started on the level has *decreased* by over a minute. I was able to consistently make 17-18 meters down if I could avoid the exploding jewels but now I am lucky to get to level 12 before time runs out. What is the typical time on this level for everyone?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast