Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Industry is best?

Rhino Keeper
    The game limit is 6 industries. It doesn't matter how many buildings you have, or your population.

I figured I'd resurrect this old thread rather than create a new one.

My question is: why do all the high levelers use idea factories? I notice this... most have 6 idea factories even though they have the WORST contracts.

Can people not do math? You get maybe 1 1/2 goods per coin, at the most. The greenhouse is the best because you get 2 goods per coin... do high levelers think they're too cool for the "cheapest" industry or something?

If you use idea factories, what is your logic?

I have 4 green houses and 1 each of the other two just for looks. I might go to all greenhouses though.

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by grouchomarxist View Post

My question is: why do all the high levelers use idea factories? I notice this... most have 6 idea factories even though they have the WORST contracts.

Can people not do math? You get maybe 1 1/2 goods per coin, at the most. The greenhouse is the best because you get 2 goods per coin... do high levelers think they're too cool for the "cheapest" industry or something?

I have 4 green houses and 1 each of the other two just for looks. I might go to all greenhouses though.

I think it depends on how much times they check the game daily, and how much energy they have available. Using myself as an example, if I know I won't be able to check in for about 8 hours (like when I'm asleep) I use 6 idea factories and put 8 hour contracts. During the day I rotate between idea factories and greenhouses based on the amount of energy I have available. I'd usually have the idea factories with 2-hour contracts, then after 2 hours I'd collect the goods. Since during that 2 hour period my energy refills, I'd switch out the idea factories for greenhouses and use 3 minute contracts to use up my energy, then repeat the process again.
    It's about playing the game to suit yourself and get your optimal goods output, not trying to look cool. Not all players are the same so each person would have their own reasons for their industry buildings. I just happen to have enough time for my method, that's why I use it.

Quote Originally Posted by SenseiNJ View Post
    Using myself as an example, if I know I won't be able to check in for about 8 hours (like when I'm asleep) I use 6 idea factories and put 8 hour contracts.
    Okay, but your usage which you just outlined, makes no sense. I think most high levelers are making a similar mistake. The idea factory's 8-hour contract sucks in comparison to the greenhouse or plant's 8-hour contracts. Its simple math, so lets look at the 8 -hour contracts from each industry:

Greenhouse: 1.739 goods for every coin spent

Industrial Plant: 1.6 goods for every coin spent

Idea factory: 1.33 goods for every coin spent

I guess if money is no object, go ahead... but you're using those overpriced goods to fuel businesses, thus cutting into their profitability as well.

Also, if anyone is interested, here are screenshots of the current contracts in case you want to do the math yourself:
    GREENHOUSE:

INDUSTRIAL PLANT:

IDEA FACTORY:

Rhino Keeper
    In one day, I collect 2 times on 8 hours contracts, 1 time on a 4 hours contract and 1 time on a 2 hours contract.
    With the Idea Factory, I collect 980 goods per factory per day.
    With a Greenhouse, I would only collect 660 goods per factory per day.
    That's 1920 more goods per day.
    So when you make 60k to 100k coins per day, it doesn't matter if your goods per coin ratio is not good.
    My business are supplied, that's what I need...

Rhino Keeper
    Okay, but your usage which you just outlined, makes no sense. I think most high levelers are making a similar mistake. The idea factory's 8-hour contract sucks in comparison to the greenhouse or plant's 8-hour contracts. Its simple math, so lets look at the 8 -hour contracts from each industry:

Greenhouse: 1.739 goods for every coin spent

Industrial Plant: 1.6 goods for every coin spent

Idea factory: 1.33 goods for every coin spent

I guess if money is no object, go ahead... but you're using those overpriced goods to fuel businesses, thus cutting into their profitability as well.
    I understand your point, but as you suggested, money is no object for me. I make a comfortable 75,000 coin profit daily using my method. If I were to use greenhouses, it would significantly decrease, because I won't have as much goods.
    I performed all these calculations and more when I first started playing. If you focus on input rather than output, you'll find yourself taking much longer to level up and progress. You also didn't account for the other factors like time, businesses and energy in your calculations.

Like I said before, everyone has their own method and reasons for playing the game. For some people it may because the like the look of the buildings rather than its practicality. Rather than criticizing their methods, it is best for one to develop their own methods. Best of luck to you.

Fashion Designer

Um...Idea Factories look good? I don't see the need to get all worked up about it, lol!

lol, I'm not "worked up over it", thanks. I was just curious as to why so many of my neighbors use Idea Factories exclusively.

You get more goods, but at a higher price per good. You can then supply more businesses, but you make less profit from those businesses as well as use more energy to click all of them. It makes more sense to have a few big-ticket businesses stocked, like the Metropolitan or similar, rather than putting your goods through numerous businesses, using up more clicks.

I have seen a few huge cities with all greenhouses, so I'm not alone I guess, just in the minority

grouchomarxist, your ideas and raw facts intrigued me, so I did some math.

For contracts ranging from 2-8 hours, idea factories' supplies/coin ratios range from 1.5-1.33. Greenhouses' ranges from 2.4-1.74, with the 3 hour contract being the only one above 1.82.

Per hour, idea factories pay 90, 60, and 35 supplies for 2,4, and 8 hr contracts, respectively. Greenhouses pay 50, 60, 40, and 25 for 2, 3, 4, and 8 hour contracts.

As businesses pay out roughly 3.15-3.3 coins/supply, the better investment is the factory that can provide you with the most coins/hour to feed back into your businesses which convert supplies to coins at a higher rate than factories convert coins to supplies.

Energy is not a variable in this equation as everyone uses all the supplies they get for whatever businesses they have.

I just calculated an average day based on my playing style and my net coin gain was 38% higher with idea factories than it would be with greenhouses because of the sheer number of supplies I'm able to turn over. I'll stick with my idea factories.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast