Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Castle Story Concept Art

Castle Story Concept Art

Hey everyone! I'm excited to have the opportunity to share some of the amazing work our artists did for our new game, Castle Story. The whole team has been amazing to work with, and from the first piece of pre-visualization art work, to seeing final art in the game, we've all been amazed by the quality and the fun, fairytale style that was developed. So, throughout the day, I will be sharing some of the concept art that was created for this game!

First up, we have an exploration of some of the Town buildings. We ended up falling in love with huge wooden beams, and organic structures that were built over time by hand, and may require a little bit of magic to stay together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buildings_previz_3storey.png 
Views:	439 
Size:	274.4 KB 
ID:	4048  

Nightclub Owner
    Hi SvenJ, love the artwork. Thanks for sharing with us. I think it's pretty cool that we're getting to see behind the scenes. The clock tower looks new. Hopefully it will be in the update (today?).

Next up, we have some more exploration of the "chunky" buildings with lots of reinforcement and structure.

Name:	buildings_previz02.png 
Views:	400 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	4050  

I'm glad you're liking the artwork, Maguar! We decided to share some of our process because this game was so fun to make and the art is so wonderful. The clock archway drawn here was part of the pre-visualization phase, since then we've continued to select and refine which items to put into the game first, but stick with us and you'll see tons of new items coming. (Maybe even the clock archway sometime).

Here you can see one of our first color concepts after the pre-visualization phase; the Farmhouse. We had a lot of fun exploring how we would use color in the Castle Story. The texture swatches are all hand-painted, as are the final textures for the 3D models. We're really happy with how it turned out!

Name:	castles_farmhouse.png 
Views:	416 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	4051  

Grand Emperor
    This is really cool. I'm hoping I get castle story.

Designer of Worlds
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkster73 View Post
    This is really cool. I'm hoping I get castle story.
    If all goes well, it will be going live very soon. Expect us to post when we open it up to everyone
    Last edited by MHz_; 09-20-12 at 03:06 PM.

We explored a ton of different designs for the King's Keep and Queen's Court in the game, as well as Castles in general, which flowed outward to other royal buildings. This piece was also experimenting with scale. You can see a cottage and a knight next to the castle.

Name:	buildings_previz_carolinacastle.png 
Views:	398 
Size:	257.9 KB 
ID:	4052  

From the many Castle designs we explored, two distinct options rose to the top, and these eventually became the concepts for the Queen's Court and the King's Keep. Don't worry though, other ideas went on to become other buildings, and even more will be coming to the game in the future! Castle Story is the most Castle filled game to ever release on mobile!

Name:	castles.png 
Views:	415 
Size:	1,017.8 KB 
ID:	4054  
    Last edited by SvenJ; 09-20-12 at 02:26 PM.

Mixing things up a little bit, one of my favorite parts of Castle Story is the enchanted forest that you'll all be exploring. To get the right feeling for the trees and all elements of nature in the game, our artists spent a good amount of time trying different shapes, states, colors, texturs and overall different approaches to all of the elements making up the forest.

Here's a sample progression of some different states trees could be in.

Name:	nature_previz_tree_cycle.png 
Views:	404 
Size:	775.0 KB 
ID:	4055  

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast