Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighbor Etiquette

Nightclub Owner
    Well by the time the mermaid came around we were a lot wiser.

I always like getting parts as gifts. I am ready for any new appliance that requires parts already available. Then all I need request are the new parts. Right now I have 124 fuses, 107 knobs, 138 springs. Getting ready to build the last of the appliances I need to master, the nacho machine, so just bumping up my motor supply right now.
    I visit & tip all my neighbors except 1 who plays differently.

Executive Chef
    A room in a house in a town in Southeast Kansas
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbear22 View Post
    Lately I have 3 unwanted neighbors that I seem to be spending a lot of time with. LOADING, OH DARN AND PROCESSING...... None of them tip or gift, so they aren't very good neighbors. It would be nice TL to get through tipping in a reasonable amount of time instead of getting frustrated and annoyed and making the game less appealing.
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL >.<

Seriously tho, I agree. These games don't need to be such resource hogs. Options to turn animations off would help.

Farm Supplier

Weeding out inactive/unwanted neighbors

This can be a long, tedious process so I wanted to get some tips and share what I've come up with so we can all have a better neighbor experience.

So I would post my ID in the "Add Me" threads every month and would accept any neighbor request that came my way, and bam I have 300 neighbors. Many have quit playing and a lot seem to do the bare minimum.

Here is what I've been doing to weed out neighbors, and please add your tips as well.

Besides weeding out inactive players, it depends on what kind of neighbor you desire. I want neighbors who make the effort to decorate and will answer parts requests. I don't have time to tip so I don't mind if they don't tip and have zero star rating. Any inactive player will have a star rating of zero though, and I keep that in mind.

How do you tell if they are inactive? Here are some clues:

Doesn't gift - some active players don't gift but I assume most of us don't want neighbors who don't gift. This is the biggest clue and can eliminate neighbors without visiting them all.
    No food cooking on some or all of the appliances <--- biggest clue if you are visiting each neighbor. Higher level players may stop cooking when they have too much food.
    All food on appliances has gone bad - some days we get busy and can't play so I keep that in mind here. If you can see what the recipe is and know if it's a 1-2 day recipe, that helps a lot.
    No food on counters - applies to above level 60 only really because I have a hard time keeping food on my counters at level 40.
    Lots of tables and all are full with tips
    Zero star rating

So go through your neighbors and eliminate those that are obviously inactive or less active, those who have 2-3+ of the clues I just mentioned. If you care about star rating that will be pretty easy to eliminate lots of unwanted neighbors. You can try to start by eliminating those who don't gift or don't gift parts so you don't have to visit all your neighbors, but remember that you can only receive 20 gifts per day. Over the course of a few days you can reject all gifts but gift back those who send you one (may have to write down those who hit their gift limit) so at the end of the day you know who sent you a gift. Rejecting them will allow you to receive more gift offers and see more of who is sending you gifts. You will have to check it often to have less chance of missing someone sending a gift. Whoever hasn't sent anything over those few days gets deleted.

A lot of my neighbors only decorate for goals and I delete them while I'm looking for inactive players. Any neighbors who have decor I really like, I write their name down on my "keeper" list. I want to give them a better chance of not being eliminated.

If you are unsure about a neighbor for any reason, you can "mark" them by gifting them individually (or tipping or not tipping) if you do this at the beginning of the day. You can go back at the end of the day and see if anything has changed (if they took care of their bad food, or removed the chair from the door, for example).

If you have to scroll to the bottom every time to delete someone, to easily get back to the top click on the "Community" tab and then back to the Neighbors tab.

Lastly, for requests I'll just be going through 20 at a time to see who responds. Doing this last seems easiest. I'll also be making sure everyone on my "keeper" list is gifting and responding.
    Last edited by tresspassers; 03-12-14 at 08:09 AM.

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by tresspassers View Post
    Lastly, for requests I'll just be going through 20 at a time to see who responds. Doing this last seems easiest. I'll also be making sure everyone on my "keeper" list is gifting and responding.

Actually you can't rely on what your news feed shows for parts request acceptance. It does not show every acceptance. I know, I have 3 other accounts other than my main game. I use those 3 accounts on other devices just to gift myself parts. Sometimes it doesn't show in my news feed on my main account that my requests were accepted from those other 3 accounts. Also a close friend of mine says the same when I accept her parts request my acceptance sometimes never shows in her news feed. So not a good way to see if nbrs are accepting request or not.
    Add me if you are a high level player who gifts parts only and gifts goal parts and accepts requests during goals! Must do goals so you know what parts are needed! I rarely tip. No tips required. Food gifters get deleted.

Farm Supplier
    Quote Originally Posted by pipipooh1977 View Post
    Actually you can't rely on what your news feed shows for parts request acceptance. It does not show every acceptance. I know, I have 3 other accounts other than my main game. I use those 3 accounts on other devices just to gift myself parts. Sometimes it doesn't show in my news feed on my main account that my requests were accepted from those other 3 accounts. Also a close friend of mine says the same when I accept her parts request my acceptance sometimes never shows in her news feed. So not a good way to see if nbrs are accepting request or not.
    Thanks. I just learned that you can only send 20 gift requests per day. To make sure I'm sending requests to the right people I guess I'll just have to make a list of those who do show up in my news feed.

Nightclub Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by tresspassers View Post
    Thanks. I just learned that you can only send 20 gift requests per day. To make sure I'm sending requests to the right people I guess I'll just have to make a list of those who do show up in my news feed.
    You should also keep in mind that some neighbours are in a different time zone than you. When they send out gifts each day you may either have already accepted your twenty gifts for the day or may have twenty pending gifts. They won't be able to send you anymore gifts for that day. I have several neighbours who send me gifts but for whom I can never return the favour as their gift quota is always full when I try to send a gift to them.

Another thing you should understand about the gift system is that sometimes gifts that are counted by the quota system as being received by you...well...sometimes they just drop off into thin air, never to return ever again. They are gifts that you have not accepted, meaning that they are still pending, which fall off the newsfeed and which never actually return for some strange reason for you to accept them, but which seem to count as one of your 20 for the day.

So before deleting a neighbour as not being an active gifter, bear these in mind.

Rhino Keeper
    In response to above posts, I thought I would share my tips for evicting inactive neighbours...
    Whenever a Neighbour gifts, tips or returns a request I tip them leaving a distinctive post (usually a full message of emoji) on their wall. Then once a month I go through my Neighbour list and delete anyone who doesn't have one of my posts on their wall, unless they are a player who deletes wall posts which usually means they are daily active players anyway. This system has worked for me, I hope it can help others too.

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyrae View Post
    You should also keep in mind that some neighbours are in a different time zone than you. When they send out gifts each day you may either have already accepted your twenty gifts for the day or may have twenty pending gifts. They won't be able to send you anymore gifts for that day. I have several neighbours who send me gifts but for whom I can never return the favour as their gift quota is always full when I try to send a gift to them. .
    I was going to mention this. Most of the time I gift right at reset. But if I miss it by even a few hours, the majority of my nbrs will already be maxed out on gifts, so I can't send them any. I have a few nbrs that are actually maxed just a few minutes after reset! Just something to take into consideration.

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by marybeth808 View Post
    Level 23, somewhat newbie here. What's the etiquette on inviting/adding people from the forums? I've been pretty actively trying to get a bunch of new neighbors and thought that aside from the Add Me sticky, going through the forum to find experienced players would be a good way to get neighbors I can visit and get restaurant ideas from? but I don't want to irritate anyone with my invites!

Is there a limit to the number of Neighbors you can have? Or is it bothersome in some way to have newbs in your neighbor list?

Thank you!
    Bobbyrae is right. You can always PM them asking. If you do send an invite with out asking make sure you leave a message on their wall introducing yourself. I always declined invites (I don't need new nbrs at this time so no invites please, thank you) no matter star rating if they didn't post a message on my wall. After that I wasn't fussed if they didn't tip/post and only gifted. I just think the initial invite should include a message introducing yourself.
    Sorry not accepting new nbrs on any games 🌸

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast