Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sorry, but really poor taste!

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniLaura View Post
    Do not lump major zoos or even many mid-sized zoos into your "not politically correct" assessment. Zoos are actually big science labs where zoologists study animals, treat animal illnesses, and work to keep the population of endangered animals up. That is the primary function of zoos. Zoos just happen to get a large amount of their operational money by opening their doors to the general public so that other people can see the animals. The part of the zoo that you see is the just what they do so that they can get the REAL work done.
    Well said.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by Montegoe View Post
    Now that you mention it...there are bakeries that sell old sometimes moldy product as new, there are flashy clothing stores that profit from child labor in less fortunate areas, there are farms that mistreat animals and spread the harmful pesticides on thick, there are restaurants that have secrets that would make you sick (Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares!), there are nightclubs that are dens of illegal drugs and/or illegal activities....how many threads do you want to pull on that sweater before it all unravels and we're all a huddled mass of scaredy cats?

Instead of adding real world context to them maybe take them for what they are....games. TL is hardly the first company to have pet/animal/zoo themed games. They won't be the last. People use the games to escape the horrors of the real world.

For the record my Bakery Story bakery only sells fresh products, my Farm Story farm is 100% organic/free range, and my Nightclub has a security team that keeps me and my patrons safe. That's the beauty of games...you can make them be what you want them to be.
    .....and couldn't agree more.

Fashion Designer
    I not saying the world is a perfect place. Restaurants cook meat, dead animals, and my restaurant is level 96.
    I don't want to take this out of proportion. I know it's just a game, but the message is twisted.
    I just think that there needs to be some message to the player that breeding puppies or buying an elephant is wrong, a pandoras box of unnecessary cruelties.
    But there's a subliminal message. It's ok to breed fashion pets - and leave unwanted pets in shelters to die ... it's ok to buy an elephant - and not care about where it came from.
    Maybe TL could create a game to rebuild the rainforest instead?
    Maybe TL could donate a percentage of the profits from these games to shelters or zoos?
    I just wanted to bring this to light. With all the popups and ads on the games for these two stories, TL could easily send a healthier message.

Executive Chef
    I had wondered about this but the people dont actually "buy" the pets. not that i'm against this issue. i personally am an animal lover.

My 5 year old plays this game because she loves pets. Our family has adopted animals since I myself was a child. This is a game, not a game to teach morals. If you would like to complain about the morals of games then why not get upset over Call of Duty, or the other millions of pet shop games out there. It's also not like any really animals are being harmed while playing on your iPhone.

Also TL is making a LOT of money from all these games; that's all any business cares about. As long as they're making money, they don't care.

Executive Chef
    I'd have to agree Pet shop is only a game. Maybe TL could make a disclaimer : No real animals were harmed in the making of this game

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by sourlicorice2 View Post
    I'd have to agree Pet shop is only a game. Maybe TL could make a disclaimer : No real animals were harmed in the making of this game
    Exactly!! And who is to say that TL does not contribute to non-profit organizations. I play both games and I am an extreme animal activist! I volunteer for the Golden Retrieve Rescue Club in my home state, foster animals, donate a lot of money to shelters as well as help shut down puppy mills. The name of my shop is 4Ever Friends because to me every pet, whether bought, rescued, found, or appeared on my acreage will and always will be my 4Ever Friends. There is a lot of violent games out there which create a lot more problems in Society than creating a virtual animal game.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by uwantoplay View Post
    Exactly!! And who is to say that TL does not contribute to non-profit organizations. I play both games and I am an extreme animal activist! I volunteer for the Golden Retrieve Rescue Club in my home state, foster animals, donate a lot of money to shelters as well as help shut down puppy mills. The name of my shop is 4Ever Friends because to me every pet, whether bought, rescued, found, or appeared on my acreage will and always will be my 4Ever Friends. There is a lot of violent games out there which create a lot more problems in Society than creating a virtual animal game.
    I agree .......................

Rhino Keeper
    it has nothing to do with that so chill out

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast