PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle Barrel - Levels 253 - 258

OpeningCeremony
06-14-13, 11:08 AM
oooh boy i am managing to keep up with TL's updates to Jewel Mania... quite the challenge!!

Level 253... glass moves level with surprise doom jewels

http://i41.tinypic.com/2zdymvb.png

35 moves to break 40 glass in this interestingly shaped board. the more difficult areas to break are the left and right columns. some of the corners in this shape can be tricky and oh this entire thing is double glassed. i made a bunch of vertical blasters in the center vertical strip, so that area seemed to take care of itself. haven't passed yet... so i'll be focusing on the left and right sides. and doom jewels drop in :mad: so you gotta waste moves on making sure these don't detonate. the count seems to start at 8 on the doom jewels, but i swear i saw one that started at 7... not sure because all the ones that dropped in after i thought i saw 7, were all 8.

oh and interesting note that i just learned. i had a diamond next to a green blaster and there was one doom jewel on the board that happened to be green too. so i was trying to get more green colored jewels on the board before i combined the diamond + blaster. i waited until the count on the doom jewel was at 1 to make the diamond + blaster combo. but instead of the doom jewel turning into a blaster, it detonated. :mad: to add insult to injury, one of the jewels that turned into a blaster lined up with the detonated doom jewel and blasted it. sigh... but i guess it doesn't matter since it already detonated. i think the detonation should happen after all the jewel movement on the board is done, but oh well.

OpeningCeremony
06-17-13, 02:52 PM
i'm dying!! i left my charger at home and my device ran out of batteries... just thinking about the unused energies is driving me bananas!! i can't even post the pics some of the other levels (254, 255) because they're stored on it! aaaaaaaah!! (just had to vent :) )

Phaedrakiki
06-17-13, 03:57 PM
Lol, it ****s me, too--when energies go to waste! When I get too busy or something happens that keeps me from playing, that #5 energy level just hovers in the back of my mind...

Suppose we're addicts? ;) Hope you can play soon!

thesacredphoenix
06-18-13, 02:43 AM
I'm having a hard time catching up with you, aileeniweeni, haha. I got caught up on a couple in the Windmill Heights level. I'm currently on 246 and those darn teleport panels make burning the flames difficult! I'll have to try extra hard to catch up!

OpeningCeremony
06-18-13, 11:18 AM
Lol, it ****s me, too--when energies go to waste! When I get too busy or something happens that keeps me from playing, that #5 energy level just hovers in the back of my mind...

Suppose we're addicts? ;) Hope you can play soon!

turns out i had a car charger, so i charged it as soon as i got in my car. but i'm still in the same place as i was 2 days ago :p and yes i think we are addicts!! JMA (jewel mania anonymous)

I'm having a hard time catching up with you, aileeniweeni, haha. I got caught up on a couple in the Windmill Heights level. I'm currently on 246 and those darn teleport panels make burning the flames difficult! I'll have to try extra hard to catch up!

i know what you mean about those teleports!! the jewels end up going where you don't want them to :p you'll be here soon!! not very far at all. i'm currently stuck on 256... that one is hard but not. gonna post some pics hehe.

OpeningCeremony
06-18-13, 11:42 AM
Level 254... timed digging level with super dirt and surprise doom jewels

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/aileeniweeni/af97fb1b-56b0-4de8-84e3-d6db65a54140_zps59547fbd.jpg
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/aileeniweeni/26080134-4c71-4283-b205-dc32c1dbc143_zpse7b7e530.jpg
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/aileeniweeni/5ac339af-a889-4d45-b761-f2533d44ffcf_zpsb8cdab45.jpg
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/aileeniweeni/095ed684-514b-4156-ac2c-78555344c6d5_zpsc3a5978f.jpg
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/aileeniweeni/d54472c2-6941-4e2a-84e8-b4c296cfd8ef_zps0467ad78.jpg

this is a loooooooong dig down. there are only 3JC (3 jewel colors) on the board so expect a lot of special jewels to be made. even though you make a lot of bombs, blasters, and diamonds, it doesn't really matter unless they're strategically placed to blast through the super dirt. sometimes diamonds aren't that helpful, and remember that this level is timed (2:40 on the clock), so you don't want to have to wait for blaster after blaster to go off. but sometimes you can't help it and the special jewels will just make themselves. this level is pretty fun but you gotta hustle to the bottom. if you reach past the goal line, (happened in the round that i passed), the matching continues for awhile after the clock ran out and it was crazy! but my score was still very low compared to Paul's #1 score which is 1,615,000! oh and i forgot to mention that doom jewels drop down, but you really don't have to even worry about them because there is so many matches going on that it'll take care of itself. if you happen to see one w/ 5 sec left, then maybe you should worry. haha

OpeningCeremony
06-18-13, 11:53 AM
Level 255... digging moves level with restricted jewels and super dirt

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/aileeniweeni/ca62543b-07cc-4df5-aff0-bbf914a6aae2_zpscdb1aebe.jpg
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/aileeniweeni/5abaa193-a8c0-4d86-adf3-63ffc1840c44_zps67fe2382.jpg

not a far dig down compared to the level beforehand. but it's actually quite difficult to make well-placed special jewels in this level. i didn't really focus on trying to get rid of the stone jewels, but releasing the restricted jewels is helpful to dig down and make useful matches. anytime i'd make a horizontal blaster it'd be too high and not within super dirt range. or i'd make a vertical blaster that was in the center, so it wasn't even blasting through super dirt. i can't remember how i passed it exactly, but obviously special jewels were involved. 30 moves in the level, so play smart.

OpeningCeremony
06-18-13, 12:24 PM
Level 256... timed fire level with snakes and crates

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/aileeniweeni/864e1142-185a-462b-881c-384d59a5587c_zpsf2fabb28.jpg

ok WTH. i was playing this level a couple days ago and it used to look like this... NOW it looks like this monstrosity below:

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/aileeniweeni/bf58408e-d00b-446b-a6e0-3970f4bfbc11_zps2d1325c1.jpg

6 snake heads on one snake body. must eliminate all to get direct access to the fire below. the fire spreads pretty quickly, and there's only 0:45 on the clock. this is really not much time at all. getting rid of the crates also makes it easier to contain the fire above the snake body. but there's so little time that you need a ****er perfect round to pass this (or so it feels like). i've gotten close with one flame left, but then time ran out. sigh. i've been stuck on this level for awhile, hoping the time will increase.

OpeningCeremony
06-19-13, 10:59 AM
wow level 256 was really tough to pass especially with the additional 2 snake heads to get rid of! somehow i managed to pass it within that 45 second window. just make any match you can, but try to make vertical blasters if possible.

Level 257... glass moves level with snakes and stone jewels

http://i42.tinypic.com/wu0xd.png

the hardest snake heads to get rid of are the one at the very top left corner, the very bottom right corner, and the 4-head cluster in the bottom left corner. most of the snake heads in the middle will be easy to get rid of by blasters, bombs, or just simple match making around their heads. the ones in the top right wasn't very difficult to get rid of each time i played this round. but remember that there is glass underneath the mini-2-headed snake in the top right corner. once you clear out that massive snake body, you'll be left with glass and the 4-stone jewel cluster in the bottom left corner. the stone jewels can be tricky to move out of the way or get rid of via special jewel making. so focus all your moves towards moving out those stone jewels so you can break the double-glass underneath them. this level took me a few tries, but i really enjoyed it because it involves a lot of thinking to make smart moves :)

ooh one time i had a board reshuffle because there weren't any matches, so it moved the stone jewels out. but of course i wasn't able to clear out all the snake heads to have enough moves left to break all the glass. darn!

OpeningCeremony
06-19-13, 11:07 AM
Level 258... timed fire level

http://i41.tinypic.com/33e6adl.png

this level looks like it's straight forward. but the only tricky parts is getting rid of the fire in the tight spots. also try to prevent it from growing too tall, then it gets into those upper tight spots. blaster + bomb towards the bottom would be perfect. only tried twice but haven't passed it yet. 1:35 on the clock for now.

Gardienn
06-19-13, 12:52 PM
Level 256... timed fire level with snakes and crates

ok WTH. i was playing this level a couple days ago and it used to look like this... NOW it looks like this monstrosity below:

6 snake heads on one snake body. must eliminate all to get direct access to the fire below. the fire spreads pretty quickly, and there's only 0:45 on the clock. this is really not much time at all. getting rid of the crates also makes it easier to contain the fire above the snake body. but there's so little time that you need a ****er perfect round to pass this (or so it feels like). i've gotten close with one flame left, but then time ran out. sigh. i've been stuck on this level for awhile, hoping the time will increase.

That's totally unfair. Good thing you got through it still. You're doing a great job keeping up with the updates.

OpeningCeremony
06-20-13, 03:15 PM
phew i was able to get through 258. i'm not sure which one was tougher, 256 or 258... but they are both fire levels. i think 258 is doable if you are very quick about making good moves. there were a bunch of times that if i had swiped a millisecond faster, i would've passed the level. anyways, i'm off to Shark Cavern (http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?54057-Shark-Cavern-Levels-259-264)!!

OpeningCeremony
06-20-13, 03:16 PM
oh and thanks Gardienn!! :)

thesacredphoenix
06-21-13, 11:12 AM
Currently on 256 and I agree with you that the added snakeheads are ridiculous, haha. I just got there so I don't know how easier it would have been beforehand, but between the time limit and the layout in general, it doesn't seem like they really needed to add those extra heads for it still to be hard, haha.

Congrats on finishing this set. Hopefully I'll get this one out of the way soon but the time limit forces a brisk pace!

Ad on a side note, I loved that one where you dig and there's only 3 colored jewels. It's crazy and a lot of fun. =P

OpeningCeremony
06-21-13, 12:29 PM
thanks phoenix! i think 258 took me more tries than 256, but i was thinking/moving too slow on that one. you'll be swimming with sharks with me soon!

finnth12
07-17-13, 11:42 AM
On to level 254, I'm stuck here cos I like to match and make lots of diamonds ;) :confused: I don't know why , LOL

aileeniweeni
07-17-13, 12:44 PM
On to level 254, I'm stuck here cos I like to match and make lots of diamonds ;) :confused: I don't know why , LOL

LOL!! i know what you mean!! i looooove making those diamonds :D but you must resist the urge! if anyone can beat paul's score in this level, i bet you can! one day when (IF) i catch up, i think i'll come back to this one for some diamond making chaos ;)

Phaedrakiki
07-17-13, 03:22 PM
Yeah, unfortunately as we've all discovered, diamonds aren't all that helpful with super dirt. Exception is if you get 2 side-by-side...if you swap 'em it clears all gems & dirt on screen! I just did it again on my last digging level--so cool! (And rare, but sounds like level 254 might be a place it could happen!) This must be the timed level fancyjewel said I'd like, lol. ;)

finnth12
07-17-13, 07:57 PM
LOL!! i know what you mean!! i looooove making those diamonds :D but you must resist the urge! if anyone can beat paul's score in this level, i bet you can! one day when (IF) i catch up, i think i'll come back to this one for some diamond making chaos ;)

I wish I could, but I passed only with 1 star, but that's okay, I still can go back when I get a chance, lol. Right now I want to keep moving to new island a head of me.
So far I'm on the last level on this island. Again! Timed level and fire, make me want to pull my hair, :p
I'm out of energy now, I don't think so I can pass this level tonight, I'll try again tomorrow.

Not much stars on this island but that's okay for me...

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o763/finnth12/58e71d4c552d86ee35a5e3a1b33a3d9a_zpsc822e123.jpg

finnth12
07-17-13, 08:18 PM
Level 255, what I did was making horizontal blaster as much as I could, if possible even use bomb and blaster, it would help a lot. Or diamond and blaster swap them together, and saved your turn.

Level 256, I put off the fire on the upper of the snake. You could even make diamond here to break any snake, when it opened up the snake barrier, you have to do fast to put off the fire, not much time to concentrate on one side. If you put of only one side, the other side it will spread out fast on the other side then it won't be much time to get all the fire out.

Level 257, I agreed with Aileen, get rid of top left corner snake middle and bottom one is easy just use bomb and blaster. The hardest part was on the stone jewels, I couldn't pass this level with 1 energy, I had to do it twice. On my second try, I broke the top left snake and some in the middle, somehow I got reshuffle, IMO, this reshuffle was my advantage ( eventhough, as Aileen said that it will be hard to move around) but I managed to brake all the snake and I could break all the glass. Of course, I got lucky with bomb and blaster to break most of the glass, then I just moved the stone jewel around so I could break glass behind them.

finnth12
07-17-13, 08:21 PM
Yeah, unfortunately as we've all discovered, diamonds aren't all that helpful with super dirt. Exception is if you get 2 side-by-side...if you swap 'em it clears all gems & dirt on screen! I just did it again on my last digging level--so cool! (And rare, but sounds like level 254 might be a place it could happen!) This must be the timed level fancyjewel said I'd like, lol. ;)

I always swap 2 diamonds together to get that "grandpa funny looking" but I never knew it would clear all the dirt too, I have to try this next time. Thanks for the tip, Phaedrakiki!

finnth12
07-17-13, 09:16 PM
Woohoo, I got lucky, before I go to bed, I got 1 energy, I used it and I passed, I even got 3 stars and a gold :D.

Phaedrakiki
07-17-13, 10:34 PM
I always swap 2 diamonds together to get that "grandpa funny looking" but I never knew it would clear all the dirt too, I have to try this next time. Thanks for the tip, Phaedrakiki!

You're welcome! ;) I've known for a long time that 2 diamonds clears all jewels on screen, which in a digging level should also mean clearing any dirt that's touching a jewel. But I recently discovered it actually clears more than that--it wipes the entire board! (At least on the super dirt levels I've tried it on.) I wasn't completely sure the first time I tried it (was a timed level.) I was worried I'd imagined it, lol! But this last time I tried it on a moves level, and it definitely cleared all the dirt & super dirt. Yeah, 'ol gramps dude is pretty funny-looking, lol! ;)

aileeniweeni
07-19-13, 04:54 PM
(...) Yeah, 'ol gramps dude is pretty funny-looking, lol! ;)

hey guys! since you guys brought up the 'ol gramps dude, i thought you guys would be interested in seeing how TL conceptualized the artwork behind Jewel Mania. I've always really appreciated the artwork behind Jewel Mania from the characters to the scenery. So here's a link to the blog post: Say Hello to Bean Dog (http://blog.storm8.com/post/37843925389/say-hello-to-bean-dog)
pretty neat stuff!!

Phaedrakiki
07-19-13, 08:00 PM
Very cool! I've always admired & been curious about the various elements to the game. Thanks for sharing that!

Phaedrakiki
07-19-13, 08:13 PM
(...) doom jewels drop in :mad: so you gotta waste moves on making sure these don't detonate. the count seems to start at 8 on the doom jewels, but i swear i saw one that started at 7 (...)

Level 253: 40 glass in 40 moves (5JC.) I watched for them. Yes--some doom jewels start at 7! :o Unfortunately, they can get in hard to reach areas. Even with 7 or 8 moves, I had a couple doom jewels end rounds. But it's still a fun level! Nice and challenging, and no clock (yay!) It took me lots of tries, but I passed with a blaster + bomb & a diamond + blaster. Had a close call with a doom jewel on my passing round, too--don't wait too long when you see one!

finnth12
07-19-13, 08:54 PM
hey guys! since you guys brought up the 'ol gramps dude, i thought you guys would be interested in seeing how TL conceptualized the artwork behind Jewel Mania. I've always really appreciated the artwork behind Jewel Mania from the characters to the scenery. So here's a link to the blog post: Say Hello to Bean Dog (http://blog.storm8.com/post/37843925389/say-hello-to-bean-dog)
pretty neat stuff!!

That is so cool! The reason i do the diamonds swap is because i want to see the grandpa. Like saying: "YES!" LOL:cool:

finnth12
07-19-13, 08:57 PM
Actually, I'm addicted to this jewel mania. Thanks to who created this game and keep adding the new islands with lots of different tasks.

Phaedrakiki
07-19-13, 09:36 PM
Me too--love this game! :)

I see what everyone's been saying about Level 254: Dig 23 meters in 3:10 (only 3JC!) It really is special jewel chaos! That's fun, but it's actually quite difficult to dig down with all the "specials action" going on. 23 meters is a long way to go--only got halfway down so far. And as prev said, the doom jewels often take care of themselves, though one did explode on me in my 1st round (so you still have to be aware.) I'm guessing it's going to take me awhile to get used to this level & figure out how to dig faster amidst all these specials. Or it might come down to getting a perfect, lucky board (that activate specials at the right time, not when I'm waiting for my screen to scroll, lol!) We'll see...but in the meantime, to diamond or not? Hmmm...

Phaedrakiki
07-21-13, 03:52 AM
Ha, on my last energy of the night, I passed 254! My pulse is racing, hands shaking--man is that stressful! Took me a lot of tries to pass it, cuz so much time's wasted with all those special jewels going off on their own (but not getting the super dirt.) Plus there are spots easy to get hung up in (but practice makes you better!) ;) I only got one star when I passed, but I'm just glad I got thru. I *might* try again for a higher score; it wasn't too bad for a timed level. And I did find myself improving as I played. You have to learn to control the specials (as much as you can) and aim those blasters/bombs at the super dirt patches. The diamonds come in handy...swap two to clear all the dirt & super dirt quickly. Or aim a blaster/put a bomb where you want it & swap diamond w/jewel of that color. If you're digging down pretty quickly, you can prob get away with a diamond + blaster combo...I did when I passed. Blaster + bomb combo is the best, though. And you have SO many opportunities on this one--how you manage 'em will determine how well you do. (If you freak out under timed pressure you'll only get 1 star like me, lol!) ;)

Phaedrakiki
07-21-13, 05:28 AM
Level 255: Dig 6 meters in 40 moves (5JC.) Ahh, a moves level. Played it twice (couldn't sleep!) It's lots of fun, though I don't want to pass it too fast cuz there's a timed fire level after it (again!) The moves are very tight on this one. I'm getting to 3 or 4 when I run out ( I can see the goal line.) Prob just need a lucky board--haven't had good combo opportunities yet... ;)

Phaedrakiki
07-21-13, 04:25 PM
Level 256: 18 fire in 1:05 (5JC.) This is another insane fire level--so fast & impossible for me! Timer used to be only :45--can't believe players move/think that fast (& wish I did!) I expect to be stuck here for awhile, getting used to the layout and then hopefully, getting a lucky board (please!)

Phaedrakiki
07-22-13, 03:52 PM
Passed 256-yay! Had to press the extra time button once, but I'm so happy to be done! I had a lucky round, & wasn't sure how long it would take me to get that far again (****ing all the snakes.) I used a ton of vertical blasters, a blaster + bomb combo, and a diamond (for the last snake.) Once the snakes fell, it was easy to clear the remaining fire with regular matching.

Level 257: 31 glass in 50 moves (5JC.) I got a really lucky board and passed this on my 1st try. In a prev post, it was mentioned the top left snake was hard-to-reach. I actually had a match for it when I started, so that was awesome. (You might even want to only play boards that have good "snake matches"--or pause, & restart the level.) I was able to bring down the rest of that huge snake body early in the round with a diamond + blaster combo. It left me lots of moves to get rid of those pesky unbreakable/stone jewels. I ended up clearing all but one (which I moved.) Also used a blaster + bomb combo & other specials. This was a really fun level--I'll def be happy to come back for 3 stars!

Level 258: 16 fire in 2:20 (5JC.) This one looks very straightforward--but it's harder than you think due to the window cutouts. They added :45 to this since the photo post earlier in this thread (which I'm very thankful for.) Must've felt even more impossible! I'm sure I'll be stuck here awhile, familiarizing myself with the ways of another timed fire level (UGH!) I really dislike these...so stressful. Gotta try to move fast, but smart (so hard for me, lol!) Hope I'm not stuck too long~

Phaedrakiki
07-22-13, 09:29 PM
Omg, I hate level 258! There's no controlling that fire!!!

Phaedrakiki
07-23-13, 12:06 AM
Whatever. I got through 258 the only way I could -- $! ;) Had to use the extinguisher boost at the end, as well as extra time button. You have to buy/use the boost quickly, or in the process of looking for it the fire spreads! I suppose if you use boosts often, you get better at it. I don't want to get good at using boosts (can't afford it, either...lol!) I had a better-than-usual round, meaning the fire didn't spread to the top on both sides, lol. Nah, used a diamond + blaster early in the round, and then a blaster + bomb (but not low enough to get all the fire.) Then I matched like crazy, pressed xtra time button cuz going well, and used another diamond to get down to one flame (then ext. boost!) Now I'm off to Shark Cavern (http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?54057-Shark-Cavern-Levels-259-264)...an island with (I hope) few timed fire levels! ;)

tmpet3891
11-27-13, 06:52 PM
I'm sure I had a bit longer on this round. Think the time has gone up to 3.10. Still a big rush though.

Phaedrakiki
12-06-13, 10:14 AM
I'm sure I had a bit longer on this round. Think the time has gone up to 3.10. Still a big rush though.

Are you talking about 258? I checked, and mine is still 2:20 ( :(.) Bummer...I was going to try to try for more stars! ;)

VGailP
01-22-14, 06:24 PM
Omg, I hate level 258! There's no controlling that fire!!!

Maybe if I post that I will never get off this level...maybe I will go right back and beat it,lol. Uggggh!
Not enough time at all. Then when I got to 1 and 2 flames a couple times..there was no getting into that bottom corner.

Phaedrakiki
01-23-14, 11:38 AM
How much time do you have, VGail? My clock still says 2:20 for level 258. Regardless...good luck to you! (That was a crazy-difficult one for me. :mad:)

VGailP
01-24-14, 03:54 AM
How much time do you have, VGail? My clock still says 2:20 for level 258. Regardless...good luck to you! (That was a crazy-difficult one for me. :mad:)

I am still on it. Haven't played much in a couple days,went thru 2 energy refills tho,ugh! I still have 2:20. Thanks Kiki!

VGailP
01-24-14, 04:50 AM

Ok I am officially at the scream,cry,or throw the iPad level,lol.
So frustrated on this level..I cannot even seem to be able to use a diamond with anything if/when lucky enough to get one. I just end up having to waste it to keep fire from taking it. No way of making blasters or bombs with it. No way of getting fire out in bottom corners without a blaster :-(

VGailP
01-24-14, 01:01 PM

After the last time I posted I tried a couple more times and somehow beat it with about 1:30 left. Just had flames in center bottom not on the bottom right and left. WHewww

Phaedrakiki
01-25-14, 11:07 AM
Yay!!! Congrats! Yeah, it's bizarre how suddenly everything finally aligns and you get that perfect (sometimes easier) round that allows you to pass with time/moves to spare! I know ur relieved--happy for you! :D