PDA

View Full Version : The plural of fish is fish

cloudsail
12-07-12, 03:51 PM
I cringe a little every time I see "+2 Fishes" :-/

Morrisness
12-07-12, 04:01 PM
Lmao. At least they could say 'Fishies'. I think fishies would be acceptable......For a 3yr old, but acceptable nonetheless.

PikaSquirrel
12-07-12, 04:40 PM
Could you please send us a screenshot of this? Or let us know where you see this? Thank you.

maguar
12-07-12, 04:56 PM
It's when you collect multiple fish from your ponds/wells.

http://i.imgur.com/ZRYLh.png

monty85
12-07-12, 06:00 PM
Cringe all you want but both are correct. As the species of fish isn't named (although they all look identical) fishes is correct.
In British English (which lets face it is far superior :D) people use fishes all the time as the plural of fish.

The Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary says:
fish
noun (pl. fish or fishes) Fish is the usual plural form. The older form, fishes, can be used to refer to different kinds of fish.

yupiyupigumgum
12-07-12, 07:02 PM
Hmm....There's something fishy about this thread ....very educational ....

cloudsail
12-07-12, 11:59 PM
You learn something new every day :) I stand corrected. Though I'd probably still correct my kids if they wrote something like "there are many fishes in the sea". After all even dr seuss says "1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish" :D

hmgdanielson
12-08-12, 01:09 PM
I love the fishes!

elaur
04-07-13, 12:08 PM
I was about to post this. Fishes is correct for multiple species. Since it is a picture of one type of fish it should be + 2 fish.

The plural of fish is usually fish, but fishes has a few uses. In biology, for instance, fishes is used to refer to multiple species of fish. For instance, if you say you saw four fish when scuba diving, that means you saw four individual fish, but if you say you saw four fishes, we might infer that you saw an undetermined number of fish of four different species. Fishes? also serves as the plural possessive for fish?i.e., fishes?. And of course fishes is the present-progressive verb (e.g., she fishes in the river).
http://grammarist.com/usage/fish-fishes/

BiggerBubbles
04-07-13, 07:28 PM
Just to throw it out there, ever heard the expression 'Swimming with the fishes' even my ipad is not complaining about 'fishes'. I would just be very happy to get multiple collections of fish right now, no matter how it is spelt!

lotuskat
04-08-13, 01:51 PM
This thread is making me want to get some fish and chips...(>.<)

elaur
04-08-13, 04:39 PM
Just to throw it out there, ever heard the expression 'Swimming with the fishes' even my ipad is not complaining about 'fishes'. I would just be very happy to get multiple collections of fish right now, no matter how it is spelt!

Yeah because there is more than one type of fish in the water you are thrown into when you swim with the fishes.

I agree that fishes isn't spelled wrong. Although I'm not sure I agree with the usage. ;)

Mmm fish and chips.

iLLUMI2012
04-09-13, 11:03 PM
Ohhh, stop it!
Now I want to eat fishes n chips too.
LOL

Mmmm, crispy golden beer battered fish with hot chips and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

If you're in Sydney or if you ever visit Sydney, take the ferry over to Manly Beach and head over to The Pantry restaurant (on the beach). They have the best fish n chips and best tartare sauce. They also make the best fried zucchini flowers, lightly battered and fried and served with a lovely pesto sauce. yummmmm!
Wash that down with a lovely white wine or your favourite beer. Ahhhhh. :D

queenaleecia
04-10-13, 04:44 AM

*spelled

lotuskat
04-12-13, 06:59 AM
Now it's +2 Fish. I guess TL agreed with y'all!

blondiellie
04-12-13, 10:28 AM
Has anyone else noticed a significant drop in fish since the Royal Exchange? I have 4 ponds and 3 wells and I used to get at least one each and now out of the 7 I barely get 2 *fishes* ;-)

BiggerBubbles
04-14-13, 11:35 PM
*spelled

Spelt or spelled, depends on the country you're in. Apparently in the US they shudder at spelt, in Australia we are not so picky. Just so long as the fish keep biting I'm happy. Seems I read they fixed it.

brandonu
04-15-13, 06:39 AM
Has anyone else noticed a significant drop in fish since the Royal Exchange? I have 4 ponds and 3 wells and I used to get at least one each and now out of the 7 I barely get 2 *fishes* ;-)

Yup, same issue for me. I easily get more mermaid scales then fish now.

catcrack
04-15-13, 08:23 AM
This wasn't really an issue, but "1 Goals" is rather lame.

(=^ェ^=)

maguar
04-15-13, 03:14 PM
Spelt or spelled, depends on the country you're in. Apparently in the US they shudder at spelt, in Australia we are not so picky. Just so long as the fish keep biting I'm happy. Seems I read they fixed it.

I checked my game and it's now 2 fish